CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I figured bigger shoulders, so you might get a bigger 8-10lb piece of meat to smoke, but it'd be tougher.

But if you could source this meat for substantially cheaper than ordinary pork shoulder, it would be a nice option for restaurants or caterers who do big batches of pulled/shredded pork for sandwiches/nachos/tacos.

If you're smoking the meat for 6-8 hours anyways, and you could get these pork shoulders cheaper, it seems like it'd be a nice option for the restaurant food supply chain as well as a money-making enterprise for the Texans who have guns/ammo/muscles, but lack stable/lucrative income sources.

I've always concluded that the meat must not cook to the same fall-apart tender and/or not taste as good, or this kind of business/product would be thriving.

Problem more than likely is in the industrial processing of the meat.... those industries seem to have been overloaded by normal pork product butchering WITHOUT adding on a newer and cheaper volume hog supply.

This may well be a big shift in the future with AI/robots.... if they do the animal slaughtering and butchering, no human has to ever see or hear about the industrial grade slaughtering.

An enterprising Texan may well one day have his robots do the butchering/slaughtering/packaging/deliveries, while all he does is plan the part where you trap and/or kill the hogs in volume.
Some of the bigger boars have shoulder armour. And their genitals stink. Bad. You need to cut out and remove the genitals in one chunk to preserve the taste of the rest of the animal. I doubt you could get a decent ham from a real old boar, but likely good chops. The rest can be sausage.

I hunted a lot of elk, and deer in Alberta, and caribou in Iqaluit.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Diesel has lost about 8 pounds so we decide between an endoscopy or a full laparotomy for a biopsy. All his tests are normal except for swollen lymph nodes and thickened small intestinal walls around his gut. My wife just wants to put him down and get another cat but I am thinking biopsy. My heart just breaks when we leave him at the vet

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Diesel has lost about 8 pounds so we decide between an endoscopy or a full laparotomy for a biopsy. All his tests are normal except for swollen lymph nodes and thickened small intestinal walls around his gut. My wife just wants to put him down and get another cat but I am thinking biopsy. My heart just breaks when we leave him at the vet
Have you taken to other vets to get their diagnosis/opinion?

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
This would seem like a good thread to voice my disdain not only for interwebz trolling maggots but for veterinarians. I've never liked them. Never trusted them. Have always thought the majority of them were in it to prey on crazy pet lovers and take advantage of them so I pretty much just think of them as lowlifes. We've had many pets throughout the years and never really had too much problem with the vet hospital close to us. Overpriced for sure, but no major problem. Still, my mistrust and general dislike of vets never diminished. Have heard plenty of vet horror stories from others.

Now, here comes the recent vet horror story in my fam. My oldest was living off campus while in her 4th year of college. Her and a friend got a puppy, a very energetic, never run out of gas type puppy. He did run out of gas a few months after getting him though so it was quite obvious he was ill. So she took him to a vet, Vet told her he was really sick and close to death. Said he had swallowed that squeeky part of a dog toy (he'd always rip his toys apart so it was believable). Vet then told her he'd have to cut him open and it would cost 5K. My daughter said she's a college student and asked about a payment plan. He said no to that but offered to put the dog down for a couple of hundred bucks, saying he was going to die soon anyway and you don't want him to suffer. My daughter didn't like that option either so she left with the sick dog.

Since she is a student, with only a part time job, living on her own in the big city, she called the ASPCA hospital to see if they could help her and her dog out. They said they would and set up an appointment. She went to leave the dog there before going to classes. They took a look at him and said he had pneumonia with a lot of fluid in his lungs. Told her she should say good bye to him before leaving cause he was very sick and there was a good chance he wouldn't make it.

It's a happy ending though cause the dog is with me now as I type. He made a full recovery about a week after being checked in to that hospital. Ended up costing about the same amount that the vet, who misdiagnosed him, was going to charge to put him down. My daughter's schedule changed, she asked us to take him shortly after all that. He's always chewing at stuff, playing rough with our other dog, has to be watched constantly. Can be a real pain in the ass and is, very likely, the most lovable dog you'll ever meet.