Larry Borom will compete with Germain Ifedi at RT

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Ifedi was solid at RT last season, running a system that did not put too much on his plate.

Can Nagy maintain that, or is he going to lose his mind again and put Jenkins and Ifedi on an island so he can go shotgun and 4 wide?

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
In my opinion, 100%...

At least until Fields gives them something unstationary and unpredictable.

I heard Jenkins say "I've always gone right at every level every game every practice since pee wee" and then I hear the bears plans for him and I think...

Only the Bears.
The old standbye. Only the Bears.

WTF?

Borom to compete at RT is another WTF?
Only the Bears.

I think Ifedi might be the best LT on the team. Jenkins is probably the best RT. Daniels and Whitehair for sure 2 of 3 inside in some combo.

I dont understand.

I think Jenkins should be RT where he will succeed, Ifedi and Borom should be fighting to prove they can hold down RG, so that Mustert and Bars can form a versatile core bench.

I don't see an adequate LT on the roster and believe this is a 15 month project to tank and come out guns blazing in fall 2022.
Why would a team tank after it traded it's 2022 #1?

pinkfloydster

Liked Posts:
Who thought of Borom as a guard? Posters on this board?
Borom got labeled a guard because his playing weight at Missouri was 350+ pounds. I guess modern NFL offensive tackles need to be more mobile. After the season ended, Borom showed up to his pro-day 34 lbs lighter. Why the weight fluctuations? You can speculate if you read between the lines on the Bears scout interview post drafting him. The scout said something to the affect and I am paraphrasing, "apparently Missouri coaches want their tackles that big".

So, Borom's playing weight got him labeled a guard, with decreased mobility, and raised concerns for having troubles controlling his playing weight. It would seem that there is a good thesis for why Borom is a steal in the 5th round since he now weighs 325 and had great measurables on his pro-day.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Borom got labeled a guard because his playing weight at Missouri was 350+ pounds. I guess modern NFL offensive tackles need to be more mobile. After the season ended, Borom showed up to his pro-day 34 lbs lighter. Why the weight fluctuations? You can speculate if you read between the lines on the Bears scout interview post drafting him. The scout said something to the affect and I am paraphrasing, "apparently Missouri coaches want their tackles that big".

So, Borom's playing weight got him labeled a guard, with decreased mobility, and raised concerns for having troubles controlling his playing weight. It would seem that there is a good thesis for why Borom is a steal in the 5th round since he now weighs 325 and had great measurables on his pro-day.

If they somehow got their future LT/RT and franchise QB out of this draft no one in chicago should ever speak a bad word about Ryan Pace.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ifedi was solid at RT last season, running a system that did not put too much on his plate.

Can Nagy maintain that, or is he going to lose his mind again and put Jenkins and Ifedi on an island so he can go shotgun and 4 wide?
we are talking about Nagy

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:

2f1f1920d13320f0d31cc6cd05c267be.png

pinkfloydster

Liked Posts:
If they somehow got their future LT/RT and franchise QB out of this draft no one in chicago should ever speak a bad word about Ryan Pace.

Hold on cowboy! Shaheen, Miller, Trubisky, Foles, Trevathan, and Quinn...those are some awful decisions. I think if he doesn't repeat his mistakes of swinging big for mediocrity, he'll be fine.

Liked Posts:
I do hope the two kids start at the OT positions with the 3 Vets in the interior.

With Jenkins at LT, Whitehair at LG & Borom ar RT with Ifedi RG, I do think puts the newbies in the best possible setup to succeed outside of any extra schematics.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Well they can if that doesn't turn into a consistent winner. No one gives a shit about winning the draft if you don't actually win in the regular season and playoffs.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why would a team tank after it traded it's 2022 #1?
It's 5D chess. Nagy has maneuvered the power game to the brink and will tank fire Pace, assume full control and live happily ever after. A Sith lord move he learned from Andy Reid.

"Don't share the glory. Unless it's your penis or a Hawaiian shirt." One of his masters favorite sayings actually.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I hope Ifed can be solid at RT.

I hope Borom can be better than that long term.

I am also mentally prepared to pick another OT high or pay one in free agency if these guys cannot be above average.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Please post a link to Jenkins saying he has only ever gone to his right ever since pee wee football, seeing that he played some LT in college and he stated that he is capable of playing both tackle positions and guard positions and he has even trained at center this offseason.
No, he said he practiced all positions his last year to prepare for NFL. And coach let him play some LT snaps.

He's a RT. He's built like a RT. He plays like a RT. And until last year he never even imagined different.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'll go along with that.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I heard Castillo on the radio yesterday fawning over Ifedi, loving those 36 inch arms. He said he wouldn’t be surprised if Ifedi made the pro bowl this season.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Maybe Larry Borom is a diamond in the rough, but it's a little concerning that people are just buying in without thinking to a guy who was forecasted by most to be an undrafted backup.

Not saying he definitely won't be good, but I'm curious to know why so many seem to know he definitely will be.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
I heard Castillo on the radio yesterday fawning over Ifedi, loving those 36 inch arms. He said he wouldn’t be surprised if Ifedi made the pro bowl this season.
Kill me now.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I rewatched Ifedi vs GB and plan to do a couple more games this week as we are in another lock down.

He was better than I thought. I think Castillo may have actually solved his biggest pass pro issue.

pinkfloydster

Liked Posts:
Maybe Larry Borom is a diamond in the rough, but it's a little concerning that people are just buying in without thinking to a guy who was forecasted by most to be an undrafted backup.

Not saying he definitely won't be good, but I'm curious to know why so many seem to know he definitely will be.

Valid question. I mean, how many teams pin their hopes on a 5th round draft pick. It's simply because a lot of the Bears draft picks have been traded away. Their cap situation is challenged. So, this guy is probably gonna be a starter at some point, like it or not.

That said, Borom has a good story for being underdrafted. The draft had a lot of tackles. He played way overweight but it looks like he was coached to do this. He has since lost that weight. And his measurables are really solid.

Unfortunately, this is going to be a recurring theme of hoping 6th and 7th round picks + UDFAs fill in the gaps. Is it hopeless? Not entirely, as Pace has unearthed some really good players. But they have a helluva a hill to climb.