Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
Some say he wanted Rios, some say it was a block that bit him in the ass.

Gunzaan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
What was the deal with claiming that contract in the first place?

At the time, I guess it was to stop the Tigers from grabbing him because they showed incredible interest. In hindsight, with that contract, on top of what they had, I don't see them signing Fielder. Of course, around here, talking bad about KW is sacreligious!

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
I'm actually glad Detroit signed Prince. That will cost them either Cabrera or Verlander in the future. Prince will only be useful for the first 3 years of that mega deal.

Last edited:

Gunzaan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm actually glad Detroit signed Prince. That will cost them either Cabrera or Verlander in the future. Prince will only be useful for the first 3 years of that mega deal.

Considering there is no salary cap in this ridiculous sport, you don't know that... Especially with Victor Martinez off the books after this year.

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
Considering there is no salary cap in this ridiculous sport, you don't know that... Especially with Victor Martinez off the books after this year.

After 2014, but point taken.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
the tigers are going to be reeeeaaal good next year.

replace delmon young with vmart pretty much. yikes.

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
They'll need a new second baseman, fifth starter, and corner outfielder.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
you sure are a smart one. When will you realize that BA means nothing. I guess juan pierre is better than dunn because of BA right?

Have you looked at Rios career? the most inconsistent player and highly paid. He also likes to relax in the outfield and take naps.

Where has your boy been in sept? .292/.316 OBP yay he has a nice BA yay!

Now, I love me some Moneyball, SABR, Bill James, Voros, Sheehan, etc. etc., but this is a dangerous line that really needs to be addressed, because it is irresponsible to say that BA means nothing.

It does mean something. It shouldn't carry as much weight as it had in the past, but to completely dismiss the BA stat is kinda dumb. There is no one number that defines a player, and the subsequent chase that a section of the Stats community (of which I consider myself a member) has embarked upon to find One number to define a player is pretty much dumbing down player analysis.

BA should still carry weight, it is indicative of how well a player makes contact in an arbitrarily selected amount of Plate Appearances. Juan Pierre does have some value because he can make contact. How much that means is lesser than how often a player gets on base, but it doesn't mean absolutely nothing. I mean shit, Ichiro has a lot of value and he is all BA and SPD.

To get to the Alex Rios vs. Adam Dunn stuff, it isn't crazy to say that Alex Rios has been better this year. Yes they are two very different players, one plays plus defense, the other one doesn't. Rios has 18 more XBH than Dunn (36 2B, 8 3B, 24 HR for Rios, 19 2B, 0 3B, 41 HR's for Dunn), which drives up his OPS which is also higher than Dunn's. Those last to factors, XBH and OPS, are driven up by Rios's BA, which of course has no value, except that it helps translate into some extra points of slugging.

Rios is inconsistent as hell, he is maddening and doesn't have near the track record that Dunn has, but there are red flags for Dunn even in this season. Dunn strikes out a lot, and that's fine, but his contact rate has continued to drop in the American League. He doesn't hit for average and that's fine too, but a .208 is still considered a red flag when you are evaluating where a player is in his career.

Perhaps this will become a sig line next year, but Adam Dunn to me looks like a guy that is at the end of his career. If you want to roll dice with that, I get the rationale. But it is stupid to completely disregard Alex Rios just because and ignore the year he's had thus far.

Both have had tremendous bounce back years, both do merit consideration for staying on this team long term. I would just rather do it with Rios.

Status
Not open for further replies.