Knives

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
My favorite knife was some BS knife I bought from Lowes:

820909559092_07665561.jpg

I got so much use out of this knife, the only downfall was it did not have a clip so I think it fell out of my pocket and I lost it. Ended up getting a CRKT:

CR-6865.jpg

So far I like this one, but may order another knife from Lowe's

1COBearsfan

Equinsu ocha
Donator
Liked Posts:
Benchmade is my brand of choice, mostly for the axxis lock system. I’ve got a Griptilian with a sheepsfoot com-20cv steel blade and g10 handle. My next benchmade will be a valet with an m390 steel blade

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
While I like the Axis Lock, I find it weird that they haven't really refined it any since '88. The major problem with it is the failure location (high on the bolster), and the fact that any significant impact in the opposing direction of the spring unlocks the blade (which is why I have no idea why they ever tried to put a glass-breaker on the butt of an Axis Lock knife). Those are two issues that could be easily addressed with minimal changes to the geometry and angle of the mechanism.

AussieBear

This video should help...

[video=youtube_share;OYWGF8Hrkg8]https://youtu.be/OYWGF8Hrkg8[/video]

if left to stand still, he may do sum damage... but if required to move.. he would slice himself in battle..

ShiftyDevil

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Washington Huskies
I don't carry a knife day to day, but when I do pack one around it's usually my Kershaw I got as a gift.

1COBearsfan

Equinsu ocha
Donator
Liked Posts:
While I like the Axis Lock, I find it weird that they haven't really refined it any since '88. The major problem with it is the failure location (high on the bolster), and the fact that any significant impact in the opposing direction of the spring unlocks the blade (which is why I have no idea why they ever tried to put a glass-breaker on the butt of an Axis Lock knife). Those are two issues that could be easily addressed with minimal changes to the geometry and angle of the mechanism.

Are those really areas of concern by lots of people or are you just finding something to nitpick?

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Are those really areas of concern by lots of people or are you just finding something to nitpick?

The location is a personal thing. Probably just paranoia; but if you're looking at the design of any knife (and the physics/engineering behind a locking mechanism), having the lock located in the highest stress area of the joint with little additional structural support, and with the direction of rotational force being applied solely to the little plug that slides into place, it makes me worry a bit.

Axis lock example:
d0ec443ba0067e2a67848b63446be61f--knife-sharpening-survival-knife.jpg

This as opposed to a "lock back" (my personal favorite), where the rotational force being applied to the locking mechanism (a lug, in this case) is actually transferred back into the spine of the blade. Example:

LockBack1.jpg

I've seen tests where the blade repeatedly failed prior to the mechanism in lock backs. So, the lock is actually the strength of that system, whereas I've seen Axis Locks fail at much lower levels of pressure than I would like.

As for the disengagement of the lock with any sort of impact to the butt of the knife, well, that just shouldn't happen. Part of the problem there is that the direction of the travel could easily be changed to not run parallel to the spine of the knife (simple design fix); or, they could just not use some flimsy piece of shit Omega Spring to keep the lock engaged.

Seriously, I just don't get why two very simple things like that haven't been addressed in twenty years.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
The location is a personal thing. Probably just paranoia; but if you're looking at the design of any knife (and the physics/engineering behind a locking mechanism), having the lock located in the highest stress area of the joint with little additional structural support, and with the direction of rotational force being applied solely to the little plug that slides into place, it makes me worry a bit.

Axis lock example:
d0ec443ba0067e2a67848b63446be61f--knife-sharpening-survival-knife.jpg

This as opposed to a "lock back" (my personal favorite), where the rotational force being applied to the locking mechanism (a lug, in this case) is actually transferred back into the spine of the blade. Example:

LockBack1.jpg

I've seen tests where the blade repeatedly failed prior to the mechanism in lock backs. So, the lock is actually the strength of that system, whereas I've seen Axis Locks fail at much lower levels of pressure than I would like.

