HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Okay, but what is his natural position? To me it's either a situational pass rusher or a 3-4 OLB. Making him a 4-3 MLB/OLB is just moving him from one un-natural position to another.

There's also something to be said for him being a football player. Take Urlacher. He played safety in college, could play any LB spot in any scheme and overall just was an asset on the field. How is Shea going to be any better against the run when he's being asked to take on a pulling guard? LBs have to shed blockers, which he's shown is a problem and cover, which is an unknown at the NFL level.

I like people having hope, but I sit back and think it's actally sad and avoidable. Pump the breaks and lower the expectations. He'll make the As it stand assume he's a situational guy. If he wins reps and ends up being a starter than that's great. If he doesn't than it's not much of a loss and you can move on to cheering for the guys actually good enough to stay on the field.

Why act as if Urlacher was any better at shedding blocks? He sucked at it. He also didn't play well at OLB before being moved inside due to injury. He also wasn't exactly a lock down middle linebacker in his first year at inside linebacker either. People really have foggy memories. Shit on Shea to linebacker if you please but you're not eliminating my last shred of hope he can pan out to being a useful player. I don't care in what capacity it may be as long as he produces.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
That is what I am saying...

WTF are these people talking about... Old, injured and off the field issues... Thats the guy we should just hand the starting job to...

That guy had 1 good game and it was against the Steelers who were average at best last year...

The guy has no range, is average in coverage, is average at taking on blockers, and didn't show the instincts or athleticism to be a starting middle linebacker last year...

His time passed him by years ago... he is 31 and hasn't played a full season in over 2 years... If you think its easy to keep yourself at your peak after losing 2 seasons of play and try to bounce back at 31 years old, you are an idiot... This guy has to dedicate himself more than ever now... Not showing up at OTAs isn't a great way to start...
Exactly who do you think will beat him out for the middle spot?? Bostic?? McClellin?? DJ will be our starting MLB for sure.

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why act as if Urlacher was any better at shedding blocks? He sucked at it. He also didn't play well at OLB before being moved inside due to injury. He also wasn't exactly a lock down middle linebacker in his first year at inside linebacker either. People really have foggy memories. Shit on Shea to linebacker if you please but you're not eliminating my last shred of hope he can pan out to being a useful player. I don't care in what capacity it may be as long as he produces.

How dare you have hope. I wish that bitch had stayed in Pandora's box, man. Excuse me, bro.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:

I actually think you are approaching this correctly. You have a shread of hope that he can be a useful player and LB is his best spot. I'm not trying to take that away from you at all. I'm trying to curb some of the over excitement on this position change. He's current running with the 2nd team as a MLB. As it stands barring an injury he's not on the field.

I'm thinking people should sit back and see how the LB competition plays out. People have formed strong opinions based off..... nothing.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
It sucks so much I corrected myself? I know this skill is foreign to you since you can't seem to admit when you're wrong.

I know right? You're so smart, smart enough to believe in the first place that one play by Williams would displace him as the starter. BTW if Williams does lose the MIKE job it will be to Bostic who is ahead of Shea.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I actually think you are approaching this correctly. You have a shread of hope that he can be a useful player and LB is his best spot. I'm not trying to take that away from you at all. I'm trying to curb some of the over excitement on this position change. He's current running with the 2nd team as a MLB. As it stands barring an injury he's not on the field.

I'm thinking people should sit back and see how the LB competition plays out. People have formed strong opinions based off..... nothing.

