Kaplan: Bears stole Nagy from the Colts

iffybiz

Liked Posts:

Let’s get this out of the way first: The Indianapolis Colts did NOT offer Matt Nagy the team’s head coaching job, according to a source with knowledge of the process.

Was there interest? Clearly, there was interest. There was a lot of interest. General manager Chris Ballard and the Colts interviewed the former Chiefs offensive coordinator, who was introduced Tuesday as the Chicago Bears head coach. Reading Nagy’s quotes from his introductory press conference, it’s obvious he chose the Bears over the Colts – whether there was a hard-and-fast offer made or not. Nagy made it clear, the Indy job was his if he wanted it.

“(Colts general manager) Chris (Ballard) and I have a good relationship away from football, being with the Chiefs together," Nagy said Tuesday. “I respect the heck out of Chris. I think he’s going to do a great job there in Indianapolis. He respects me and understands my decision."

And there was more:

“It was just a feel," he said. “And I just know, for where we’re at here (in Chicago), it felt good. It’s no slight to Indianapolis; they have a great team, great things will happen. It’s just the way it went."

Whatever the case – offer or no offer -- the optics aren’t great for the Colts. Fair or not, it looks a whole lot like Nagy chose the Bears over the Colts, a decision, on its face, that would seem to make little sense – unless Nagy became convinced there was ample reason for concern over the future of Andrew Luck.

Compare and contrast:

Both teams stink. The Colts went 4-12, the Bears went 5-11. Advantage: Nobody.
The Colts will have the third selection in the NFL Draft, and if they don’t trade down, it’s highly likely they will walk away with either North Carolina State pass rusher Bradley Chubb or Penn State running back Saquon Barkley. The Bears who, like the Colts, have needs everywhere – thus, 5-11 – are selecting eighth. Advantage: Colts.
The Colts will have roughly $80 million under the cap to use in free agency; the Bears will have around $42 million this off-season. Advantage: Colts.
The Colts have Luck – or they hope and pray they have Luck -- who was scheduled to start a throwing regimen in early- to mid-January. The Bears have Mitchell Trubisky, who had a typical year for a rookie quarterback, completing 59.4 percent of his passes, including seven touchdowns and seven interceptions. The hope in Chicago is that Trubisky has the same kind of sophomore growth spurt as the Rams’ Jared Goff, but compared to a healthy Luck, well, I’m not sure there’s much of a comparison. Advantage: Colts.
(Here, though, is the caveat. It’s advantage Colts only if Luck returns to form. Which is not a fait accompli, no matter how passionately Jim Irsay insists that he’s going to be healthy next season and will come back with the fiery, hot intensity of a thousand suns – or whatever it was he said recently. The question is whether the issues surrounding Luck’s health will chase away other coaching candidates who have multiple job options. We’ll see).

The Colts have an owner, Irsay, who spends whatever it takes to win championships. He’s quirky, to be sure, and he’s got his issues, but he’s more football-savvy than most NFL owners. The money isn’t always well-spent, but the willingness to spend is not debatable. George McCaskey, the Bears’ owner, is famously thrifty, although the Bears occasionally spend foolishly, as with quarterback Mike Glennon. Advantage: Colts.
By taking the Bears job, Nagy will live in the Chicagoland area, probably the lovely northern suburb of Lake Forest. If he had taken the Colts’ job, he’d have bought a place in Zionsville, I’m guessing. Love our town, love my town, but… Advantage: Chicago.
This is not a criticism of Nagy in any way, shape or form. He felt comfortable with the Bears’ people, the Bears’ presentation and the Bears’ offer and made the call. Good for him. When you accept a job, it has to feel right as well as look right, and Nagy felt like Chicago was the place to start his head coaching career.

The real issue now involves the Colts, and whether this latest turn of events suggests that candidates are genuinely concerned about Luck’s future. With so much to offer, including a long-term relationship with Ballard, why would Nagy opt for the Bears? That’s concerning, whether there was an actual job offer or not.

So the process continues. Steve Wilks, the Carolina defensive coordinator, is said to be next on the Colts’ dance card.

What about Dave Toub, the KC special-teams coach who was thought to be the top candidate for the Indy job? I haven’t read or heard anywhere that the Colts have asked for permission to interview him or have scheduled an interview. Maybe that will happen down the road, or maybe we just wrongly assumed he was the leader in the clubhouse given his relationship with Ballard. At this point, we’re engaging in a whole lot of guesswork.

