Jordan Howard with three touchdowns against Green Bay

Mjiton

Liked Posts:
Maybe basing stats off of 250 Howard attempts last year to Montgomery's 37 isn't the best analytical evidence for or against either one.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I feel bad for Howard's treatment here. I think I saw a stat saying in his time here he was the 3rd most productive back in the league. Which is pretty good on some not good offenses.

I also feel bad bc I benched him in one of my leagues the last second. Son of a bitch. ha

He has the 3rd most rushing yards since coming into the league. Only Zeke and Gurley are ahead of him. He's a good, solid RB.

94c4lt1

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Think it is the other way round. PFR (Pro Football Reference) has his yards before contact as 1.8 and after contact of 2.0. PFF has his yards before contact at 1.0 as this article notes and 2.7 after contact. So PFF is saying he got even less help from his OL than PFR is saying. In any event, the point here is the OL was bad.

As for Monty, PFR has his yards before contact at 2.6 and 1.4 after. PFF has it at 1.4 before and 2.6 after. So both PFR and PFF are saying that Monty has gotten more help from the OL this year than Howard did last year.

I'm Special person. ?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Maybe basing stats off of 250 Howard attempts last year to Montgomery's 37 isn't the best analytical evidence for or against either one.

Agreed that Monty's data is currently small sample size. But people are currently making assertions about Monty bashed off those 37 carries so at that point it is fair game to point out that Howard actually has a slightly higher yards after contact per rush rate.

So there is really no reason to be gushing over Monty breaking tackles at this point as if he is getting a ton of extra yards after contact relative to Howard.

Mjiton

Liked Posts:
Agreed that Monty's data is currently small sample size. But people are currently making assertions about Monty bashed off those 37 carries so at that point it is fair game to point out that Howard actually has a slightly higher yards after contact per rush rate.

So there is really no reason to be gushing over Monty breaking tackles at this point as if he is getting a ton of extra yards after contact relative to Howard.
I gush about Montgomery based on what my eyes see. I see the potential. I also gushed over Howard. And I believe what I am seeing is that Montgomery can be just as effective in Nagy's offense as Howard was in Fox's. And am hoping that means "more" effective than Howard was in Nagys. (Meaning the runs didn't look so obvious) That is a matter of time though. Plus making people miss won't ever be "after initial contact". 2 different styles. Howard's power back run style is closer to what I've seen from Davis so far. Either way I'm excited to see a rookie immediately contributing that is flashing he could match what we lost with Howard and perhaps just maybe exceed.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Wasnt referring to you specifically but the Howard haters.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Wasnt referring to you specifically but the Howard haters.

Is there more than one? It's weird to hate Howard. He's good at what he does, but he's not an all around back. Everyone knows this.

Bearshomer

Liked Posts:
Jordan Howard

53 Carries
248 yards
4 rushing touchdowns
4.7 YPC
47 receiving yards
1 receiving touchdown

Montgomery

69 carries
225 yards