HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I stand corrected Biff. Make that two people.

Celks

Liked Posts:
Not seeing "over excitement" about this. Also fwiw, I think 2nd team Mike is exactly where he needs to be right now. That way Bostic can continue to develop on the field and McClellin can ease into his transition to LB - pitting McClellin & Bostic against each other for starter at SAM is a mistake imo. If he doesn't have what it takes to replace an injured or (next year) fazed-out Williams then we can cast him loose.

McClellin doesn't necessarily have the time to just ease into transition of becoming a LB if he wants to remain a Chicago Bear. He needs to compete so the Bears could evaluate him for next year and if they want to resign him. Obviously Emery has a plan but I it were me and McClellin didn't see the field much this year he would be released.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
You seriously must be Special person. Only you can turn a simple concept into a crusade. McClellin is new to a position. Urlacher was new to a position. That was as far as I was taking that argument, period. End of story. At no point did I try to make it sound like McClellin is as capable as Urlacher was. The comparison was all about not expecting a player that just got moved to a new position to look acclimated to it within a few fucking OTAs.

For the record Urlacher was not a lock down coverage linebacker during his rookie year. Glorify him all you want but his rookie year was not perfection even though it drew ROY honors and nothing you say can convince me otherwise of his penchant for getting blocked throughout his career. He may have been "unblockable" in his early years when he played a very downhill style of play but that sure as shit didn't last forever.

So,Urlacher was new to playing linebacker but wasn't a good coverage linebacker his rookie year, despite being an All-American safety at New Mexico. You really aren't good with facts are you?

Would you like to continue down your path of useless drivel in defense of Shea McClellin?

BTW WTF is your obsession with McClellin?

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
Desperdo has made some calls so I will roll with D.J. being the starter also. I hope Bostic can play SLB with Shea coming in on pass rushing downs (3rd and long)
first rounds on me lol

I hope Bostic beats out at SLB; I'm with you on that. Shea is such an unknown. He was out of position for sure , but he just seemed so outmatched on the field. If Shea can come in on 3 rd n longs/ passing downs: that would be huge. I feel bad for the guy, from all the interviews n such, he seems like he genuinely cares about football and being good. I just can't fathom another first round bust. McClellin and Carimi are too much

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm not a hater, jsut a realist. Anyway, he's got a lot of work ahead of him and I wish him the best. Do I expect him to make meaningful contributions? No. Am I rooting against him? Again, no.

Also since when is a former first rounder-turned-bust get to be an underdog? His failures on the field somehow gave him this lovable trait that makes you want to root for him?

A swift kick in the ass is more to my liking.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't understand why everybody has to call this before we've seen him take a single snap at LB. It's been his natural position since he was drafted. Lets see if he acclimates. If it works out, he'll probably even get more sacks. If not, we'll cut bait.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So,Urlacher was new to playing linebacker but wasn't a good coverage linebacker his rookie year, despite being an All-American safety at New Mexico. You really aren't good with facts are you?

Would you like to continue down your path of useless drivel in defense of Shea McClellin?

BTW WTF is your obsession with McClellin?

LOL I don't even really like McClellin all that much to begin with. All I am saying is don't expect him to look good right now when he has not even been practicing at the position since high school for god's sake. Just like Tim Jennings saying its an adjustment going from outside corner back inside its also going to be an adjustment for McClellin to go from DE to LB.

Seriously though these are the times I wish I had video editing skills because I have an assload of games saved on DVD. More than enough to prove a point.

Rawky

Liked Posts:
LOL I don't even really like McClellin all that much to begin with. All I am saying is don't expect him to look good right now when he has not even been practicing at the position since high school for god's sake. Just like Tim Jennings saying its an adjustment going from outside corner back inside its also going to be an adjustment for McClellin to go from DE to LB.

Seriously though these are the times I wish I had video editing skills because I have an assload of games saved on DVD. More than enough to prove a point.