Stay tuned.

Irsay is an advantage?
Luck’s unknown shoulder an advantage over Trubisky?
I’d say the Bears D as it stands at the moment isn’t a weakness. Bears don’t “have needs all over” they have needs in a few specific areas and depth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LiverpoolBearsFAn

Liked Posts:
There are some fair points in there but he doesn't seem to mention that the Bears have a much, much better defence already and more young talent on the roster. The Bears competed most weeks even against a strong schedule. I'd imagine this would have been a factor in Nagy's decision.

I don't think the Colts did offer Nagy their job, but I think they would have.

Pace clicked with him and got the deal done before the Colts could progress.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
"Let’s get this out of the way first: The Indianapolis Colts did NOT offer Matt Nagy the team’s head coaching job, according to a source with knowledge of the process."

"Nagy made it clear, the Indy job was his if he wanted it."

a bit of a contradiction and basically it is a defacto offer......

CaimanTierraFL

Liked Posts:

Let’s get this out of the way first: The Indianapolis Colts did NOT offer Matt Nagy the team’s head coaching job, according to a source with knowledge of the process.

Was there interest? Clearly, there was interest. There was a lot of interest. General manager Chris Ballard and the Colts interviewed the former Chiefs offensive coordinator, who was introduced Tuesday as the Chicago Bears head coach. Reading Nagy’s quotes from his introductory press conference, it’s obvious he chose the Bears over the Colts – whether there was a hard-and-fast offer made or not. Nagy made it clear, the Indy job was his if he wanted it.

“(Colts general manager) Chris (Ballard) and I have a good relationship away from football, being with the Chiefs together," Nagy said Tuesday. “I respect the heck out of Chris. I think he’s going to do a great job there in Indianapolis. He respects me and understands my decision."

And there was more:

“It was just a feel," he said. “And I just know, for where we’re at here (in Chicago), it felt good. It’s no slight to Indianapolis; they have a great team, great things will happen. It’s just the way it went."

Whatever the case – offer or no offer -- the optics aren’t great for the Colts. Fair or not, it looks a whole lot like Nagy chose the Bears over the Colts, a decision, on its face, that would seem to make little sense – unless Nagy became convinced there was ample reason for concern over the future of Andrew Luck.

Compare and contrast:

Both teams stink. The Colts went 4-12, the Bears went 5-11. Advantage: Nobody.
The Colts will have the third selection in the NFL Draft, and if they don’t trade down, it’s highly likely they will walk away with either North Carolina State pass rusher Bradley Chubb or Penn State running back Saquon Barkley. The Bears who, like the Colts, have needs everywhere – thus, 5-11 – are selecting eighth. Advantage: Colts.
The Colts will have roughly $80 million under the cap to use in free agency; the Bears will have around $42 million this off-season. Advantage: Colts.
The Colts have Luck – or they hope and pray they have Luck -- who was scheduled to start a throwing regimen in early- to mid-January. The Bears have Mitchell Trubisky, who had a typical year for a rookie quarterback, completing 59.4 percent of his passes, including seven touchdowns and seven interceptions. The hope in Chicago is that Trubisky has the same kind of sophomore growth spurt as the Rams’ Jared Goff, but compared to a healthy Luck, well, I’m not sure there’s much of a comparison. Advantage: Colts.
(Here, though, is the caveat. It’s advantage Colts only if Luck returns to form. Which is not a fait accompli, no matter how passionately Jim Irsay insists that he’s going to be healthy next season and will come back with the fiery, hot intensity of a thousand suns – or whatever it was he said recently. The question is whether the issues surrounding Luck’s health will chase away other coaching candidates who have multiple job options. We’ll see).

