Kurt Warner's Take on Justin Fields

Canth

Liked Posts:
Speaking of JT O'Sullivan...here is video short from him that I also basically agree with on Fields. Again, especially due to the Bears having the #1 pick.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
The Bears don't have to DRAFT their next starting QB if Fields doesn't pan out in the next two years. Free agency and trades are also options. Once they have good protection and playmakers they can always use draft capital to make a move to get a sufficient starter.

That's why the reset the clock argument or 3 years is long enough arguments don't hold water. Two years from now maybe Justin Herbert and Trevor Lawrence are on the market since so many believe they're both much better than Fields
My Google isn't working at the moment.

Can you tell me the last Super Bowl winning QB acquired through trade?

I am guessing Steve Young who sat for years after the trade.

Xplosive

In the Land of the Blind the One Eyed Fan Is Neggd
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines

Without googling I'll say the Rams with Stafford

Xplosive

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
@TL1961
Again without googling I'll say Denver & Manning, or how about the Saints with Drew Brees, Brady with Buccaneers... Again I know there are more teams that acquire QBs without having to draft that QB to win a Superbowl.

Once the Bears have a team ready to compete, we can then worry about how to get a QB better than Justin Fields.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
They don’t have to pay for two more years. This part of the argument I don’t get. That giant number everyone talks about is two seasons away.
2 things. 1st is that year 5 will be over $22m. That's already getting paid enough to limit some things and and would be guaranteed if they keep him while exercising the option which you'd assume under those circumstances. It's not deadly but you'd feel it and would limit you if you want to acquire a different QB.

2nd is the current draft position and the extremely low potential of having that again in 2 years. Yes, you could always trade up but that would be counterintuitive to the keep Fields argument of trading down for a haul. You're basically leaking cap and picks if he doesn't work out.

There's also the possibility in the 1st scenario that he's good enough to start but not special enough to get you through the playoffs in which case you should also move on. It may be the most likely of the lot and would also indicate being proactive and getting your guy while you can.

Xplosive

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
2 things. 1st is that year 5 will be over $22m. That's already getting paid enough to limit some things and and would be guaranteed if they keep him while exercising the option which you'd assume under those circumstances. It's not deadly but you'd feel it and would limit you if you want to acquire a different QB.

2nd is the current draft position and the extremely low potential of having that again in 2 years. Yes, you could always trade up but that would be counterintuitive to the keep Fields argument of trading down for a haul. You're basically leaking cap and picks if he doesn't work out.

There's also the possibility in the 1st scenario that he's good enough to start but not special enough to get you through the playoffs in which case you should also move on. It may be the most likely of the lot and would also indicate being proactive and getting your guy while you can.
Stroud was the #2 pick
Justin Herbert #6
Josh Allen #7
Mahomes #10
Watson #12
J. Lo #26

There is no reason to be obsessed with the #1 pick as if that's the only place to draft a QB. The Bears can easily afford Justin's salary even in year 5 because if they draft well they won't be searching for high priced free agents next off-season.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:

Matt Stafford

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I guess one of my questions on the footwork and timing thing is...hasn't Fields been working with top QB coaches in the offseason(s) for a while now? I am talking his personal QB coach/guru. I mean, even going back to high school, Fields has been in high profile camps with top coaches. So, if it such a 'easy' fix, then how come none of the coaches he has worked with over the years has been able to fix it?

By all accounts, Fields a hard worker and there is all this film on him. My assumption is that he is aware of that area he needs to improve and that he is working on it. But, maybe that also goes back to his comment of having too many people in his ear - everyone sees it, but was giving him conflicting advice or just piling on and had him thinking too much.
Agreed, that he probably had to listen to Getsy crew > any personal off-season coach he had. His personal guy can't do much once Getsy takes over in camp. Teams don't let them in the building even, right? Liability, control issues & whatnot.