Its funny you mention he's running with the 2's and saying as it stands barring injury he's not on the field then go on to say people have formed strong opinions based off nothing. You just contradicted yourself. DJ was not at the first OTA open to the media and he was at this one so of course they were going to give him the first team reps this time around. It means nothing either way no matter who is getting the reps where. The only thing I would possibly draw as a conclusion so far is that they appear to want Shea to become a MIKE backer due to the majority of his reps being at MIKE between both OTAs and since he played exclusively at MIKE with the 2's in the 2nd OTA open to the media. All in all its still just OTAs regardless so its kind of stupid to make any assumptions.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I also agree. I don't think that anyone is happy that SM is in this situation. Supposed to be a DE, even if only situational, and it didn't work out. So, either find him a new home or cut him. I think the choice is pretty clear. If were between him and a clear cut, long term, strong starter then sure, cut him. But that isn't the case. Even future HOF, Urlacher, as noted above had a rough start. Let it play out and lets see what happens. Haters are still going to hate but I don't think its a useful approach.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I know right? You're so smart, smart enough to believe in the first place that one play by Williams would displace him as the starter. BTW if Williams does lose the MIKE job it will be to Bostic who is ahead of Shea.

Show me a post where I declared Williams was going to be displaced as the starter or named anyone as the starting MIKE? IT...IS...A...OPEN...COMPETITION...

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
To me, if a player can "only" play OLB in a 3-4, then they have limited value in the NFL. Most players that play OLB in a 3-4 in the NFL could also play OLB in a 4-3 and do it just as well. You think Clay Matthews wouldn't do well on the Bears?

Rawky

Liked Posts:

Foggy memories? Urlacher was defensive rookie of the year. Seems he started out pretty good to me.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Were talking about the best rookie award here not DPOY. You can be the best rookie while still having holes in your game and Urlacher was far from a finished product his rookie season. You misunderstood that post entirely if you thought it was aimed at knocking down Urlacher's career or accomplishments. It was merely saying that his first year playing linebacker was not without its difficulties in adjusting to a new position.

Celks

Liked Posts:

And you have determined that all from a few OTA practices, without pads on? I love how you attempted to disown people for making their own assumptions and then here you go again with another one.

Celks

Liked Posts:
To me, if a player can "only" play OLB in a 3-4, then they have limited value in the NFL. Most players that play OLB in a 3-4 in the NFL could also play OLB in a 4-3 and do it just as well. You think Clay Matthews wouldn't do well on the Bears?

How often do you see the Bears OLB rush the outside on almost every snap? How often have you see Matthews drop back into coverage? No I dont think Matthews would do that great in a 4-3 system, he is not built for it.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

As far as Shea goes, I am rooting for him, and hoping, that is all we can do. Now to Urlacher, you were right about the first two games, bad first game OLB, sat second game, next 13 games was as great as you can ever expect a rookie to play. He led the team in tackles and sacks, got Defensive rookie of the year from two different places, and was an alternate pro bowl middle linebacker. Don't think you can do more than that your rookie year. Bad example.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:

Urlacher was a stud taking on blockers, he earned the reputation of being a guy who struggles to take on blocks from Paul Zimmerman or Dr. z of Sports illustrated because Urlacher didn't play like Butkus did, essentially a direct quote. Most of the time Urlacher didn't have to take on blockers because he was able to shoot past blockers and make a tackle before the blocker could get on him. This was associated with Urlacher's closing speed which was so fast he couldn't be blocked.

As far as your alleged Urlacher rookie year problems you made that shit up to fit to an argument you're using to defend how bad McClellin sucks. McClellin sucks, Urlacher racked up 101 tackles and 8 sacks as a rookie in 14 starts, he won rookie of the year honors and never looked back.

So,for you to lament about short term memory problems among your peers while ignoring a MIKE who racked up 8 sacks or just being wrong is why you're a fucktard.

Seriously who defends McClellin by trying to rip a future hall of fame linebacker?

Rawky

Liked Posts:
Were talking about the best rookie award here not DPOY. You can be the best rookie while still having holes in your game and Urlacher was far from a finished product his rookie season. You misunderstood that post entirely if you thought it was aimed at knocking down Urlacher's career or accomplishments. It was merely saying that his first year playing linebacker was not without its difficulties in adjusting to a new position.

I didn't misunderstand it. You're trying to use urlacher's struggles as a rookie to justify your hope that SM can be an impact player and it just doesn't work.

