Kerry Wood not leaving

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
But if so many teams want him, wouldn't getting young prospects be better for the future?

The best thing that could happen for Cubs would be Wood accepts trade to get some prospects and then he signs again in offseason. But Wood took HUGE paycutt to be in chicago. He just started his foundation and they have 2 outings in september after day games. Wood making 1.5 mil does not hurt the team at all.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Let's obviously throw out this year, but thinking towards next year and years after, how do the Cubs benefit by keeping Kerry Wood around?

he's a valuable veteran at a good price..a good leader for the other guys in the pen...

its not like he's hurting the team or anything at this point

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
he's a valuable veteran at a good price..a good leader for the other guys in the pen...

its not like he's hurting the team or anything at this point
It's a point well taken, I guess what I mean is this. If you were able a third base prospect for Wood, and then able to move Ramirez at the end of the season - isn't that better in the long term than being loyal to a guy who might not be hurting the team, but doesn't seem to be helping either?

EDIT: I understand the 'what-ifs' involved.

Rick

Liked Posts:
But if so many teams want him, wouldn't getting young prospects be better for the future?

I don't see the Cubs getting top prospects for Kerry Wood if they traded him. He doesn't have a lot of time left before he retires and he's only signed for the rest of this year...you're not gonna get a whole lot when you have those two things going against you.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I don't see the Cubs getting top prospects for Kerry Wood if they traded him. He doesn't have a lot of time left before he retires and he's only signed for the rest of this year...you're not gonna get a whole lot when you have those two things going against you.

a pitcher w/ playoff exp that you'd be about $600,000 for the rest of the season? yeah, he'd be coveted.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I don't mean to say a prospect in the top 25. I heard Bernstein go over a list of the top 50 minor league players at this point in the season. Neither the Cubs or the Sox had a player in that top 50. There was a thread this week about what you would do as the Cubs owner. I think rebuilding the farm system should be one of, if not the, top priorities. That has to mean doing things that are going to be unpopular. If that means getting rid of Kerry Wood, then so be it.

Rick

Liked Posts:
a pitcher w/ playoff exp that you'd be about $600,000 for the rest of the season? yeah, he'd be coveted.

You think a team would part ways with a top prospect for Kerry Wood? I understand the "win now" attitude for a team that's in contention but ultimately you're not gonna want to part ways with a younger player who can help you in the next couple years for a longer period of time.

Rick

Liked Posts:
I don't mean to say a prospect in the top 25. I heard Bernstein go over a list of the top 50 minor league players at this point in the season. Neither the Cubs or the Sox had a player in that top 50. There was a thread this week about what you would do as the Cubs owner. I think rebuilding the farm system should be one of, if not the, top priorities. That has to mean doing things that are going to be unpopular. If that means getting rid of Kerry Wood, then so be it.

It doesn't bother me if the Cubs get rid of Wood and I agree that the Cubs need to rebuild their farm system. I just don't think the Cubs would as much as they would like for Wood. But maybe they'd catch lightning in a bottle, who knows?

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
It doesn't bother me if the Cubs get rid of Wood and I agree that the Cubs need to rebuild their farm system. I just don't think the Cubs would as much as they would like for Wood. But maybe they'd catch lightning in a bottle, who knows?

It's the inexpensive contract that would be able to get something better than normal in a potential Wood trade. I don't think he leaves though, but stranger things have happened.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Fair enough. Just thought I'd ask the question and subsequent follow-ups.

Rick

Liked Posts:
It's the inexpensive contract that would be able to get something better than normal in a potential Wood trade. I don't think he leaves though, but stranger things have happened.

I guess it all depends on how badly a team in contention needs a bullpen arm and if they feel they're talented enough right now to win the World Series this year. If that's the case, then give the Cubs what they want for Wood. Otherwise, I wouldn't be giving up any top prospects for him if I was a GM for a contending team however I wouldn't give the Cubs garbage either. Maybe mid-level prospects.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
You think a team would part ways with a top prospect for Kerry Wood? I understand the "win now" attitude for a team that's in contention but ultimately you're not gonna want to part ways with a younger player who can help you in the next couple years for a longer period of time.

