Kellen Mond

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
What do some of you more football intelligent members of CCS think of him? I've seen some of him and I like his game quite a lot. He throw wells underneath, he can run the PA/RPO well, he's got great experience as he was a 4 year starter, he's a good athlete, he throws well over the middle, and he's got a good arm. He struggles to throw deep and outside accurately, but he can hit those throws he's just got to be more consistent with them. He's gotten better each year as well.

I like him in the 2nd round, but I love him in the 3rd. The dream for me would be Darrisaw in the 1st, Terrace Marshall in the 2nd, and Kellen Mond in the 3rd.

You roll with Dalton this season, get shit stomped (probably) while young guys like Kmet/Mooney/Montgomery/Darrisaw/Mond develop. Then you roll into 2022 with a high pick and you could nab a top QB and then go defense, or you can just go straight defense if you're confident in Mond.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I would not be surprised at all by Pace trading back into the top of round 2 and taking Mond. Hell I wouldn't be surprised in Pace drafting him at 20. Pace HAS TO draft a QB this year. And I don't think any team is trading back to #20 from the top 10 so I think Pace is stuck drafting a Mond or a Trask or a Mills type of QB.

I also wouldn't be surprised with Pace ignoring my edict that he HAS TO draft a QB. (he does every year.... bastard)

I could see him rolling into the season with AD and trading for say Minshew. (maybe one of our 6ths and a conditional pick next year)

I'd be schocked if Pace manages to trade up from 20 high enough to get a top 5 QB.

The only thing I can GUARANTEE you will happen is 99% of CCS will freak out over it. (whatever happens)

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
I would not be surprised at all by Pace trading back into the top of round 2 and taking Mond. Hell I wouldn't be surprised in Pace drafting him at 20. Pace HAS TO draft a QB this year. And I don't think any team is trading back to #20 from the top 10 so I think Pace is stuck drafting a Mond or a Trask or a Mills type of QB.

I also wouldn't be surprised with Pace ignoring my edict that he HAS TO draft a QB. (he does every year.... bastard)

I could see him rolling into the season with AD and trading for say Minshew. (maybe one of our 6ths and a conditional pick next year)

I'd be schocked if Pace manages to trade up from 20 high enough to get a top 5 QB.

The only thing I can GUARANTEE you will happen is 99% of CCS will freak out over it. (whatever happens)
I think Mond will be there at our pick round 2, and maybe even round 3. I think at 20 the pick has to be OT, you also have to nab a QB/WR/CB.

I'd really love what I layed out though, Darrisaw/Marshall/Mond, then maybe you can move into the 4th and get a DB.

I don't like the idea of trading up unless it's for Wilson/Fields. If one of them falls to the end of the top 10 or even outside of it (it's possible, Watson fell outside the top 10), then you look at making a move.

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
Don't mind in the 3rd round or later. He's basically a game manager
I would say his floor is Mitch Trubisky (they really have a similar game, similar strengths/weaknesses), while his ceiling is difficult to call. I do think he can be a franchise QB if his development pans out. If not he strikes me as a high end back up type.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
What do some of you more football intelligent members of CCS think of him? I've seen some of him and I like his game quite a lot. He throw wells underneath, he can run the PA/RPO well, he's got great experience as he was a 4 year starter, he's a good athlete, he throws well over the middle, and he's got a good arm. He struggles to throw deep and outside accurately, but he can hit those throws he's just got to be more consistent with them. He's gotten better each year as well.

I like him in the 2nd round, but I love him in the 3rd. The dream for me would be Darrisaw in the 1st, Terrace Marshall in the 2nd, and Kellen Mond in the 3rd.

You roll with Dalton this season, get shit stomped (probably) while young guys like Kmet/Mooney/Montgomery/Darrisaw/Mond develop. Then you roll into 2022 with a high pick and you could nab a top QB and then go defense, or you can just go straight defense if you're confident in Mond.

Unfortunately .....others know about Mond. He might get picked up in the 2nd round.

Canth

Liked Posts:
Based on everything else going on with the team, my guess and hope is that they target a qb with their 3rd round pick. I would be happy with Mond, Mills, or Newman with the 3rd round pick and probably in that order. As previously mentioned, the nice thing about Mond is that he has actually played a lot in college and as a result, has been through more development than either Mills or Newman.

