Kevin Barkley vs Charles Durant thread formerly AtL

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I do because they stopped scoring 120 a game in the Finals and had to actually defend and rebound and struggled mightily.

I must have missed Kevin Durant on the Warriors a month ago.

Reactions: BNB

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I do because they stopped scoring 120 a game in the Finals and had to actually defend and rebound and struggled mightily.

They also didn't have KD in the Finals.

What are the chances that Curry, Klay, KD, and Green will all be cold at that same time? I can guarantee that KD won't go 5-32 in 3 games like Harrison Barnes did.

Also, what the Cavs did was play agressive D on Curry and made him feel uncomfortable. They pretty much let everyone else shoot, minus Klay who always had a guy on him. They won't be able to play that way against Curry with both Klay and KD out there, because then one of them is always going to be left open.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

What are the chances that Curry, Klay, KD, and Green will all be cold at that same time? I can guarantee that KD won't go 5-32 in 3 games like Harrison Barnes did.

Also, what the Cavs did was play agressive D on Curry and made him feel uncomfortable. They pretty much let everyone else shoot, minus Klay who always had a guy on him. They won't be able to play that way against Curry with both Klay and KD out there, because then one of them is always going to be left open.

Klay needs to get better off the dribble. His inability to attack the basket consistently really mucked things up for GS in the Finals in the last three games.

FireFox

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
In other news, Dwayne wade wants 2 years and 50, mil from the heat. He is still using us as leverage.

Benchmob757

Liked Posts:
I'm just curious how the Warriors are gonna divide the shots up. Someone is going to have to make a sacrifice, they can't score 150 per game. Might see someone like Klay get frustrated and struggle being demoted to a 3rd option and scoring single digits some nights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
In other news, Dwayne wade wants 2 years and 50, mil from the heat. He is still using us as leverage.
I don't even understand the logic at this point because there's no way the Bulls have enough space for him after Rondo

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm just curious how the Warriors are gonna divide the shots up. Someone is going to have to make a sacrifice, they can't score 150 per game. Might see someone like Klay get frustrated and struggle being demoted to a 3rd option and scoring single digits some nights.

I feel like the Warriors discussed this prior to talking to Durant and making the serious run at him............. IMO Klay would be best as a 3rd or 4th option anyways. This makes Klay a better player anyways. His strength is spotting up. He knows that. The Warriors just added an elite dribble attack player to get him even more open shots.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

They wont. They brought Durant in. They wanted him. When you do that, you know you are going to sacrifice. All of them met with Durant to pitch the Warriors. GS is the most unselfish team in the league. They are humble even loud mouth Green. They just want to win.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
LOL at the people ripping Durant because Stephen A said it was cowardly. Stephen A is the biggest coward journalist on ESPN now.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I feel like the Warriors discussed this prior to talking to Durant and making the serious run at him............. IMO Klay would be best as a 3rd or 4th option anyways. This makes Klay a better player anyways. His strength is spotting up. He knows that. The Warriors just added an elite dribble attack player to get him even more open shots.

100% agree

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Almost 0%, but Curry and Klay did go cold in game 7 and Green wasn't enough. Is it a different story with KD? Absolutely, but KD had poor shooting nights against the Warriors himself as well. As good a shooter as he is, Durant somehow only averages 33% from 3 in the playoffs. Who would have thought that Curry could be shut down like he was after the season he had? Crazy things happen.

Really you can argue that only worked because Barnes couldn't hit water from a boat in the middle of the ocean. Still, Curry has been essentially locked up by the Cavs 2 years in a row and Klay has been absent in the biggest games as well. It's not entirely out of the realm of possibility that Lebron finds a way to bother Durant into poor shooting.