I'm very hopeful that he can turn his athletic ability into production. I'd even say I'm optimistic that he will, but you're comparing apples and oranges.

Being that nmsu(local college team) played Boise st every year I got real familiar with him, he's going to have the ability and the opportunity to be a good player in this league, but it's up to him to make it work. There's no comparison between him and urlacher other than they're both white

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:

Not seeing "over excitement" about this. Also fwiw, I think 2nd team Mike is exactly where he needs to be right now. That way Bostic can continue to develop on the field and McClellin can ease into his transition to LB - pitting McClellin & Bostic against each other for starter at SAM is a mistake imo. If he doesn't have what it takes to replace an injured or (next year) fazed-out Williams then we can cast him loose.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Urlacher was a stud taking on blockers, he earned the reputation of being a guy who struggles to take on blocks from Paul Zimmerman or Dr. z of Sports illustrated because Urlacher didn't play like Butkus did, essentially a direct quote. Most of the time Urlacher didn't have to take on blockers because he was able to shoot past blockers and make a tackle before the blocker could get on him. This was associated with Urlacher's closing speed which was so fast he couldn't be blocked.

As far as your alleged Urlacher rookie year problems you made that shit up to fit to an argument you're using to defend how bad McClellin sucks. McClellin sucks, Urlacher racked up 101 tackles and 8 sacks as a rookie in 14 starts, he won rookie of the year honors and never looked back.

So,for you to lament about short term memory problems among your peers while ignoring a MIKE who racked up 8 sacks or just being wrong is why you're a fucktard.

Seriously who defends McClellin by trying to rip a future hall of fame linebacker?

You seriously must be Special person. Only you can turn a simple concept into a crusade. McClellin is new to a position. Urlacher was new to a position. That was as far as I was taking that argument, period. End of story. At no point did I try to make it sound like McClellin is as capable as Urlacher was. The comparison was all about not expecting a player that just got moved to a new position to look acclimated to it within a few fucking OTAs.

For the record Urlacher was not a lock down coverage linebacker during his rookie year. Glorify him all you want but his rookie year was not perfection even though it drew ROY honors and nothing you say can convince me otherwise of his penchant for getting blocked throughout his career. He may have been "unblockable" in his early years when he played a very downhill style of play but that sure as shit didn't last forever.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I didn't misunderstand it. You're trying to use urlacher's struggles as a rookie to justify your hope that SM can be an impact player and it just doesn't work.

I'm very hopeful that he can turn his athletic ability into production. I'd even say I'm optimistic that he will, but you're comparing apples and oranges.

Being that nmsu(local college team) played Boise st every year I got real familiar with him, he's going to have the ability and the opportunity to be a good player in this league, but it's up to him to make it work. There's no comparison between him and urlacher other than they're both white

Right, because you can tell me what I am saying. Seems legit. You will fit in nicely with the rest of the people that put words in people's mouths.

Read the first paragraph of the previous post. Its exactly what I meant with the comparison. I was at no point saying McClellin is on Urlacher's level. Fucks sake.

Rawky

Liked Posts:
Right, because you can tell me what I am saying. Seems legit. You will fit in nicely with the rest of the people that put words in people's mouths.

Read the first paragraph of the previous post. Its exactly what I meant with the comparison. I was at no point saying McClellin is on Urlacher's level. Fucks sake.

Yes, when you say something I can tell you said it...how is that difficult to understand? SHEA ISN'T URLACHER. Your point was wrong first of all, urlacher was AP defensive rookie of the year for a reason. You can't say Urlacher sucked at this and got better so Shea can too. They're different people with different levels of ability/athleticism.

And we have barely any idea what Shea's ability to take on blocks from nfl linemen is because he's never done it from the linebacker position.

You made a direct comparison of their ability to improve and I told you it's horseshit to try and do so. Let shae be shae and stop trying to attach urlacher to him.