Kurt Warner's Take on Justin Fields

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Well Williams is not your QB then. You want a QB that throws short screen passes and an OC that calls them for the QB.
Basically Bagent and Getsy is who you want. That is why, it wasn't Bagent, it was Getsy not trusting the UDFA QB. And once he started to trust him the lack of trust was proven to be the correct move because then did we not only not have the line to protect or the targets to catch we didn't have a QB to throw.

Williams is going to hold the ball looking for the trophy shot. The difference between him and Fields is when Williams takes off running he's still looking for the big game shot where Fields is looking to run.
As long as the OC is enamored with the QB's arm, and with the #1 he will be, it's going to be the same thing and we need an offense for that.

The offense didn't look any different than week 1 against GB. Difference is one QB can play on time and the other could not

No amount of WRs or offensive lineman is going to speed up Justin Fields clock

Moses Moreno

Liked Posts:
If the Bears are picking #4 in this draft, keep Justin Fields. Since they're picking #1, they should draft Caleb Williams.

That's it.
I'd like to see Kurt's breakdown of Caleb's game. You'll be hearing the same thing from him.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I should know better than to reply, but are you seriously trying to compare Chase Daniel to Kurt Warner? Seriously?

Kurt Warner is in the NFL Hall of Fame. He went to 3 Superbowls, 2-time league MVP, Superbowl MVP, multiple All Pro, Pro Bowl and led the league in passing at times during this career. He is also paid to do real film analysis for the networks since he retired from playing and has his QB Confidential stuff he does with detailed analysis. The guy was one of the greatest players to ever play and he has stayed current with the game.

Chase Daniel isn't even a candle to any of that and imo, he is going to be a bit biased as he was teammates with Fields as well.

Below are some more things from Warner:

This one does a good job of explaining how the play was too slow developing leading to a sack - so, looks beyond the qb.

Found this one after the Browns game with a long discussion from Warner as well:

Another interview with the score where I think Warner is showing the same message and is a good listen:

Ok, I get it, you're a Kurt Warner stan.

But you think Daniel is the only one? JT O Sullivan, Dan Orlovsky, Brian Baldinger who played O Line - its more than just one guy.

"But Kurt Warner is a Hall of Fame QB!" Yeah sure, and Michael Jordan is a HoF basketball player who has sucked in his post basketball career moves.

Again, I just had a critique that sometimes all of these guys don't spend a ton of time breaking down film, and the time they do spend is on the QB in isolation in a bubble.

If that critique hurts your feelings, tough shit.

Lurk McGurk

Liked Posts:
The looming financial situation with Fields is absolutely a factor in all of this. IMO one of the worst outcomes with QBs is that they are average, or slightly below average, and they end up being paid in the top 10 of QB deals (12 QBs are paid $40M+).

The big contracts for Mahomes, Burrow, Allen etc. aren't the crippling contracts. They make up for that financial impact on the roster by superior QB play. The QBs that get paid when you're not certain, but don't have better options, is what really kills you. IMO it looks like there's a good chance that's the position the Bears would end up in with Fields if they "stay the course".

Mahomes makes $5M per year more than Daniel Jones, Burrow makes $15M more per year than Jones. From that perspective, the best QBs' contracts end up having a lot of value, even though they are huge figures, when you have teams around the league committing so much financially to inferior QBs.

There is also an opportunity cost of passing up on the Bears best shot at a QB prospect in decades, as far as how prospects are viewed by evaluators. That has to be factored in if you are suggesting the Bears could end up not paying Justin even if they stick with him.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
They don’t have to pay for two more years. This part of the argument I don’t get. That giant number everyone talks about is two seasons away.
That’s true but it’s more about it taking 5 years to see what you need in a QB. “Wasting“ another two years to evaluate you QB is a lifetime in the NFL.

It’s not about the accolades or numbers, it’s about the evaluation. The average NFL career is like 3 years? And someone is gonna argue that it’s OK to spend 5 years evaluating if your QB is the guy for your team? Kinda wild.

Canth

Liked Posts:
Ok, I get it, you're a Kurt Warner stan.

But you think Daniel is the only one? JT O Sullivan, Dan Orlovsky, Brian Baldinger who played O Line - its more than just one guy.

"But Kurt Warner is a Hall of Fame QB!" Yeah sure, and Michael Jordan is a HoF basketball player who has sucked in his post basketball career moves.

Again, I just had a critique that sometimes all of these guys don't spend a ton of time breaking down film, and the time they do spend is on the QB in isolation in a bubble.

If that critique hurts your feelings, tough shit.

