Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
You might not like it, but it's true. The WRs/TEs are constantly in mismatches. The QB just couldn't get the ball in the right spots. Problem with Nagy is when he calls a game, he calls shit with no rhyme or reason. His affinity for trick plays, specifically after the team finds a groove, constantly kills drives and momentum.
LOL, Matt Nagy is possibly the worst play designer that exists in the NFL currently, that is like water is wet level true. I can't believe anyone is still buying into that offensive guru shtick.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I don't mind sitting him week 1 to see if the OL is manageably or QB PTSD bad. But as far as game film, I am pretty sure there are reams of real defense game film some as recent as 8 or 9 months ago available to view at Halas Hall.

True, and teams will play him differently defensively than they play Dalton, but I think a few weeks of seeing it live and on film will help. I think he should start week 4 personally. The schedule doesn't really get any easier as the season goes on.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
LOL, Matt Nagy is possibly the worst play designer that exists in the NFL currently, that is like water is wet level true. I can't believe anyone is still buying into that offensive guru shtick.

You're confusing his terrible play calling/bad QB play with actual play design.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
You're confusing his terrible play calling/bad QB play with actual play design.
The top 3 WR/TE targets for the Bears ranked 44th (Mooney), 57th(Graham) and 117th(Robinson)in separation last season. Not sure what you are confusing with good play design but it ain't good play design.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I disagree and here's why. Sean Payton, who is a fantastic play-caller and generally designs offenses that are very potent, has taken plays from Matt Nagy (and even admitted it). Also, if you watch the breakdowns by Adipost, Kohlman and others, there is rarely a situation when someone isn't open. There are however a lot of times when the ball doesn't get to the most optimal target.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nagy does not use his players right. Still hasn't figured out Cohen (yes, I know he's injured). With guys like ARob and Mooney and Kmet now he should be able to hit easy slants, and digs/hooks to pick up yardage, and then utilize the run game, but he calls TERRIBLE plays.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I disagree and here's why. Sean Payton, who is a fantastic play-caller and generally designs offenses that are very potent, has taken plays from Matt Nagy (and even admitted it). Also, if you watch the breakdowns by Adipost, Kohlman and others, there is rarely a situation when someone isn't open. There are however a lot of times when the ball doesn't get to the most optimal target.
What's up with all the plays where there's like 3 people sorta open but all in the same place? Sup with that?

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
The top 3 WR/TE targets for the Bears ranked 44th (Mooney), 57th(Graham) and 117th(Robinson)in separation last season. Not sure what you are confusing with good play design but it ain't good play design.

Mooney was at 3.2. Kmet, who ranked 14th, was at 3.6. Jimmy Graham was tied with Kelce, and Diggs. Kmet ranked above Tyreek Hill. Robinson isn't a separator to begin with. Again, you're convoluting these things to try and prove a point. His scheme creates mismatches and guys are always open. That doesn't mean they're standing there with nobody around them.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
I linked a podcast where the guys are talking about Murray who has developed a habit of leaving the pocket too soon and how it's stunted his growth. It's not just about being more productive now. It's also about giving them the tools to make a better build with. I know a lot of guys here would like to see what happened with Watson but they simplified the O for him and I firmly believe he took too many shots and has been lucky to not get dinged. Watson also started 38 college games to Fields' 22.

Look, I wouldn't rail against starting Fields Sunday. I'm just saying I understand.
I don’t think Murray is a good comparison or example to use with Fields. Murray was known as a running QB coming into the draft. Those habits of leaving the pocket were already there. I would compare Fields more to Watson or Mahomes who look to stay in the pocket and run if necessary. We don’t know if Fields will ever get the tools around him and you can’t wait for that.

Point is being on the sideline helps on a minimum level. There really isn’t much you can gain by holding a clipboard.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
What's up with all the plays where there's like 3 people sorta open but all in the same place? Sup with that?
I don't know that a blanket-answer would apply; it's probably a case-by-case basis. It could be a receiver being in the wrong place, it could be they were supposed to rub, or as suggested it could be bad play design. But I've heard anecdotes from more than one analyst (and even ex-QBs) that they like the offense.

It's certainly okay if we don't agree; I'm certainly not an offensive coordinator and don't spend a lot of time watching film, therefore I am not a qualified expert on the matter. About the only thing I see myself having some experience with is watching the receiver/DB interaction. I am generally pretty decent at calling out when receivers are getting separation or not (or if a DB can cover).

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
You might not like it, but it's true. The WRs/TEs are constantly in mismatches. The QB just couldn't get the ball in the right spots. Problem with Nagy is when he calls a game, he calls shit with no rhyme or reason. His affinity for trick plays, specifically after the team finds a groove, constantly kills drives and momentum.
This. Let there be any momentum, Nagy will be like “time for an end around”

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Payton took 1 play from Nagy. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut occasionally. And those play breakdowns are specifically choosen to highlight the QB deficiencies the Bears have had. Giving the coach props for occasional getting a WR or TE open is comical, teams like KC, SF, LAR, Buff do it more often than not.