The Colts have an owner, Irsay, who spends whatever it takes to win championships. He’s quirky, to be sure, and he’s got his issues, but he’s more football-savvy than most NFL owners. The money isn’t always well-spent, but the willingness to spend is not debatable. George McCaskey, the Bears’ owner, is famously thrifty, although the Bears occasionally spend foolishly, as with quarterback Mike Glennon. Advantage: Colts.
By taking the Bears job, Nagy will live in the Chicagoland area, probably the lovely northern suburb of Lake Forest. If he had taken the Colts’ job, he’d have bought a place in Zionsville, I’m guessing. Love our town, love my town, but… Advantage: Chicago.
This is not a criticism of Nagy in any way, shape or form. He felt comfortable with the Bears’ people, the Bears’ presentation and the Bears’ offer and made the call. Good for him. When you accept a job, it has to feel right as well as look right, and Nagy felt like Chicago was the place to start his head coaching career.

The real issue now involves the Colts, and whether this latest turn of events suggests that candidates are genuinely concerned about Luck’s future. With so much to offer, including a long-term relationship with Ballard, why would Nagy opt for the Bears? That’s concerning, whether there was an actual job offer or not.

So the process continues. Steve Wilks, the Carolina defensive coordinator, is said to be next on the Colts’ dance card.

What about Dave Toub, the KC special-teams coach who was thought to be the top candidate for the Indy job? I haven’t read or heard anywhere that the Colts have asked for permission to interview him or have scheduled an interview. Maybe that will happen down the road, or maybe we just wrongly assumed he was the leader in the clubhouse given his relationship with Ballard. At this point, we’re engaging in a whole lot of guesswork.

Stay tuned.

THis is now 2 GMs that Fleeced Pace

1. Lynch, SF
2. Ballard, Indy

Ballard never wanted Nagy or else this deal woulda been done months ago not after the season. Ballard who is 10x smarter than Pace, made it look like there was interest so Pace would AGAIN jump the gun like he always does

Now Ballard is laughing all the way to his next head coach that he really wanted

Ballard >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Pace by a factor of 10x

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
THis is now 2 GMs that Fleeced Pace

1. Lynch, SF
2. Ballard, Indy

Ballard never wanted Nagy or else this deal woulda been done months ago not after the season. Ballard who is 10x smarter than Pace, made it look like there was interest so Pace would AGAIN jump the gun like he always does

Now Ballard is laughing all the way to his next head coach that he really wanted

Ballard >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Pace by a factor of 10x

you're words are twisted and feeble as an old woman's

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Irsay is an advantage?
Luck’s unknown shoulder an advantage over Trubisky?
I’d say the Bears D as it stands at the moment isn’t a weakness. Bears don’t “have needs all over” they have needs in a few specific areas and depth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Colts fans, the Colts organization and the Colts' press are convinced that once Luck comes back he will be at full strength, there will be no rust and the Colts will contend for the division if not the conference. Never mind their starting running back is Frank Gore who is 34 years old. Their defense was ~30th in the league. Irsay wants to win and will spend money but it can be misguided. He seems to be running through GMs, too. What do you expect a Colts beat writer to write? They aren't a lot different than the dolts in Chicago.

Pace got who he wanted. I'm not sure its relevant who the Colts wanted or who they get. The Bears defense is in much better condition. Their RB situation is much better until or unless the Colts draft Barkley and then he has to prove it behind a questionable line. If Luck returns to pre-injury form he is a better QB at least for the moment. If he doesn't return to form the Colts will limp along next year and then need a QB and deal with Luck's huge contract.

No one knows what will happen in FA or the draft but between the two teams I think it is a toss up if not advantage Bears.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Different definition than the one from the Oxford Dictionary.

And I quoted the Oxford dictionary. You quoted World of Warcraft.

I'd say that makes you the idiot.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Only children and ignoramuses believe in goblins, fairies, elfs, ORCS, and whatever else isn't even real and is just fiction made up for fairytales and videogames.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
you're words are twisted and feeble as an old woman's

He's got brain freeze from the cold snap.
alligator-ht-2-er-180109_4x3_992.jpg

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
Read the best burn on Twitter. Wish I had the link to the person who said it.

Said:

"So Ryan Pace got the job Chris Ballard wanted, and then got the coach Chris Ballard wanted. No confirmation yet if Ryan Pace's wife was once courted by Chris Ballard..."

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Bears_804

Liked Posts:
Nagy's wording in his presser was very telling. It was like he was apologizing to Ballard. I think The Colts really wanted Nagy. There may not have been a contract offer but I think the job was his if he wanted it.
It sounds like Ballard expected it to be a done deal based on the relationship they had outside and inside of football. Bears FO seemed to have won him over. Impressed for once.