But rather than insist that the Warriors will go ice cold, I'm just saying defense and rebounding still matters.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
LOL at the people ripping Durant because Stephen A said it was cowardly. Stephen A is the biggest coward journalist on ESPN now.
Durant wanted to win a title, he will probably get what he wanted. Does it make it weaker that it was with a team that doesn't even need him to win? Maybe. But like Shaq always says...RINGS ERNEH!

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Almost 0%, but Curry and Klay did go cold in game 7 and Green wasn't enough. Is it a different story with KD? Absolutely, but KD had poor shooting nights against the Warriors himself as well. As good a shooter as he is, Durant somehow only averages 33% from 3 in the playoffs. Who would have thought that Curry could be shut down like he was after the season he had? Crazy things happen.
Ok so if you're saying this may not work because something "crazy" has to happen....I think it's a safe assumption that it will end up working out REALLY well.

I'm just saying defense and rebounding still matters.

You realize that Durant is an elite defender right? And that he lead his team in rebounds right? The Warriors, IMO, just got better rebounding and on defense with this move.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Ok so if you're saying this may not work because something "crazy" has to happen....I think it's a safe assumption that it will end up working out REALLY well.

Well yes. I fully expect the Warriors to win the title and do it handily. But much like some thought the Heat or the 2004 Lakers or the Nash/Dwight Lakers were going to be invincible, stuff happened and it didn't work out as planned.

You realize that Durant is an elite defender right? And that he lead his team in rebounds right? The Warriors, IMO, just got better rebounding and on defense with this move.
Yes, Durant is a great defender and rebounder. He more than makes up for losing Barnes defensively and he will likely cover a good chunk of Bogut's rebounding. Draymond Green is also an elite defender who led his team in rebounds and the Warriors still got beat in the paint and outrebounded. Maybe Durant changes all that singlehandedly, maybe he doesn't. I expect him to.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes, Durant is a great defender and rebounder. He more than makes up for losing Barnes defensively and he will likely cover a good chunk of Bogut's rebounding. Draymond Green is also an elite defender who led his team in rebounds and the Warriors still got beat in the paint and outrebounded. Maybe Durant changes all that singlehandedly, maybe he doesn't. I expect him to.
And Durant is now on the team alongside Green. What happened a month ago is irrelevant at this point.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

What makes you classify someone as an elite defender?

I ask, because Durant has made zero all-defense teams in his career and received a grand one total vote for 2nd team this past season.

And I'm not saying he's a bad or average defender by any means, I'm just questioning the elite statement.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
What makes you classify someone as an elite defender?

I ask, because Durant has made zero all-defense teams in his career and received a grand one total vote for 2nd team this past season.

And I'm not saying he's a bad or average defender by any means, I'm just questioning the elite statement.

Several advanced metrics when looking at opp FG% against etc show Durant to be an elite defender. IIRC he was at or near the top of the NBA in terms of FG% given up when he contests shots.

He's also been a positive value defender per DRtg his entire career and in all honesty has never really put in the maximum effort to lock down guys except in bigger moments and the playoffs. His career DefRtg is 105. Lebron James' is 102. On average he's only 1 Def W/S less than James a season.

People tend to forget Durant was an All-Big12 defensive team player in college. Guy has legit defensive chops, he just hasn't really been asked to do by OKC because his effort on the offensive end was needed so much more.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Several advanced metrics when looking at opp FG% against etc show Durant to be an elite defender. IIRC he was at or near the top of the NBA in terms of FG% given up when he contests shots.

He's also been a positive value defender per DRtg his entire career and in all honesty has never really put in the maximum effort to lock down guys except in bigger moments and the playoffs. His career DefRtg is 105. Lebron James' is 102. On average he's only 1 Def W/S less than James a season.

People tend to forget Durant was an All-Big12 defensive team player in college. Guy has legit defensive chops, he just hasn't really been asked to do by OKC because his effort on the offensive end was needed so much more.
So in a way, he's kinda been like LeBron has been the last few seasons. Regular season LeBron has definitely looked lacking on defense... Playoff LeBron, not so much.