A big reason I liked the Waldron hire was that if he can't fix Fields, we can't expect anyone else to. So we'll find out if he's fixable (assuming they keep him obviously). Honestly, I feel like I never see anyone make significant strides with some "easy fix". This may be cause the fix wasn't that big of a deal to begin with or because changing your natural way of doing things is never that easy at this point in your life. Fields for example, has been throwing the way he throws and playing the way he does for over a decade. When things break down, he's going to revert to natural tendencies. But anyway, just my 2 cents... we'll see.

It seems that Getsy Co were the ones changing him to force the pocket passing this year, including changing his first step back, which can be done, but just another thing to be conscious of. Ex. Try changing your bowling approach from 5 to 4 steps or vice versa!

unfort. they sucked at quick routes, and shotgun snaps were the majority, while being all over the damn place. Seems to me that looking down for the ball to secure it wherever it ends up each time would slow down the process of reading one's routes. I'm no expert, but do recall those QB tape guys bringing these things up repeatedly.

It's weird how most every QBs problem is getting "happy feet" (Mitch, Rex, even Cutty) and freaking out, esp. when they don't trust protection (*cough* Centers). Yet Fields' steps back were measurably slower than they should be, as if too calm. Get him on some uppers!? 😅

----------------
Good stuff guys. Nice to see decent discussions on here with this topic. I appreciate all the vids from many too...on both QBs!

I really hope it's a Win-Win regardless of QB choice & the scary feedback from SEA & JSN is not smoke of a third Nagy/Getsy curse situation!! You're right ^ at least Waldron is experienced.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
@TL1961
Again without googling I'll say Denver & Manning, or how about the Saints with Drew Brees, Brady with Buccaneers... Again I know there are more teams that acquire QBs without having to draft that QB to win a Superbowl.

Once the Bears have a team ready to compete, we can then worry about how to get a QB better than Justin Fields.
Since 2000 there have been six QB's. Dilfer, Johnson, Brees, Manning, Brady and Stafford.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Wow. That was too easy. I can't believe I forgot that.

So I guess teams DO trade Super Bowl caliber QBs. Well, if they're Detroit, anyway.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
@TL1961

Since 2000 there have been six QB's. Dilfer, Johnson, Brees, Manning, Brady and Stafford.
Well, I asked what teams traded a QB that went on to win a Super Bowl.

The Saints did not acquire Brees via trade.
The Buccaneers did not acquire Brady via trade.
Denver did not acquire Manning via trade.
The Ravens did not acquire Dilfer via trade.
The Buccaneers did not acquire Johnson in a trade.

So, Stafford it is.

Lions gonna Lion.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Stroud was the #2 pick
Justin Herbert #6
Josh Allen #7
Mahomes #10
Watson #12
J. Lo #26

There is no reason to be obsessed with the #1 pick as if that's the only place to draft a QB. The Bears can easily afford Justin's salary even in year 5 because if they draft well they won't be searching for high priced free agents next off-season.
Always with some extreme. I give a very reasoned answer and you completely change the intent. My post never even mentioned CW nor the #1 pick.

It's not being obsessed with the #1 pick It's about getting a top talent at QB which is usually one of the top 2 projected QB prospects. Also a 500 team doesn't have those picks outside of J. Lo without using more resources and we don't know if the league will catch up to him nor what he would have been without sitting behind a super star for 3 years. Do you really want us to use a #1 pick on a backup QB to sit behind Justin for a couple years?

Why not use Prescott, Purdy and Lamar, heck, Brady as your examples. Exceptions don't prove a rule. No one is denying that there's uncertainty in drafting but it doesn't mean you don't take your best shot.

Last edited:

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I have seen some Warner takes on Fields that are just the opposite, guess he needs to cover all sides like all the other talking heads.
Actually you haven't. He has been consistent that Fields shows glimpses of greatness with lots of meh. But since the season's end, he has been true to the theory that given the opportunity at hand and still having doubts on Fields after three yrs he would move on from Fields. And that Fields may very well be good to great, but he has failed to seize the opportunity all variables considered to this point,