Josh Hamilton?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So you agree with us than Dewey :thinking:

I didnt really read the posts. I saw the thread title and got a chuckle. couldnt resist posting.

Im hoping CO comes back so I can hear him say how the cubs are going to get him, do a 1 year sig bet with him again for the 3rd straight year, I will win and he will be gone again.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It really sucks not having CO and Poodski around anymore. I got some good laughs from them and they kept me entertained.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well to sum it up Dewey we all pretty much agree that Hamilton doesn't fit the plans with his age. I think the flavor of the offseason as you put it will be Hamels or Greinke. While most of us doubt either will happen it is fun to dream about the possibilities of adding another front line starter to the mix with Garza and increasingly looking legit Shark.

ChiSportsFan17

Liked Posts:
He actually once was in the Cubs system but they got rid of him.

It's best just to rebuild at this point.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
He actually once was in the Cubs system but they got rid of him.

It's best just to rebuild at this point.

It was a transactional issue. This is one of the most prevalent and misleading critiques of the Cubs.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
It was a transactional issue. This is one of the most prevalent and misleading critiques of the Cubs.
Yeah Jim Hendry made a lot of mistakes in his time here. Trading Josh Hamilton wasn't one of them.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
No No No No No

Why would they pass on a 27 y/o power hitting 1B but then sign a guy who is 30+ with problems off the field. There is a very good chance he gets his money and gets into off field trouble again. You guys know i love to spend money but he not the right guy to spend money

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Use the money on Hamels and a bullpen:

Starting rotation could be:
1) Matt Garza
2) Cole Hamels)
3) Ryan Dempster (if he's not traded and takes a discount)
4) Paul Maholm
5) Jeff Samarzija

If Dempster does not come back:
1) Matt Garza
2) Cole Hamels
3) Jeff Samarzija
4) Paul Maholm
5) Travis Wood

Maybe a line-up of: (if DeJesus is traded)
1) CF Tony Campana
2) SS Starlin Castro
3) 1B Anthony Rizzo
4) LF Brian LaHair
5) RF Brett Jackson
6) 3B Ian Stewart (for now)
7) C Welington Castillo (with Clenvenger getting good playing time)
8) 2B Darwin Barney/Adrian Cardenas
9) P Pitcher

...now the pen!

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Use the money on Hamels and a bullpen:

Starting rotation could be:
1) Matt Garza
2) Cole Hamels)
3) Ryan Dempster (if he's not traded and takes a discount)
4) Paul Maholm
5) Jeff Samarzija

If Dempster does not come back:
1) Matt Garza
2) Cole Hamels
3) Jeff Samarzija
4) Paul Maholm
5) Travis Wood

Maybe a line-up of: (if DeJesus is traded)
1) CF Tony Campana
2) SS Starlin Castro
3) 1B Anthony Rizzo
4) LF Brian LaHair
5) RF Brett Jackson
6) 3B Ian Stewart (for now)
7) C Welington Castillo (with Clenvenger getting good playing time)
8) 2B Darwin Barney/Adrian Cardenas
9) P Pitcher

...now the pen!

That lineup still the worse in baseball. No matter what the SP or RP is they wont score enough runs to win

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
That lineup still the worse in baseball. No matter what the SP or RP is they wont score enough runs to win

I disagree. There will be more changes, but that's what it is with no moves for the most part. Jackson and Rizzo will be a big spark club and bring power. The offense this year isn't too bad, so they can only get better.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Also, the NL Central sucks. Berkman may be done and may call it quits too.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
I disagree. There will be more changes, but that's what it is with no moves for the most part. Jackson and Rizzo will be a big spark club and bring power. The offense this year isn't too bad, so they can only get better.

Jackson's ceiling is Curtis Granderson before he got to the Yanks. That's solid, and I would gladly take it, but it's not a centerpiece. He's having huge contact issues at AAA right now, he's not a sure thing really. He's not a superstar.

Rizzo has more upside, but I dunno if he's the second coming of Pujols. He could just be an above average 1B, kinda like Konerko. Solid, but also not a savior.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jackson's ceiling is Curtis Granderson before he got to the Yanks. That's solid, and I would gladly take it, but it's not a centerpiece. He's having huge contact issues at AAA right now, he's not a sure thing really. He's not a superstar.

Rizzo has more upside, but I dunno if he's the second coming of Pujols. He could just be an above average 1B, kinda like Konerko. Solid, but also not a savior.

Yeah I think unfortunately a lot of people are going to be disappointed with what Jackson is once he gets here simply because they've been hearing about him for so long at this point. Jackson is likely to max out as a guy that is at least average in all areas, but nothing will really stand out as amazing. The contact issues are concerning for him to even reach that level.

Rizzo has to be the hope for an impact level player, which Konerko would be in that level. The odds are pretty long that he turns into Pujols since Pujols is a pretty special player, but the Cubs need Rizzo to be an above average first baseman for this to work.

Ultimately the biggest impact of adding these two guys might be just the continued change in approach as the free swinging athletes of the Hendry regime are slowly being replaced by guys capable and willing of working a count.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:

Wait a moment. Paulie today is a borderline hall of famer. Keeps it up and he's in

It's quite a bit more than above average.

bbaker

Liked Posts:
1.) Like everyone else is saying, I highly doubt Chicago shells out the $$ he wants.

2.) Giving Hamilton a big contract will be a terrible mistake, whoever might do it (likely Texas). Between the way he plays (recklessly) & the abuse his body has taken due to the drugs, it makes him a very fragile player. Knowing the Cubs luck, he'll sign with them & then land on the 60-day DL.

3.) He's a manimal right now, but he's having his last hooray. He's on the decline.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:

Right, cuz your lineup would be what?
CF Matt Kemp
LF Josh Hamilton
RF Jacoby Ellsbury
3B Ryan Zimmerman
2B Robinson Cano
SS Starlin Castro
1B Adrian Gonzalez
and C Brian McCann

with a rotation of
Garza
Hamels
Cain
Wainwright
and Ricky Romero
and because Ricketts loves to spend we'll get Chapman give him 100 million dollars and make him the closer. :troll:

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

:nelson:

what?!

As of now:
405 Homeruns, 284 BA .360 OBP and an 863 OPS.

yeah konerko doesnt do much, not a savior or anything. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.