It is sacrilegious to Pace to trade back, but one other really smart option would be for Pace to -gasp- trade back and take someone like Mond with a late 2nd round/early 3rd round pick too while filling out more needed depth along the offensive line/secondary/etc.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Teams should know what they have in Mond. He has TONS of starting experience. He played at the Senior Bowl. They've scouted the hell out of him. If he makes it to round 3 then they just don't think highly of him. This isn't Mills who only has 11 starts. This is a guy who has hours of tape. Think it's bottom of round 1 or top of round 2 OR a big time draft fall because we've over rated the kid.

Luke

Liked Posts:
NFL.com

Overview
Quarterback with dual-threat physical tools who has grown and matured into a role as a confident game manager. The Aggies' offense asked too much of Mond in the past, which led to diminishing returns. However, the 2020 offense featured a strong rushing attack paired with play-action, where he not only found greater confidence and rhythm as a passer, but also noticeable pocket poise and accuracy. He doesn't often get antsy working from the pocket and throws with solid ball placement underneath. Issues with touch and anticipation create erratic completion numbers when asked to throw down the field and outside the numbers, which will concern evaluators. His zone-read talent and quick release to incorporate RPOs adds to his draft value, but he might lack the consistency to ever become more than a solid backup.
Strengths
  • Four-year starter with growing confidence.
  • Improved game management and ball placement in 2020.
  • Touchdown-to-interception ratio jumped from 2:1 to 6:1 in 2020.
  • Has become willing pocket passer who trusts his protection.
  • Quiet lower body when working through progressions.
  • Delivers most throws from balanced platform.
  • Alters arm slot to deliver ball around bodies and arms.
  • Quick, wrist-flick release generates tight spiral with quality zip.
  • Relatively accurate throwing on the move.
  • Dangerous zone-read option.
  • Able to break the pocket and move the sticks with chunk play scrambles.
Weaknesses
  • Deep throws are often flat and overthrown.
  • Highly inconsistent in working with anticipation.
  • Doesn't consistently make defenses pay for coverage mistakes.
  • Shies away from big-play opportunities to take shorter throws.
  • Will miss late safety movement indicating incoming blitz.
  • Defaults to aiming rather than throwing at times.
  • Just average attacking high-low route concepts.
  • Inaccuracy and indecisiveness reared ugly heads against LSU.
  • Completed just 35 percent of intermediate throws outside the numbers (and 26 percent of deep throws outside numbers) in 2020.

Draftnetwork

From a statistical standpoint, Kellen Mond is one of the most prolific players to not only play in College Station, but also the SEC. He's a slim, but adequately built quarterback prospect who possesses lots of velocity with throws when able to step into them. With a high-elbow but snappy type of release, he has the torque and enthusiasm behind passes that enables him to be very efficient in the short to intermediate areas. Mond always displays high levels of poise as he often shows that he’s never in a hurry. From his mechanics to how he deals with pressure surrounding him, he remains under control and focused on the task at hand. He's one of the most battled-tested throwers in the country as he takes an excruciating amount of hits throughout games but continues to battle and make throws. The often occurrence of shots to his body has helped him better deal with pressure from all directions inside the pocket. He's mainly a half-field read thrower that can get the ball out quickly and efficiently when on schedule. While barely scratching the level of an above-average athlete, he has enough athleticism to get himself out of trouble and gain hidden yardage when breaking outside of the pocket as well. He's strictly a shotgun/pistol quarterback who’s had all of his experience there.

Playing faster is sometimes needed, but he remains at the same pace. Decaying pockets can be challenging for him to escape and he waits too long to make that decision instead of correctly timing when, where, and how to exit the pocket in order to explore and create off-script opportunities. He shows great stages of poise, but will have plays where he makes questionable throws down the field in hopes of being bailed out by aggressive perimeter options.

Ideal Role: Developmental QB that could lead to being a high-end backup option.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I would say his floor is Mitch Trubisky (they really have a similar game, similar strengths/weaknesses), while his ceiling is difficult to call. I do think he can be a franchise QB if his development pans out. If not he strikes me as a high end back up type.

There are worse pics to make in the second round if that's accurate

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
Teams should know what they have in Mond. He has TONS of starting experience. He played at the Senior Bowl. They've scouted the hell out of him. If he makes it to round 3 then they just don't think highly of him. This isn't Mills who only has 11 starts. This is a guy who has hours of tape. Think it's bottom of round 1 or top of round 2 OR a big time draft fall because we've over rated the kid.
He looked like absolute garbage in the senior bowl he looks dumb out there slow as fuck to diagnose and read or make a decision, that's why I like Mac Jones and Davis mills.