Kurt Warner's Take on Justin Fields

DefNextYear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Agreed, that he probably had to listen to Getsy crew > any personal off-season coach he had. His personal guy can't do much once Getsy takes over in camp. Teams don't let them in the building even, right? Liability, control issues & whatnot.

It seems that Getsy Co were the ones changing him to force the pocket passing this year, including changing his first step back, which can be done, but just another thing to be conscious of. Ex. Try changing your bowling approach from 5 to 4 steps or vice versa!

unfort. they sucked at quick routes, and shotgun snaps were the majority, while being all over the damn place. Seems to me that looking down for the ball to secure it wherever it ends up each time would slow down the process of reading one's routes. I'm no expert, but do recall those QB tape guys bringing these things up repeatedly.

It's weird how most every QBs problem is getting "happy feet" (Mitch, Rex, even Cutty) and freaking out, esp. when they don't trust protection (*cough* Centers). Yet Fields' steps back were measurably slower than they should be, as if too calm. Get him on some uppers!? 😅

----------------
Good stuff guys. Nice to see decent discussions on here with this topic. I appreciate all the vids from many too...on both QBs!

I really hope it's a Win-Win regardless of QB choice & the scary feedback from SEA & JSN is not smoke of a third Nagy/Getsy curse situation!! You're right ^ at least Waldron is experienced.
Jenkins brought up the step back a lot. Fortunately, he said it’s only 1 or 2 games to revert back and that could be totally nothing in real game time with the whole offseason and preseason.

maxhatter

Liked Posts:
The Bears don't have to DRAFT their next starting QB if Fields doesn't pan out in the next two years. Free agency and trades are also options. Once they have good protection and playmakers they can always use draft capital to make a move to get a sufficient starter.

That's why the reset the clock argument or 3 years is long enough arguments don't hold water. Two years from now maybe Justin Herbert and Trevor Lawrence are on the market since so many believe they're both much better than Fields
I don't know how you can go about building a team with the backup plan being that maybe Trevor Lawrence or Justin Herbert will be available via trade in two years. And, the only viable way of that happening is that their current teams have concluded that they aren't good enough to lead their teams.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Teddy, you're the poster child for derangement syndrome.
And yet you're the one who has to jump in every post that somehow questions your great Caleb Williams, and either defend him or attack the person who has questions about him.

Sorry, you don't qualify to question anyone else regarding derangement syndrome.

mbison

Liked Posts:
Yes, the number 1 pick is the only reason we’re talking about this. Fields is unquestionably the starter going into next year if they didn’t have that pick. But they don’t have to decide to pay him now. The “oh you’re going to have to pay him xx million” argument is irrelevant.

If they don’t want to pay him now that means they still don’t know if he’s the guy or not.

After 3 season it should be clear to them.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Since 2000 there have been six QB's. Dilfer, Johnson, Brees, Manning, Brady and Stafford.
The GOAT / elite quarterbacks have something to do with that. Brady wasn’t traded. Ruskel Wiltskin was though

Super Bowl 43: Ben Roethlisberger (Santonio Holmes), 1 TD
Super Bowl 44: Drew Brees (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 45: Aaron Rogers (MVP), 3TDs
Super Bowl 46: Eli Manning (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 47: Joe Flacco (MVP), 3TDs
Super Bowl 48: Russell Wilson (Malcolm Smith), 2TDs
Super Bowl 49: Tom Brady (MVP), 4TDs
Super Bowl 50: Peyton Manning (Von Miller), 0TDs
Super Bowl 51: Tom Brady (MVP), 2TDs
Super Bowl 52: Nick Foles (MVP), 3 TDs
Super Bowl 53: Tom Brady (Julian Edelman), 0TDs
Super Bowl 54: Patrick Mahomes (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 55: Tom Brady (MVP), 3 TDs
Super Bowl 56: Matthew Stafford (Cooper Kupp), 3 TDs
Super Bowl 57: Patrick Mahomes (MVP), 3 TDs

Xplosive

In the Land of the Blind the One Eyed Fan Is Neggd
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
I don't know how you can go about building a team with the backup plan being that maybe Trevor Lawrence or Justin Herbert will be available via trade in two years. And, the only viable way of that happening is that their current teams have concluded that they aren't good enough to lead their teams.
Replace the quarterback if/when the QB is holding the team back from winning. Searching for a QB that elevates a bad team to good only leads to mediocrity and busts.

