Last year at this time: pre-draft and Alshon

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Many of us hadn't met before the merger.

I was pounding Alshon Jeffrey as the pick #23, or wherever we picked exactly. I won't name names, but the Jeffrey is fat crowd had a specific leader we all know.

I was taughting him as the next Brandon Marshal and would be a good X pairing with Cutler.

favorite college tape ever- check out his 8th grade footage- looks like children he plays with.

somebody made this mirroring of marshal/jeffrey after the draft I think. well done and shows why some equated the two emphatically.

[video=youtube;GTegYX4Gro4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTegYX4Gro4[/video]

anyway...its just funny. I was disappointed in his rookie year, but saw potential. Getting the real deal Marshal took 100+ balls away from opportunity, and thats a good thing. If he steps it up and they become the dualing dragon heads for the dragon rider. We have a chance at things.

Good luck all. Have a happy draft 2013.
There aren't any players I am as high on this year. but my top list of targets is

Fluker, Hankins, Cooper, Warmack, CB Rhodes, TE Ertz, Keenan Allen WR, Eddie Lacy RB, Larry Warford OG, Travis Frederick, Leveon Bell RB, Monte Ball, Nico Johnson, Quessenberry, Schwenke, Swope, Kugbila OG, and on the fence about TE Toilolo

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
here is the high school footage. CLASSIC SHIT

[video=youtube;Iz4X77xosmg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz4X77xosmg[/video]

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Last years Shea pick must have had you really scratching your head.

Edit: AJ was a great pick up in the second round.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I was probably one of the more bearish people about Jeffery. I stick by my assessments:

Pros
- Great catching radius.
- Huge WR that's good at using his body to win jump ball situations.
- Natrual Hands catcher.

Cons
- Was not sudden in his movement. It effects his ability to get out of his cuts quickly or generate YAC.
- Ran a limited route tree in college (hooks, slants and go routes).
- Was typically taken down by the first defender, despite typically having a lot of size over them.

There was a concern about his his weight and how it jumped up and effected his Junior season at S. Carolina. What somewhat compounded that was that he showed up to the Combine and didn't work out. All he did was got weighed and measured (of which he came in shorter than expected). He didn't say he was recovering from an injury, but choose to not participate in any of the drills. To me it stunk of someone who went on a crash diet where his athletic performance would have been comprimised. He needed over a month (Feb 22nd to March 28th) to be ready for his own pro day where he did okay. Ran decent at 4.47, but that was on a fast track, so it's tough to say what his true 40 is.

It's early into the evaluation, but personally I'm glad to see he's somewhat turned things around. He seems really dedicated to keeping his weight down and focused on getting better at his craft. Now he's just got to find a way to stay healthy.

Alterego

Master Debater
Donator
Liked Posts:
Last years Shea pick must have had you really scratching your head.

Edit: AJ was a great pick up in the second round.

i had torrets for a week after the Shea pick

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I liked him but didn't want a WR or OL at 19. I didn't think Reiff that sure LT and DeCastro is a vg G but this year will have similar quality later. I wanted a DE but I had 2 others before Shea. Wasn't pissed because I'm aware of what I'm unaware of. LOL Loved the move up in 2 and AJ where we got him at the time.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah....the Shea pick hurt me. After alot of research I liked his hips and the way the whole team attacked the ball at Boise St. His college nickname "assassin" is pretty cool.

But I voiced my concerns about his pro ability with size and strength at the point of attack.

He was worse against the run than anybody could have predicted. I think he will have a better second year, but he is a black and white player.

He will always look terrible on one play, and make a big play the next. You do see that with Clay Mathews. they are offensive defenders, in that there attack skills are high, but when the defender gets into them they can't stop that either. Hit or miss every play, and you need solid players all around you to limit that liability.

I think we switch to a 3-4 by 2014 and he will fall into place and be a bigger assett.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
I hope you weren't talking about me - I thought he was slow, not fat, and did have some concerns with him as the #1 overall pick - that we got him for a second rounder actually re-enforced that feeling.

However, that said, aside from saying we should have used our #1 pick on him, I'll say people backing this kid were absolutely right. I love the pick and the prospect now, still feel we got him at the right exact spot, and even with his rookie year being up and down, I'd say thats normal for a rookie to be in his first year, and his work ethic and attitude have been great.

Won't admit to being wrong about drafting him in the first round, but I'll say that so far, I was dead wrong on everything else and very happily so.

Bearfanfromnewjersey

Liked Posts:
while he wont be the next B Marshall i think he can be a good deep threat and a solid WR in the NFL. I could easily see him year in and year out putting up a solid 60-70REC/900-1100YDS/6-8TD

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
His biggest pre-draft drawback, was his inability to gain separation, and since he obviously can`t figure out how to push off without getting flagged, that problem won`t go away anytime soon.

Bearfanfromnewjersey

Liked Posts:
also the Shea pick was not good. i like Shea as a player but he is playing out of position on the Bears. we should have take Chandler Jones

Wakacha

Liked Posts:
His biggest pre-draft drawback, was his inability to gain separation, and since he obviously can`t figure out how to push off without getting flagged, that problem won`t go away anytime soon.

Having a real WR coach will help

NckllChicago

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He got behind the opposing defenses multiple times. His stat line is more due to injury than anything else. The arrow is definitely pointing up.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Remember when Emery got Marshall for 2 3rds, then picked up Jeffery for a 2nd? Oh boy. If this team takes off under Trestman, thats what we are going to look back on as the foundation.

Love Da Bears

Liked Posts:
here is the high school footage. CLASSIC SHIT

[video=youtube;Iz4X77xosmg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz4X77xosmg[/video]

This film is basically "hey, let's run the play where we throw it up for grabs towards Alshon!"

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I hope you weren't talking about me - I thought he was slow, not fat, and did have some concerns with him as the #1 overall pick - that we got him for a second rounder actually re-enforced that feeling.

However, that said, aside from saying we should have used our #1 pick on him, I'll say people backing this kid were absolutely right. I love the pick and the prospect now, still feel we got him at the right exact spot, and even with his rookie year being up and down, I'd say thats normal for a rookie to be in his first year, and his work ethic and attitude have been great.

Won't admit to being wrong about drafting him in the first round, but I'll say that so far, I was dead wrong on everything else and very happily so.

Well, value wise, the 2nd spot was right on. But talent wise, its starting to look like he probably deserved to go in the 1st, imo.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jeffery is still a "good potential, bad production" player at this point. For a starting NFL WR to end up with 24 catches (yes, he missed time with injury) is pretty underwhelming. My favorite 'memory' of the Alshon pre-draft discussion was some guy was hyping up Jeffery because he held all the SEC conference receiving records...not realizing the records he broke were Earl Bennett's. Ironic.

I don't really get how someone can be a football fan and not have a grasp of the typical learning curve for WRs.