not nec a top prospect...but a team's top 20? sure. and who knows...if the Yanks/Sox get involved, it could get interesting.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
not nec a top prospect...but a team's top 20? sure. and who knows...if the Yanks/Sox get involved, it could get interesting.
White or Red?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just remembered the record of the White Sox.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Again I am not sure you guys realize how below market the deal Kerry Wood took. I mean 3 middle relievers got 3 years deals in excess of 10 million (Benoit 16.5 million, Crain 13 million, and Guerrier 12 million). Kerry Wood could have easily got a 3 year 9 million dollar deal probably could have gotten something in 12 million range if he was just going to the highest bidder. Wood choose to come here and took a bargain basement price to do it. The exchange for that is that Wood has a NTC and a right to deny a trade to any team. I hope the Cubs ask really nicely if Wood would consider being rented to another team for a couple months here to help the organization, but I won't begrude Wood one bit if he said no. And I would be more than happy to have him back next year.

And Wood is 34 years old. He isn't young by any means but plenty of relievers pitch well into their late 30s. I would say he has at least a couple more years in the tank. I mean going by his fangraphs velocity on the fastball is still holding steady in the 94 range for the past 4 years straight (down slightly this year at 94.3 compared to 94.4 last year).

Again it would be nice to be able to rent Woody out to get prospects. No one is going to deny that would make this organization better. That said it is up to Kerry Wood entirely if he wants to do so.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Again I am not sure you guys realize how below market the deal Kerry Wood took. I mean 3 middle relievers got 3 years deals in excess of 10 million (Benoit 16.5 million, Crain 13 million, and Guerrier 12 million). Kerry Wood could have easily got a 3 year 9 million dollar deal probably could have gotten something in 12 million range if he was just going to the highest bidder. Wood choose to come here and took a bargain basement price to do it. The exchange for that is that Wood has a NTC and a right to deny a trade to any team. I hope the Cubs ask really nicely if Wood would consider being rented to another team for a couple months here to help the organization, but I won't begrude Wood one bit if he said no. And I would be more than happy to have him back next year.

And Wood is 34 years old. He isn't young by any means but plenty of relievers pitch well into their late 30s. I would say he has at least a couple more years in the tank. I mean going by his fangraphs velocity on the fastball is still holding steady in the 94 range for the past 4 years straight (down slightly this year at 94.3 compared to 94.4 last year).

Again it would be nice to be able to rent Woody out to get prospects. No one is going to deny that would make this organization better. That said it is up to Kerry Wood entirely if he wants to do so.
I guess what my point would be then is him being a nice guy and doing all those things shouldn't matter when trying to win baseball games. I mean, he seems to be doing things for the right reasons, but you're 41-60. If trading him to a contending team means you bring in good (not great, but good) prospects - I don't see why you would hesitate to do that.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I guess what my point would be then is him being a nice guy and doing all those things shouldn't matter when trying to win baseball games. I mean, he seems to be doing things for the right reasons, but you're 41-60. If trading him to a contending team means you bring in good (not great, but good) prospects - I don't see why you would hesitate to do that.

I agree that the Cubs shouldn't hesistate to do it, but the ball is in Kerry's court on this. He controls where he goes because of his NTC. I am fine with Woody getting that NTC given the huge discount, but I don't think the Cubs should pressure him into accepting a deal. Like I said in the post above, I am hoping that Jim Hendry has at least approached Wood about the fact that the team isn't going anywhere this year, and if there would be any teams he would be interested in going to. If the answer is no, then I have no problems with it personally given the fact that the guy more than likely turned down several million dollars to play for this team.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

but, you can't do that. He has the right to say "negative." And my guess is he will continue signing super-cheap deals as long as they have a NTC in them.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I agree that the Cubs shouldn't hesistate to do it, but the ball is in Kerry's court on this. He controls where he goes because of his NTC. I am fine with Woody getting that NTC given the huge discount, but I don't think the Cubs should pressure him into accepting a deal. Like I said in the post above, I am hoping that Jim Hendry has at least approached Wood about the fact that the team isn't going anywhere this year, and if there would be any teams he would be interested in going to. If the answer is no, then I have no problems with it personally given the fact that the guy more than likely turned down several million dollars to play for this team.

but, you can't do that. He has the right to say "negative." And my guess is he will continue signing super-cheap deals as long as they have a NTC in them.
Well the biggest problem, from what I can tell, is the status of Jim Hendry right now. Is he even going to be back next year?

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think Kerry Wood cares who the GM or the manager is. He just wants to be in Chicago because that's where home is.