Justin Fields mechanics

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
I didn't take him for a sheep.
Nah he said it was very close between 2,3,4 . His only complaint in the 40 minutes of film breakdown was that on occasion he doesn’t progress through his reads, but still completes a pass. It’s good shit.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
Small hands
Slow release
Questionable speed of reading defense

Those were the nitpick reasons he was there at 11....they could come true, he could fix them or they aren't really an issue

We'll soon find out.
The only one I'd worry about is slow going through reads. I think he improved on that this year and is incredibly smart and hard working and will continue to get better with experience.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Nah he said it was very close between 2,3,4 . His only complaint in the 40 minutes of film breakdown was that on occasion he doesn’t progress through his reads, but still completes a pass. It’s good shit.
I've seen breakdowns of him doing full reads. The only consistent knock seems to be his sense for pocket pressure and taking too many sacks.

Chicoman

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not even sure how Phillip rivers ever completed a pass it’s so ugly... fields will be fine.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've seen breakdowns of him doing full reads. The only consistent knock seems to be his sense for pocket pressure and taking too many sacks.
Yeah he specifically said on occasion, it wasn’t really a knock.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Warner does an excellent job of breaking down the play, telling you what he was coached to do, and then evaluates. The first video is all praise about his ball, pocket awareness, progressions/smarts. The second are “mistakes” and they’re not really mistakes

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
After watching Fields there were plenty of plays where he did a great job of stepping into the pocket to avoid pressure. He just didn’t do it as consistent

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
+Progression speed seems to be the major issue.

thenewguy

Liked Posts:
I've heard the complaint he stares down his first read too long. The explanation I've heard several times is OSU offense has a lot of long developing option routes, so that is what he was supposed to be doing.

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
I believe Simms concern was that when he gets pressured or doesn't have time to set the hitch can cause the ball to come out errantly.
I haven't seen it yet. Maybe it's in someone's breakdowns where they're not just showing highlights.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
I believe Simms concern was that when he gets pressured or doesn't have time to set the hitch can cause the ball to come out errantly.
I haven't seen it yet. Maybe it's in someone's breakdowns where they're not just showing highlights.
O'Sullivan and Warner both have good breakdowns where they also go over bad plays. O'Sullivan has like over two hours of video breaking down different games so he covers it all

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
More on Lawrence

WEAKNESSES​

• Could improve his anticipation.
  • Has a tendency to get lazy in some moments.
  • Usually operates out of read 1 options and could benefit from an extended playbook.
  • Won’t be the speediest of QBs but can get the job done in the run game if needed.
  • Can have tunnel vision when going through defensive reads.

There aren’t too many flaws in Trevor Lawrence’s game but there are some things he will want to clean up this season.

The first being that he can lock on to 1 particular receiver for too long. Instead of going through his reads, he occasionally waits for a receiver to become open inviting unnecessary pressure. This can then cause him to force throws that aren’t there leading to interceptions.

Secondly, on some plays he fails to set his feet correctly in the pocket. This then leads to passes going too high or too low rendering them uncatchable. He also has passes batted down at the line of scrimmage with is unusual for a quarterback of his size.