I think you're right about that. Shea has not played any linebacker in 2 years and none at all at the pro level. It's unrealistic to expect him to come out of the gates running

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
I think you're right about that. Shea has not played any linebacker in 2 years and none at all at the pro level. It's unrealistic to expect him to come out of the gates running

Which is the point, any idea of this being an open competition is pretty silly because Shea isn't in a position to compete against Williams or Bostic which is why the reports out OTAa right now have him behind both Williams and Bostic. Emery can pay lip service to the masses and say this is an "open competition", but last year Bostic did everything possible to win the job but was benched immediately upon Williams' return. It didn't matter that Williams was coming off of a suspension, didn't matter that it was a new team and new system didn't matter that he was coming off a camp injury that caused him to miss the entirety of camp and the pre-season games. Williams was handed the job out of,the gates. What happens this year when Williams is healthy throughout camp? Open competition? Sure that's the PR statement.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Thanks Biff. Obviously you know who will get the starting job. I mean its not like that has blown up in your face before or anything like that.

Rawky

Liked Posts:
Thanks Biff. Obviously you know who will get the starting job. I mean its not like that has blown up in your face before or anything like that.

I don't know how it's going to shake out, but I personally don't think dj Williams is the answer. Not only has he missed a huge amount of time in the last few years it seemed like he slowed down last year. If Shea can pick up the coverage part quickly there's no reason he shouldn't start.

Make your scheme fit your players not the other way around

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't know how it's going to shake out, but I personally don't think dj Williams is the answer. Not only has he missed a huge amount of time in the last few years it seemed like he slowed down last year. If Shea can pick up the coverage part quickly there's no reason he shouldn't start.

Neither do I but I don't presume to know who will win the position. I don't even care who wins as long as its not a sham competition as Biff describes it because that helps no one at all, much less the team. The only thing I agree with him so far is that Bostic is in fact ahead of McClellin at this point.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:

Neither do I but I don't presume to know who will win the position. I don't even care who wins as long as its not a sham competition as Biff describes it because that helps no one at all, much less the team. The only thing I agree with him so far is that Bostic is in fact ahead of McClellin at this point.

What evidence do we have that McClellin can come in and be the field general of the defense? What gives you a high level of confidence check that ANY confidence that Shea can be one of if not THE leader of this defense. We know Briggs has never been willing to be a leader he's expressed time and time again that being the man in charge of the defense is not his desire. Add to that he came back from injury out of shape and overweight, Briggs quit last year AFTER his injury not a guy I want leading. Tillman, sure but if he can't stay healthy then who?

The Bears had Brown, Urlacher and Mike Brown on defense when they were at their best. Then they had Urlacher and Tillman. There needs to be a leader on defense that knows at a minimum how to call the defense get the correct signals in and make the proper adjustments, how does Shea McClellin show a shred of ability to be that guy while still playing at a high enough level to supplant Williams.

Williams being a weak link is obvious as is Bostic but they're both better than Shea. Knowing the weaknesses of the middle linebacker position though also leaves Emery open to criticism for his mismanagement of the position after deciding to move on from Urlacher.

None of this is presumptuous when you consider the evidence.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
What evidence do we have that McClellin can come in and be the field general of the defense? What gives you a high level of confidence check that ANY confidence that Shea can be one of if not THE leader of this defense. We know Briggs has never been willing to be a leader he's expressed time and time again that being the man in charge of the defense is not his desire. Add to that he came back from injury out of shape and overweight, Briggs quit last year AFTER his injury not a guy I want leading. Tillman, sure but if he can't stay healthy then who?

The Bears had Brown, Urlacher and Mike Brown on defense when they were at their best. Then they had Urlacher and Tillman. There needs to be a leader on defense that knows at a minimum how to call the defense get the correct signals in and make the proper adjustments, how does Shea McClellin show a shred of ability to be that guy while still playing at a high enough level to supplant Williams.

Williams being a weak link is obvious as is Bostic but they're both better than Shea. Knowing the weaknesses of the middle linebacker position though also leaves Emery open to criticism for his mismanagement of the position after deciding to move on from Urlacher.

None of this is presumptuous when you consider the evidence.

Shea's gonna beast this season and you are gonna have to :dealwithit:

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
1234443297_ken_park_suicide.gif