Hunting for a superstar QB while you have a trash overall team is the fools way.

Xplosive

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
Well, I asked what teams traded a QB that went on to win a Super Bowl.

The Saints did not acquire Brees via trade.
The Buccaneers did not acquire Brady via trade.
Denver did not acquire Manning via trade.
The Ravens did not acquire Dilfer via trade.
The Buccaneers did not acquire Johnson in a trade.

So, Stafford it is.

Lions gonna Lion.
I stated clearly that trading or free agency were options for acquiring a QB other then the draft. You reduced my argument to only trades.

I have supplied multiple options outside of the #1 pick for the Bears to replace Fields if he proves he can not succeed with a better supporting cast.

People prefer to manipulate discussions so that they can still cling to their positions.

Canth

Liked Posts:
Man, these are some interesting clips from JT.

Xplosive

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
If they don’t want to pay him now that means they still don’t know if he’s the guy or not.

After 3 season it should be clear to them.
When did this wise and original thought that 3 years was the cutoff point first occur to you?

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
One of the things I have learned in watching how former players out there break down QBs, is at times, there seems to be with some of them a "can't see the forest for the trees".

Meaning, it appears at times they get so locked into looking at the position of QB, they actually seem to forget there is a whole offense around the QB, and don't really stop and take into account if the play, the scheme, the offensive system as a whole are actually sound.

I mean, it took Chase Daniel, one of Field's biggest supporters, until the very last game of the year to figure out Luke Getsy's offense didn't have any quick developing WR routes, which could contribute to Fields holding onto the ball too long - because he was waitng for all the longer routes to develop.

And if it took him 17 games for the lightbulb to go on in that regard, how can I also not think other former QBs might be so hyperfocused on the position itself, that they fail to view it within the greater context of the offense?

JT O'Sullivan said the same thing about Getsy's awful route design.

Last edited:

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I should know better than to reply, but are you seriously trying to compare Chase Daniel to Kurt Warner? Seriously?

Kurt Warner is in the NFL Hall of Fame. He went to 3 Superbowls, 2-time league MVP, Superbowl MVP, multiple All Pro, Pro Bowl and led the league in passing at times during this career. He is also paid to do real film analysis for the networks since he retired from playing and has his QB Confidential stuff he does with detailed analysis. The guy was one of the greatest players to ever play and he has stayed current with the game.

Chase Daniel isn't even a candle to any of that and imo, he is going to be a bit biased as he was teammates with Fields as well.

Below are some more things from Warner:

This one does a good job of explaining how the play was too slow developing leading to a sack - so, looks beyond the qb.

Found this one after the Browns game with a long discussion from Warner as well:

Another interview with the score where I think Warner is showing the same message and is a good listen:

No doubt Warner has a lotta accolades(y). Keep in mind his humble beginnings grocery bagging, Arena Football. What if at the time some Ex-Qb said Warner wasn't worth it and is not a NFL Qb?
Also keep in mind, Warner was surrounded by top talent in St, Louis.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
And yet you're the one who has to jump in every post that somehow questions your great Caleb Williams, and either defend him or attack the person who has questions about him.

Sorry, you don't qualify to question anyone else regarding derangement syndrome.
I refute ridiculous statements. Nothing more.

You just make more than most people.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
No doubt Warner has a lotta accolades(y). Keep in mind his humble beginnings grocery bagging, Arena Football. What if at the time some Ex-Qb said Warner wasn't worth it and is not a NFL Qb?
And Arizona, the only places he did anything

TL1961

Liked Posts:
What if someone told St. Louis not to sign him because there was no guarantee he was going to win a Super Bowl?

TL1961

Liked Posts:
And Arizona, the only places he did anything
The “only places he did anything” were two of the three places where he played where he went three times to a Super Bowl and won one of them.