As for the disengagement of the lock with any sort of impact to the butt of the knife, well, that just shouldn't happen. Part of the problem there is that the direction of the travel could easily be changed to not run parallel to the spine of the knife (simple design fix); or, they could just not use some flimsy piece of shit Omega Spring to keep the lock engaged.

Seriously, I just don't get why two very simple things like that haven't been addressed in twenty years.

What is your take on the lock that slides to the center of the blade inside the frame?

I am not sure what that type of lock is called, but it is fairly common these days.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
liner lock

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
What is your take on the lock that slides to the center of the blade inside the frame?

I am not sure what that type of lock is called, but it is fairly common these days.

Would have to see a pic or model. (not sure exactly what you've referencing).

liner lock

Liner locks basically = frame locks + "handle scales."

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Yeah, liner lock = frame lock with secondary bolstering (handle "scales"); more or less. Those have the lowest fail points of any of the primary modern mechanisms.

Basically, the strength ratings usually line up as: back lock > bearing > Axis > bolt > compression (this is kind of a misnomer, because most of these are "compression locks") > frame > liner > slip.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Yeah, liner lock = frame lock with secondary bolstering (handle "scales"); more or less. Those have the lowest fail points of any of the primary modern mechanisms.

Basically, the strength ratings usually line up as: back lock > bearing > Axis > bolt > compression (this is kind of a misnomer, because most of these are "compression locks") > frame > liner > slip.
Can you explain to me how they fail and in what applications?

Sorry for my ignorance I am realizing I have overlooked the significance of The builds.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Frame and liner locks fail because the mechanism that prevents them from closing is a piece of metal (either an arm of the frame, or an arm of the liner) that is made of material that bends inward to lock the blade into place. So, A) not having a completely solid frame decreases overall rigidity; B) having the portion of the frame/liner made out of material that is designed to deform also contributes to the same issue; C) when you have a piece of metal that makes contact to the tang of the blade at an angle, any force applied to the blade is multiplied at the point of contact (due to mechanical leverage around the pivot point) and causes a failure due to the fact that the force is not being applied to the lock uniformly.

Using this pic as an example:
linerlock2.jpg

It's pretty obvious why and how that mechanism would fail (the lock bar will slip to the side/deform/break).

None of this is usually an issue under every day use, but if you're going to do something extraneous with it then it is something worth considering. As long as you're applying force to the front edge there is nothing to worry about most of the time; but if you're using the tip for anything, or applying rotational torque to the pivot point, or using the spine of the knife, then it's something to consider. Like, if I happen to forget my hatchet on a camping trip I'll just use my folder and a heavy stick to split wood. I wouldn't advise doing that with weaker locks.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
I just got this sweet CDS survival knife which I look forward to putting to use on many camping trips this summer.
7bd136442ad518dfa21dee75d992fc94.jpg
f14a49e3dc47a457b9df9a31ff8a3b1f.jpg

Unfortunately I got to put it to use almost immediately. Bizarrely, our almost six month old kitten, George, managed to climb inside an upholstered chair and got his foot twisted in the fabric. He was in obvious distress and the knife quickly and easily cut the fabric under the chair away to expose him. I made the mistake of using my other hand to secure him so he wouldn't writhe into the knife and get cut, and he fucked me up good.

The dorsum of my hand filled with blood so fast I almost thought I might need surgery, and I knew at least I would need antibiotics as cat bites are nasty and that blood would be the perfect bed for an abscess. So off to the ER I went, where hospital employee or not, the care I received was less than exemplary.

823c0b1d2c533b88826f37c8ab2e741b.jpg
161d691c93818ae62ec37c881f0f7584.jpg

Anyway, I got my antibiotics and some pain meds, and George, though not frisky today looks alright (last night I thought his hip might be dislocated). Had I grabbed a shitty kitchen knife instead cutting that chair open would have taken forever and our kitty might have been in much worse shape.

Last edited:

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I didn't read the text, but going by the pictures, a cat attacked you so you stabbed it to death, well played.

Knives don't kill cats, brave men do.