When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah no surprise..it's been all over the web now. And I don't care at all, I love Wood and hope he finishes his career with the Cubs, then sticks with the Cubs as a coach or in the FO.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
good..i think he'll be a great guy leadership wise in the bullpen..especially when we have marmol and marshall who are still a little young and out of control

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
If he is willing to sign for under 2 million a year on a year to year basis, why wouldn't you keep Wood around? This isn't Andre Dawson's blank check, but it is pretty close given the crazy market for relievers, especially with those that have closed before.

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It would be a real dick move to trade wood.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
It would be a real dick move to trade wood.

He's got a full NTC...and if he wants to stay in chicago it's a pretty simple recipe...keep signing for 1.5-2M and requiring a full NTC in every contract. He said earlier he wouldn't move unless the trade greatly helped the Cubs.

He's a solid guy.

<3 kw. You know, the kw ppl like in chicago.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Look at the deals reliever got last offseason. Benoit got 3 years 16.5 million. Crain got 3 years 13 million, and Guerier got 3 years at 12 million. Kerry Wood I am sure could have at least gotten a 3 year 9 million deal if he just wanted to go to the highest bidder. Wood easily is getting paid half of what he could have earned this season and doesn't have the security of 2 more years if he blows his arm out. The guy has made it clear that he wants to be a Cub, and I am fine with that.

Now if we could convince him to go play for a contender for a couple months so we get a few prospects, and then come back for the same 1 year deal next season. I would be perfectly happy with that scenario.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Look at the deals reliever got last offseason. Benoit got 3 years 16.5 million. Crain got 3 years 13 million, and Guerier got 3 years at 12 million. Kerry Wood I am sure could have at least gotten a 3 year 9 million deal if he just wanted to go to the highest bidder. Wood easily is getting paid half of what he could have earned this season and doesn't have the security of 2 more years if he blows his arm out. The guy has made it clear that he wants to be a Cub, and I am fine with that.

Now if we could convince him to go play for a contender for a couple months so we get a few prospects, and then come back for the same 1 year deal next season. I would be perfectly happy with that scenario.

yeah, but at this point I think we show him the respect he deserves and not even approach him about it. Now, if he approached FO and said, "Hey, really, can you send me to Boston? I'll come back on another cheap deal next season, but I'd really like to win a ring..." I could completely understand that.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
yeah, but at this point I think we show him the respect he deserves and not even approach him about it. Now, if he approached FO and said, "Hey, really, can you send me to Boston? I'll come back on another cheap deal next season, but I'd really like to win a ring..." I could completely understand that.

Oh I agree that I wouldn't be hounding the guy about the idea. I was mostly kidding about the scenario, but it is fun to think about renting Wood out at the end of the season for a couple of years to net some decent prospects to build the farm up more. That said I am more than happy to see Wood retire a Cub, and it is nice to see a player that puts loyalty to a team above finances.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Oh I agree that I wouldn't be hounding the guy about the idea. I was mostly kidding about the scenario, but it is fun to think about renting Wood out at the end of the season for a couple of years to net some decent prospects to build the farm up more. That said I am more than happy to see Wood retire a Cub, and it is nice to see a player that puts loyalty to a team above finances.

lmao - like leasing a car. Hendry could stand at a GM's meeting saying "let's see what sucker will overpay for my rental this time..."

EnjoyYourTiger

That weird bear thing.
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm not sure Wood would appreciate being a trading leaver and being used like that. I know that I wouldn't. Just keep him around until he decides that he wants to be the pitching coach.

Rick

Liked Posts:
I never thought the Cubs would even entertain the idea of trading Wood....wasn't there a clause in his contract that guarantees him a job with the club after he retires?

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I'm not sure Wood would appreciate being a trading leaver and being used like that. I know that I wouldn't. Just keep him around until he decides that he wants to be the pitching coach.

Yeah I'm thinking something like this is the plan. We were just entertaining the thought of KW being open to that.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I never thought the Cubs would even entertain the idea of trading Wood....wasn't there a clause in his contract that guarantees him a job with the club after he retires?

seems like there's something to that, yeah....remember hearing something about it.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I want and hope that the Cubs are planning to keep Kerry Wood around for a long time, but I would have to think that Kerry Wood is the last person we would want to be a pitching coach. I mean the guy was notorious for throwing across his body and having terrible mechanics for most of his career.

And as X said, the talk about "renting" him to contenders was a joke. Kerry would have to be okay with any move, and I fully understand that a guy that probably gave up 7.5 million at least to be with this team has the right to stay here for as long as he wants.

Reactions: X

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
No surprise here that he staying. When he took that HUGE paycut to come back to Cubs we all knew he wouldnt be traded. He will and should be a Cub for life

Last edited:
Reactions: X

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Let's obviously throw out this year, but thinking towards next year and years after, how do the Cubs benefit by keeping Kerry Wood around?

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Let's obviously throw out this year, but thinking towards next year and years after, how do the Cubs benefit by keeping Kerry Wood around?

He still a valuable RP, if he wasnt so many teams wouldnt want him. He also seems to be taking huge paycutts to stay with Cubs. He also a veteran presence in the pen for younger RP.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
He still a valuable RP, if he wasnt so many teams wouldnt want him. He also seems to be taking huge paycutts to stay with Cubs. He also a veteran presence in the pen for younger RP.
But if so many teams want him, wouldn't getting young prospects be better for the future?