Justin Fields mechanics

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
More on Lawrence

WEAKNESSES​

• Could improve his anticipation.
  • Has a tendency to get lazy in some moments.
  • Usually operates out of read 1 options and could benefit from an extended playbook.
  • Won’t be the speediest of QBs but can get the job done in the run game if needed.
  • Can have tunnel vision when going through defensive reads.

There aren’t too many flaws in Trevor Lawrence’s game but there are some things he will want to clean up this season.

The first being that he can lock on to 1 particular receiver for too long. Instead of going through his reads, he occasionally waits for a receiver to become open inviting unnecessary pressure. This can then cause him to force throws that aren’t there leading to interceptions.

Secondly, on some plays he fails to set his feet correctly in the pocket. This then leads to passes going too high or too low rendering them uncatchable. He also has passes batted down at the line of scrimmage with is unusual for a quarterback of his size.
I think the locking onto one receiver too long rap that he and fields have is a lazy knock. I'm willing to bet almost 100% of college qbs have that issue. They are still learning the position. You have to give time for read 1 to either come open or not be an option then move to option 2. I think most pros have the issue. Other than Brady most of the elite qbs create time to go through reads with mobility fairly often (Rodgers, Wilson, Watson, mahomes, etc.).

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
MUCH more important he learn to be an NFL QB and basics of playbook, then nuances of it all before ALSO trying to change his muscle memory on top of that. Quick recipe for a fucked up developmental process & mind-blowing stress.
Let him figure it out and keep doing what works.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
More on Lawrence

WEAKNESSES​

• Could improve his anticipation.
  • Has a tendency to get lazy in some moments.
  • Usually operates out of read 1 options and could benefit from an extended playbook.
  • Won’t be the speediest of QBs but can get the job done in the run game if needed.
  • Can have tunnel vision when going through defensive reads.

There aren’t too many flaws in Trevor Lawrence’s game but there are some things he will want to clean up this season.

The first being that he can lock on to 1 particular receiver for too long. Instead of going through his reads, he occasionally waits for a receiver to become open inviting unnecessary pressure. This can then cause him to force throws that aren’t there leading to interceptions.

Secondly, on some plays he fails to set his feet correctly in the pocket. This then leads to passes going too high or too low rendering them uncatchable. He also has passes batted down at the line of scrimmage with is unusual for a quarterback of his size.

I think the locking onto one receiver too long rap that he and fields have is a lazy knock. I'm willing to bet almost 100% of college qbs have that issue. They are still learning the position. You have to give time for read 1 to either come open or not be an option then move to option 2. I think most pros have the issue. Other than Brady most of the elite qbs create time to go through reads with mobility fairly often (Rodgers, Wilson, Watson, mahomes, etc.)

>>>>#20

Ppl were mentioning Lawewnce, so I looked at his scouting report

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
MUCH more important he learn to be an NFL QB and basics of playbook, then nuances of it all before ALSO trying to change his muscle memory on top of that. Quick recipe for a fucked up developmental process & mind-blowing stress.
Let him figure it out and keep doing what works.

Right....there's a such thing as "over coaching"

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
I think the locking onto one receiver too long rap that he and fields have is a lazy knock. I'm willing to bet almost 100% of college qbs have that issue. They are still learning the position. You have to give time for read 1 to either come open or not be an option then move to option 2. I think most pros have the issue. Other than Brady most of the elite qbs create time to go through reads with mobility fairly often (Rodgers, Wilson, Watson, mahomes, etc.)

>>>>#20

Oh yeah, I wasn't taking issue with anything. Just stating my opinion on that knock

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
I mean John Elway drafted Paxton Lynch..... point being just because you're a HOF quarterback doesn't mean you can't fuck it up.
Yeah no real reason to value one's opinion over the others. Simms and O'Sullivan likely didn't suck because they lacked knowledge of the game. Past performance literally has no bearing on talent evaluation

mecha

Liked Posts:
Yeah no real reason to value one's opinion over the others. Simms and O'Sullivan likely didn't suck because they lacked knowledge of the game. Past performance literally has no bearing on talent evaluation
I was only joking. I liked Gruden's analysis back in the day and his brutal honesty. he was a little corny as an announcer however.

FozzyBear

Token CCS Minority
Liked Posts:
Fozzie Land, Muppet City, The Former US of A
Im sure he'll have some exotic mechanics ( ferrari, lambo, etc) , and perhaps a yacht, g6 mechanic one day.

Midwaymonster75

Liked Posts:
I read that the release time of the other top prospects was .4 to .5 seconds, and Fields, because if the hitch is measured at .8.

I'm not sure if .8 is considered a release that is slow enough to be a detriment in the NFL, but I assume that is the concern.
Heard the same thing about Mahomes, Watson, McNabb, Vick etc.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've heard the complaint he stares down his first read too long. The explanation I've heard several times is OSU offense has a lot of long developing option routes, so that is what he was supposed to be doing.
yeah...Ryan Day, just like Nagy loves to call those long developing plays. I guess they both learned that when they were together in Philly. Ohio State had the oline for it though and the Bears did not. I'm glad the Bears addressed the oline because I'm not trying to get Fields killed.

The_Shadow

Simply a Bears fan
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
yeah, I'd value his opinion over JT O'Sullivan and Chris Simms.
I hear you. Do you remember those epic Super Bowl Showdowns between J.T. O'Sullivan and Chris Simms??? Yeah, me neither.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I read that the release time of the other top prospects was .4 to .5 seconds, and Fields, because if the hitch is measured at .8.

I'm not sure if .8 is considered a release that is slow enough to be a detriment in the NFL, but I assume that is the concern.

I find that hard to believe, as .8 is awful. That’s slower than even Tim Tebow. A .35 is considered lighting quick while a .45 is considered slow. That shows how much of a difference just .10 seconds make.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I mean John Elway drafted Paxton Lynch..... point being just because you're a HOF quarterback doesn't mean you can't fuck it up.
Saw a theory online saying Elway doesn't want the Broncos to have a successful QB because it would hurt his legacy and the way Elway drafts has me believing it lol

BearClaw55

GO BEARS
Donator
Liked Posts:
So I've read a few places that he has some "hitch" in his throwing motion. I guess that's what Simms didn't like? My question is why does that matter? Is it supposed to make him more innacurate? Take longer to throw? His completion percentages were excellent in college so the accuracy doesn't really concern me. Just wondering what the issue is? Or is it people being stupid because it's not "textbook".

Simms didn’t throw with a hitch & he still couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn in the NFL.

Just more QB\draft expert analysis BS!

Toast88

Liked Posts:

>>>>#20

Successful NFL QBs also have that issue of 1-read-and-done. (i.e. Russell Wilson, Lamar Jackson, Deshaun Watson, others) People act like going through several reads while properly reading a defense and avoiding sacks is the norm for good NFL QBs, when really, it's very much the exception.