Justin Fields: Andy Dalton has completely taken me under his wing.

Canth

Liked Posts:
He said in the same availability that Dalton sometimes notices Fields staying late, and so Dalton himself stays late “to tell me what I’m doing wrong.”

How noble of Dalton!
Yeah, and PFT took that quote and decided to make up a story that Dalton is correcting Fields’ throwing mechanics issue that was detailed by Simms.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
I've always wondered how the union reacts to this kind of thing. Anyone's who has been a union employee, particularly in the public sector (which obviously the NFLPA is not), knows that when guys start going "above and beyond" like this it is an almost surefire way to get the union massively pissed off.

Its great he's doing it, but its also a precedent that I guarantee the players don't want to see set.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
My point was that Dalton isn’t good, not that Trubisky is good.

By cherry picking the last three years, so yeah. I stand by his dead average career in Cincinnati and his being a serviceable one year option at this point in his career.

Yup. I really don’t get the vitriol.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
By cherry picking the last three years, so yeah. I stand by his dead average career in Cincinnati and his being a serviceable one year option at this point in his career.

Yup. I really don’t get the vitriol.
It’s not cherry picking. It’s comparison with a player who’s only been starting for the last three years. I can’t pull up Mitch’s NFL stats from 2016.

Also, that’s much more indicative of what kind of player the Bears are getting than stretching it out to a distant past that is no longer relevant.

If you’re wondering how fast I run a mile, it’s more relevant to look at my splits from recently than it would be to look at my splits from years ago.

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It’s not cherry picking. It’s comparison with a player who’s only been starting for the last three years. I can’t pull up Mitch’s NFL stats from 2016.

Also, that’s much more indicative of what kind of player the Bears are getting than stretching it out to a distant past that is no longer relevant.

If you’re wondering how fast I run a mile, it’s more relevant to look at my splits from recently than it would be to look at my splits from years ago.

So years with Dalton on bad teams and Mitch with teams where he's carried by his defense?

Toast88

Liked Posts:
So years with Dalton on bad teams and Mitch with teams where he's carried by his defense?
I mean, we might be splitting hairs here. I don’t disagree that he might be an O.K. one-year stopgap. I’m just saying, he’s not good.

And I’m not suggesting the Bears should’ve kept Trubisky, but I don’t think Dalton is much of an upgrade.

I think his good years from Cincy are gone. I don’t think they’re coming back. The numbers seem to bear that out, but if folks disagree, that’s fine.

Last edited:

Nail Polish

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I mean, we might be splitting hairs here. I don’t disagree that he might be an O.K. one-year stopgap. I’m just saying, he’s not good.

And I’m not suggesting the Bears should’ve kept Trubisky, but I don’t think Dalton is much of an upgrade.

I think his good years from Cincy are gone. I don’t think they’re coming back. The numbers seem to bear that out, but if folks disagree, that’s fine.
What scares me is that the Bears are trusting a potential superstar to get tutored by a mediocre player in Dalton.. IMHO, they should do everything in their power to keep Fields as far away from Dalton as possible.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
What scares me is that the Bears are trusting a potential superstar to get tutored by a mediocre player in Dalton.. IMHO, they should do everything in their power to keep Fields as far away from Dalton as possible.
This is such a bad take it's hard to believe you really mean it. Some of the best offensive coaches are qbs that never had any real success or even made the nfl. And Dalton may not be a great qb, but from everything I've read about him he's a good teammate and intelligent. Understanding the game and having the physical tools to be great are very different

Nail Polish

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is such a bad take it's hard to believe you really mean it. Some of the best offensive coaches are qbs that never had any real success or even made the nfl. And Dalton may not be a great qb, but from everything I've read about him he's a good teammate and intelligent. Understanding the game and having the physical tools to be great are very different
All that may be correct, but Fields can get all that from a qualified QB coach without learning Daltons negatives.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
Moving forward towards next year who should the bears target as a back up qb. I'd assume Dalton will continue looking for starting opportunities therefore he likely won't want to stay here.

I think Tyrod Taylor could be a good option as he's a good enough backup and athletic enough to run some similar concepts they might run with Fields in case he needs to fill in for any reason.

Nail Polish

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Do you not think Dalton recognizes and is coached about his mistakes? Have you seen for example after interceptions they usually look at video with coaches. You think they don't make corrections on the mistake?

So...Do as I say, and not as I do?

That's a great strategy.

We are just going to have to disagree on this.. IMO bringing Dalton in in the first place was a mistake, and now they are letting him teach their future superstar.

Bad Move

BriGuy

Liked Posts:
All that may be correct, but Fields can get all that from a qualified QB coach without learning Daltons negatives.
Wtf are you talking about. Your posts in this thread are quite possibly the worst posts I’ve seen on any fan message board. A qb isn’t going to teach another qb mechanics on throwing the ball. I don’t know why I’m responding to such and idiot of a poster. You fucking suck.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:

I think the point of my disagreement with you is whether Dalton is a good mentor and influence on Fields, not so much his skills as the starter.

It’s not exactly a secret that Dalton isn’t the future of the franchise. Him giving advice and mentoring, based on him being a hardworking individual who maximized his skills, is an asset.

Think of it like this, was Evander Holyfield great because of talent? Nope. Sheer hard work. I see Dalton as in the same mould.

Would you want Michael Jordan with all his physical gifts teaching you or Stephon Curry who willed himself through hard work and grit to be the player he is, despite his athleticism?

Again, I see Dalton as a good asset for Fields, right now, and it gives us the luxury of starting Fields when he’s ready.

Last edited: