Kane and Toews Extension - 8 Years $88 Million?

CLWolf81

Fan Captain
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="the hanadian dreamzues" data-cid="233752" data-time="1404239214">

too high let em walk. they should get nothing more than 5 per year. throwing that kind of money around for talent barely works..band aids.</p></blockquote>

Wait.... Your AGREEING with my cheap ass? I'd be nice to give them 7M per but damn!!!! 11 is way too much.

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="CLWolf81" data-cid="233791" data-time="1404245546">
<div>

Wait.... Your AGREEING with my cheap ass? I'd be nice to give them 7M per but damn!!!! 11 is way too much.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

i was being tongue in cheek. 7 mill? not even close in this market both are 9 mill at least. this is what the market dictates not what the fans dictate.if i had it my way they and top players would both be around the six mill a year mark but i dont create the market and its not my money so i dont give a fuck. </p>

Variable

Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="the hanadian dreamzues" data-cid="233790" data-time="1404245421">
<div>

at least bolland can now afford the best back surgery every year a guy can get.</p>

</p>

worst signing of the day.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

Orpik signing with Washington with the same terms Bolland got challenges that. Absolutely horrible as well.</p>

Variable

Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="the hanadian dreamzues" data-cid="233793" data-time="1404245855">
<div>

i was being tongue in cheek. 7 mill? not even close in this market both are 9 mill at least. this is what the market dictates not what the fans dictate.if i had it my way they and top players would both be around the six mill a year mark but i dont create the market and its not my money so i dont give a fuck. </p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

10m is the new 7m with how things are going.</p>

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
Bowman screwed himself with these NMCs. Hossa contract is awful like we all know, giving Crawford 6 millions was about 2 million too high, paying Bickell 4 million to show up in the playoffs is a joke. I don't mind Keith's contract, and Sharps isn't bad either.

Can't wait to see him get himself out of this clusterfuck.

Maiden

Liked Posts:
Wow............Trev you are going to be crucified for touching the third rail which is the Hossa contract.</p>

My gut tells me the Crawford contract was forced on Bowman like the Huet contract was forced on Tallon.</p>

Somebody is going to traded sooner rather than later just for cap flexability sake.</p>

Probably a defensemen or 2.</p>

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
Don't get me wrong, I really like Hossa. His ability to protect the puck and take it away is all world. But let's be honest, that contract is going to fuck us one way or another. Nobody will take it due to the ramifications of the deal.

Better hope plays all the way through it at top skill.

Variable

Liked Posts:
The only reason Hossa's contract can even be considered awful is because of the cap recapture penalty if he retires before his contract is up. But that didn't even exist when he was signed. There was no knowing something like that was going to be put in place. Can't really fault anyone for that.</p>

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Variable" data-cid="233802" data-time="1404246474">

The only reason Hossa's contract can even be considered awful is because of the cap recapture penalty if he retires before his contract is up. But that didn't even exist when he was signed. There was no knowing something like that was going to be put in place. Can't really fault anyone for that.</p></blockquote>

Sure could of used that amnesty buyout on him after the changes.

Variable

Liked Posts:
That's a tough call too, he's still playing at an extremely high level. He's still one of, if not the best two forward in the game, he should've been nominated for the Selke over Toews.</p>

</p>

And as far as I understand how it works, the cap recapture penalty only applies to the team who signed the player. Meaning you could trade him and if he retires early with that team or any other team afterwards, they don't get stuck with the penalty, it's only on the team who signed him to that contract.</p>

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I ask this honestly without looking at the numbers. But can any team afford to pay a player 11 mil a year for 8 years?</p>

Variable

Liked Posts:
Any team? Yeah Florida can. That's only 2 Bollands.</p>

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Any competitive team that isn't spending to get to the floor</p>

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Variable" data-cid="233833" data-time="1404248046">
<div>

Any team? Yeah Florida can. That's only 2 Bollands.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

hahahaha Variable this post actually wins the internet for the day!!</p>

cplmac

Liked Posts:
Lots of teams can, the only teams that will struggle with that are teams like ours that are stacked with top tier talent from top to bottom.  We have half a dozen legit over 5 mil a year players, maybe more.  Most teams will only have 3 or 4 players at that level.  We just can't afford $11mil/year times fucking 2, I'm not sure we can afford $10mil/year times fucking 2 which is what this deal is going to wind up being.  If we are lucky Stan can swing this deal for around $9mil/year but if they opened negotiations at $12 mil they are not looking to settle all the way down to $9mil.  Anyone here know the rules on incentive contracts?  Is there any way to keep the money they deserve from killing our cap?</p>

jakobeast

Liked Posts:
Hossas cap hit is what, 5.5? That is a steal, even for the next few years when he starts to sputter. Maybe the last couple of years when the actual payment is like a million, some team needing floor money will pick him up.</p>

jakobeast

Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Variable" data-cid="233794" data-time="1404245945">
<div>

Orpik signing with Washington with the same terms Bolland got challenges that. Absolutely horrible as well.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

While that is bad, what about the Flames signing Engelland for a RCH under 3 for 3 years?</p>

Variable

Liked Posts:
Well Calgary is handicapped with Brian Burke, you almost have to expect deals like that for players like him. They might have a line next season of Bollig, Westgarth and McGrattan. Worst line in the league if that happens.</p>

Pez68

Fire Quenneville
Liked Posts:
11 million per year is clownshoes.</p>

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
Rebuilds often mean a period of shit 4th line goonery. Calgary is in that position. They have a long way to go so I suspect a good 3 years of 4th line fun if not 4th and 3rd line fun. Won't be a pleasant team to play against other than gaining free points. Team doctors should strike before they play Calgary next year and demand pay raises. fuckers gunna be busy. Hossas first season injury will probably come at the hands of the Flames. Shocked they havent signed Ott</p>