Nagy also designs the plays were 3 WR converge bringing the defenders with them to create a 12 flailing hands tip drill, and the 130lb half back dive and the bubble screen to the near sideline.

The only thing worse than Nagy's playbook, is his stubborn refusal to ditch his worst plays.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Mooney was at 3.2. (which was, as I said, 44th) Kmet, who ranked 14th, was at 3.6. ( with his whopping 28 rec) Jimmy Graham was tied with Kelce, and Diggs. ( 18th amonggst TE's) Kmet ranked above Tyreek Hill. Robinson isn't a separator to begin with. Again, you're convoluting these things to try and prove a point. His scheme creates mismatches and guys are always open. That doesn't mean they're standing there with nobody around them.
"His scheme creates mismatches and guys are always open."

I mean I seriously have no idea how to respond to this. That is Jewish space lasers starting forest fires delusional.

This graph sums it up.
Bears:
10th in yards of separation from 0-5
Last in yards of separation from 5-10
Last in yards ofseparation from 10-15
24th in yards of separation from 15-20
17th in yards of separation from 20-25
28th in yards of separation from 25-30

1631202471858.png
The Bears along with NYG are the only teams to be below average in 5 of the 6 zones and the Bears only area of above average being 0-5 yrds meaning a lot of 3 and 10 soft coverage bubble screens, so really they were the absolute worst team in the NFL in getting separation.

Tell me again about Nagy's great play scheming.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
"His scheme creates mismatches and guys are always open."

I mean I seriously have no idea how to respond to this. That is Jewish space lasers starting forest fires delusional.

This graph sums it up.
Bears:
10th in yards of separation from 0-5
Last in yards of separation from 5-10
Last in yards ofseparation from 10-15
24th in yards of separation from 15-20
17th in yards of separation from 20-25
28th in yards of separation from 25-30

View attachment 13795
The Bears along with NYG are the only teams to be below average in 5 of the 6 zones and the Bears only area of above average being 0-5 yrds meaning a lot of 3 and 10 soft coverage bubble screens, so really they were the absolute worst team in the NFL in getting separation.

Tell me again about Nagy's great play scheming.

You're still completely convoluting yards of separation to creating favorable mismatches and one-on-ones, etc. It also doesn't help when the number 1 WR isn't a separator anyway.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
You're still completely convoluting yards of separation to creating favorable mismatches and one-on-ones, etc. It also doesn't help when the number 1 WR isn't a separator anyway.
Please unconvolte me then, how is it that Nagy's created "mismatches" are as a team the league worst at getting open? And enough with citing AR, his ability to catch contested balls is the mismatch with him, nothing Nagy does with him creates a mismatch.

And while you're at it, I would be less convoluted if the goalposts weren't on roller skates.
I mean you seriously cite the actual number of yards of separation in one post and then say yards of separation is my convoluted misinterpretation of a mismatch in the next. Maybe @remydat has hacked your account.

I think Nagy actually can draw up a good scheme, WRs are constantly open, but he's terrible when it comes to calling a game.

Mooney was at 3.2. Kmet, who ranked 14th, was at 3.6. Jimmy Graham was tied with Kelce, and Diggs. Kmet ranked above Tyreek Hill. Robinson isn't a separator to begin with. Again, you're convoluting these things to try and prove a point. His scheme creates mismatches and guys are always open. That doesn't mean they're standing there with nobody around them.

Last edited:

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
To add my two cents to this, I don’t believe nagy'splays are bad but the way he calls them can be atrocious. He doesn’t adjust to his players, the defense or anything of that matter. He kind of just picks plays he likes and calls it a day

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
To add my two cents to this, I don’t believe nagy'splays are bad but the way he calls them can be atrocious. He doesn’t adjust to his players, the defense or anything of that matter. He kind of just picks plays he likes and calls it a day
I mean it really doesn't matter if it is the under cooked fish or the unwashed salad that gives you food poisoning, you don't continue to go back and order the same food at that restaurant.

Nagy is a shitty HC and whether it is because he can't design plays or can't call plays,that is splitting hairs and a moot point, if he refuses to alter either he needs to go.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

Well when he should pass, he runs. When he should he run, he passes. And his pass plays tend to stress the OL

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Please unconvolte me then, how is it that Nagy's created "mismatches" are as a team the league worst at getting open? And enough with citing AR, his ability to catch contested balls is the mismatch with him, nothing Nagy does with him creates a mismatch.

And while you're at it, I would be less convoluted if the goalposts weren't on roller skates.
I mean you seriously cite the actual number of yards of separation in one post and then say yards of separation is my convoluted misinterpretation of a mismatch in the next. Maybe @remydat has hacked your account.

I cited the yards of separation to show how disingenuous you were being trying to use them in your argument. It isn't like I brought them up. You were trying to use them as some negative yet they were better or as good as two of the best players in the league, and no one would ever claim the Chiefs have a bad scheme.

When defenses know they don't have to cover the deep ball because the QB can't hit the broad side of a barn, it makes it very easy to just cram defenders around the intermediate zone. I get you don't want to give the guy any credit, and I'm not saying he's the best, but your only argument is separation, which has more to do with individual players and coverages they face than a general scheme.