I just thought that was rather dumb that you were saying that because it took Chase Daniel (a career back-up with little actual playing experience) 17 games to figure something out about Getsy's offense that it meant Kurt Warner (Again HoF QB that has stayed current on the game and game analysis) couldn't do it quicker. I then provided several examples of Warner looking and talking about both Fields and the entire offense. Ie, Warner was looking at both the forest and the trees, not either or.

I do think that Warner and JT O'Sullivan are two of the better content creators in regards to NFL QB (and offense in general) analysis. I really appreciate how both of those guys pick good and bad plays to evaluate the whole picture and really talk the entire play.

I have no idea what multibillionaire, HoF basketball player, Michael Jordan has to do with NFL analysis. But, you do you.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
The offense didn't look any different than week 1 against GB. Difference is one QB can play on time and the other could not

No amount of WRs or offensive lineman is going to speed up Justin Fields clock

Fields also has tunnel vision. I'm not defending him. You are defending the idea that we don't need an offense for Williams.

No amount of not having an offense is going to work with having a gunslinger and that seems to be what the McCaskeys want and think is possible.
And even if you want that noodle arm short game you still need reliable hands to catch, what you don't need is a great big game hunter QB at #1.
I don't understand why so many proven vets being just as much of failures on this team hasn't proven that to you.

None of what you are saying is adding up to needing or wanting Williams. You want the flashy QB but aren't willing to do what it takes to make it work.
It's no different than those who want a pocket passer because it looks like what they dream an NFL QB should be but they aren't willing to have a pocket.
You don't get Williams to be a screen passer. That's not who he is.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Fields also has tunnel vision. I'm not defending him. You are defending the idea that we don't need an offense for Williams.

No amount of not having an offense is going to work with having a gunslinger and that seems to be what the McCaskeys want and think is possible.
And even if you want that noodle arm short game you still need reliable hands to catch, what you don't need is a great big game hunter QB at #1.
I don't understand why so many proven vets being just as much of failures on this team hasn't proven that to you.

None of what you are saying is adding up to needing or wanting Williams. You want the flashy QB but aren't willing to do what it takes to make it work.
It's no different than those who want a pocket passer because it looks like what they dream an NFL QB should be but they aren't willing to have a pocket.
You don't get Williams to be a screen passer. That's not who he is.

i am not talking about screen passes. i am talking about the quarterback being the bottleneck to the offense. if you have a limited QB, there is only so much you can call.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I have seen some Warner takes on Fields that are just the opposite, guess he needs to cover all sides like all the other talking heads.
Those didn't cover the draft and the Bears position therein. If I was picking in the 2nd 1/2 of the 1st round. I stick with Fields as likely would the OP and probably Warner. Keep Fields supporters are constantly trying to change the question to whether you like Fields or not and it's an extremely limited perspective relative to the actual situation.

Of course there degrees of good and bad here that run a pretty wide gamut but the majority here are Fields fans whether they want a tp2 QB from this draft or not.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have seen some Warner takes on Fields that are just the opposite, guess he needs to cover all sides like all the other talking heads.

^ Beat me to it. Earlier, his film reviews and interviews were sparkling. Why dogging him now, when most say he improved late. 🤷‍♂️

TBH, just like Fields' play (for various reasons TBD), my opinion has also been up & down on what to project for Fields.

I've not seen much lately on what mechanics & timing fixes are there to be made, but do recall multiple QB gurus &tape review guys like JT O'Sullivan, Chase Daniels, etc. saying that: (I've seen tons of these film reviews, so I'm paraphrasing here...)

"fixing his footwork (and getting clean snaps from under center if not avail from shotgun) can drastically improve his slow steps from snap to set in pocket, and thus, fix his throwing on schedule". If off schedule, he'll be late to see, and late to pull the trigger...a recurring problem with him "failing to see the open guy". It's more that he's late in his drop backs, and late to their windows.
Also, "he has shown the ability to "throw guys open", and "anticipate openings", when in system (timing)."

Further & in less words:
"It's an easy fix" ~ according to those QB film guys, who were also astonished at how/why Getsy Co. completely failed to address it.

This gives me hope that Fields' is "fixable" and easily so, given his tools & work ethic.

Big Question is whether this is a realistic expectation from Shane Waldron et. al. ???

IF not
, we can all agree the status quo is pedestrian passing overall, despite a few magic play flashes here & there.

Canth

Liked Posts:
^ Beat me to it. Earlier, his film reviews and interviews were sparkling. Why dogging him now, when most say he improved late. 🤷‍♂️

TBH, just like Fields' play (for various reasons TBD), my opinion has also been up & down on what to project for Fields.

I've not seen much lately on what mechanics & timing fixes are there to be made, but do recall multiple QB gurus &tape review guys like JT O'Sullivan, Chase Daniels, etc. saying that: (I've seen tons of these film reviews, so I'm paraphrasing here...)

"fixing his footwork (and getting clean snaps from under center if not avail from shotgun) can drastically improve his slow steps from snap to set in pocket, and thus, fix his throwing on schedule". If off schedule, he'll be late to see, and late to pull the trigger...a recurring problem with him "failing to see the open guy". It's more that he's late in his drop backs, and late to their windows.
Also, "he has shown the ability to "throw guys open", and "anticipate openings", when in system (timing)."

Further & in less words:
"It's an easy fix" ~ according to those QB film guys, who were also astonished at how/why Getsy Co. completely failed to address it.

This gives me hope that Fields' is "fixable" and easily so, given his tools & work ethic.

Big Question is whether this is a realistic expectation from Shane Waldron et. al. ???

IF not
, we can all agree the status quo is pedestrian passing overall, despite a few magic play flashes here & there.

I guess one of my questions on the footwork and timing thing is...hasn't Fields been working with top QB coaches in the offseason(s) for a while now? I am talking his personal QB coach/guru. I mean, even going back to high school, Fields has been in high profile camps with top coaches. So, if it such a 'easy' fix, then how come none of the coaches he has worked with over the years has been able to fix it?

By all accounts, Fields a hard worker and there is all this film on him. My assumption is that he is aware of that area he needs to improve and that he is working on it. But, maybe that also goes back to his comment of having too many people in his ear - everyone sees it, but was giving him conflicting advice or just piling on and had him thinking too much.

DefNextYear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Further & in less words:

IF not
A big reason I liked the Waldron hire was that if he can't fix Fields, we can't expect anyone else to. So we'll find out if he's fixable (assuming they keep him obviously). Honestly, I feel like I never see anyone make significant strides with some "easy fix". This may be cause the fix wasn't that big of a deal to begin with or because changing your natural way of doing things is never that easy at this point in your life. Fields for example, has been throwing the way he throws and playing the way he does for over a decade. When things break down, he's going to revert to natural tendencies. But anyway, just my 2 cents... we'll see.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
One of the things I have learned in watching how former players out there break down QBs, is at times, there seems to be with some of them a "can't see the forest for the trees".

Meaning, it appears at times they get so locked into looking at the position of QB, they actually seem to forget there is a whole offense around the QB, and don't really stop and take into account if the play, the scheme, the offensive system as a whole are actually sound.

I mean, it took Chase Daniel, one of Field's biggest supporters, until the very last game of the year to figure out Luke Getsy's offense didn't have any quick developing WR routes, which could contribute to Fields holding onto the ball too long - because he was waitng for all the longer routes to develop.

And if it took him 17 games for the lightbulb to go on in that regard, how can I also not think other former QBs might be so hyperfocused on the position itself, that they fail to view it within the greater context of the offense?
So HOF QB Kurt Warner has a different opinion than you and you’re explaining to us what he doesn’t understand?

Priceless.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Yes, the number 1 pick is the only reason we’re talking about this. Fields is unquestionably the starter going into next year if they didn’t have that pick. But they don’t have to decide to pay him now. The “oh you’re going to have to pay him xx million” argument is irrelevant.
Resetting the clock with a rookie QB in this case may be irrelevant to fans, but it is very relevant to GM's.

Xplosive

In the Land of the Blind the One Eyed Fan Is Neggd
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
The Bears don't have to DRAFT their next starting QB if Fields doesn't pan out in the next two years. Free agency and trades are also options. Once they have good protection and playmakers they can always use draft capital to make a move to get a sufficient starter.

That's why the reset the clock argument or 3 years is long enough arguments don't hold water. Two years from now maybe Justin Herbert and Trevor Lawrence are on the market since so many believe they're both much better than Fields

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
I should know better than to reply, but are you seriously trying to compare Chase Daniel to Kurt Warner? Seriously?

Kurt Warner is in the NFL Hall of Fame. He went to 3 Superbowls, 2-time league MVP, Superbowl MVP, multiple All Pro, Pro Bowl and led the league in passing at times during this career. He is also paid to do real film analysis for the networks since he retired from playing and has his QB Confidential stuff he does with detailed analysis. The guy was one of the greatest players to ever play and he has stayed current with the game.

Chase Daniel isn't even a candle to any of that and imo, he is going to be a bit biased as he was teammates with Fields as well.

Below are some more things from Warner:

This one does a good job of explaining how the play was too slow developing leading to a sack - so, looks beyond the qb.

Found this one after the Browns game with a long discussion from Warner as well:

Another interview with the score where I think Warner is showing the same message and is a good listen:
Warner is one the few not named Payton manning I listen to. I wish Payton would give more insight than he does on players.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
So HOF QB Kurt Warner has a different opinion than you and you’re explaining to us what he doesn’t understand?

Priceless.

Caleb Williams Derangement Syndrome is real...