Mac Jones, second best QB in this draft class

Tillman33

Liked Posts:
Fact of life: If the Patriots take him he’s the next Tom Brady, if the Bears take him he’s the next Nick Foles. That’s really how bad this org is at developing QBs, but fuck it, draft him.

Accuracy is like the last thing the Bears have looked for in a QB the last 10 times. If accuracy is your best skill you might just make it.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

I see this draft as the same as the 2003 NFL draft.

That draft was hyped as having a ton of talent at qb, and a generational talent at the top.

There were massive arguments over which qb would have the better career.

Instead, Carson Palmer, the #1 overall QB, was an average NFL QB, and Rex Grossman, Byron Leftwich, and Kyle Boller all sucked.

Drafting a qb that year was like the famous quote from the movie "WarGames" - the only way to win, was not to play.

I think the same about this year's draft.

vanavyman

Liked Posts:
Fact of life: If the Patriots take him he’s the next Tom Brady, if the Bears take him he’s the next Nick Foles. That’s really how bad this org is at developing QBs, but fuck it, draft him.

Accuracy is like the last thing the Bears have looked for in a QB the last 10 times. If accuracy is your best skill you might just make it.
Jones is really smart. The 2 main things a QB needs is to be, smart enough to know on every play where the ball is supposed to go and then deliver it accurately. Jones appears to do these better than most.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Grading QB's on the performance of 1 game each, even when it's against the same opponent, is the mother of all fuck-ups

The Bears beat the Bucs so doesn't that mean we have the better QB??

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Jones is really smart. The 2 main things a QB needs is to be, smart enough to know on every play where the ball is supposed to go and then deliver it accurately. Jones appears to do these better than most.

But that's in college where many QB's play good, but when you get to the NFL it's a whole different game and that's where having the mentality and the confidence in yourself and to be able to read these defenses and not be scared to stand in the pocket long enough to let a WR get open and take the big hit that's coming and then being able to get up and do it again on the next play.

A lot more is needed to make it as a NFL QB which is why if 7 QB's get drafted then maybe 2 at the most are expected to make it and there's probably pretty good odds against even 2 making it.

vanavyman

Liked Posts:
But that's in college where many QB's play good, but when you get to the NFL it's a whole different game and that's where having the mentality and the confidence in yourself and to be able to read these defenses and not be scared to stand in the pocket long enough to let a WR get open and take the big hit that's coming and then being able to get up and do it again on the next play.

A lot more is needed to make it as a NFL QB which is why if 7 QB's get drafted then maybe 2 at the most are expected to make it and there's probably pretty good odds against even 2 making it.
That may be true, but very few QBs graduate from college in little over 2 years and then get a Master's degree within 4 years while playing Major College football.

benplace

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
There is 2 good QBs in this draft. Trevor Lawerence and Zach Wilson. I also think Wilson will be a better QB in the long run.
All you have to do is watch highlights and see who is looking for the open man and who is telegraphing all of their passes. (That doesn't work in the NFL)

rawdawg

Liked Posts:

Accuracy was thought to be Trubisky's biggest strength as well.

" Trubisky is very polished as a passer playing with good balance and consistent mechanics, which leads him to throw with great accuracy in the short/intermediate passing game."

"With NFL coaches known to covet quarterbacks with pinpoint accuracy and exceptional anticipation skills, Trubisky's spectacular talents as a passer put him near the top of the charts."

Tillman33

Liked Posts:

" Trubisky is very polished as a passer playing with good balance and consistent mechanics, which leads him to throw with great accuracy in the short/intermediate passing game."

"With NFL coaches known to covet quarterbacks with pinpoint accuracy and exceptional anticipation skills, Trubisky's spectacular talents as a passer put him near the top of the charts."

Mitch had more red flags than Mac. Smaller school, didn’t really play in a prostyle offense, benched for a guy who didn’t even make it to the NFL lol..

Jones has some risk too but he is a legitimately accurate QB. The question is can his pocket presence offset his complete lack of mobility.

Luke

Liked Posts:

If you put anything into stats, Mac just set the single season record for completion percentage.
he was at 77.4% and 11.2 y/a, besting Burrow the year before at 76.3 and 10.8 y/a .
In comparison, Trubs last year was at 68% and 8.4 y/a.
If you saw any senior bowl practice, he was putting the ball where only the receiver could catch it.
He picked up the offense in 3 days and was putting all of the other guys into their positions.
He has a chance to be pretty good depending on where he goes. I used that same terminology for Watson who obviously has surpassed that so one never really knows.

OliverTwistCone

Liked Posts:
Jones is the next Cade McNown. Not mobile and playing around tons of talent. If we trade up for Jones where does the OL help come from? Hed be another wasted talent. Might as well go all in on Wilson or Tray.
Lol bad take. Cade McNown was a full on asshat, in every sense of the word. This was a lazy and stupid comp

thenewguy

Liked Posts:
I'm starting to like Jones more and more. I think he's the type that could fit with Nagy/Pace. They need a QB that can process and get the ball out on time. Jones does that as well as any QB in the draft, with less tools than all the other first rounders.

His strengths though are to me the most important for an NFL QB. Before anyone says it, yes the Bears need to improve the oline, but we are talking about more than just next year when drafting a QB. And a QB who can read defenses and identify blitzes doesn't need the athleticism of a Lamar Jackson.

fenderpfunk

Liked Posts:
In one of these multiverses Cade McNown is on a Brady like run for the bears delivering his 10th Super Bowl at age 44 this last season.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
I find it hilarious that so many people on this board think there will be 5 QB's taken before our 20th pick. That has happened one time in the last 22 years. Very slim chance that happens.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
I find it hilarious that so many people on this board think there will be 5 QB's taken before our 20th pick. That has happened one time in the last 22 years. Very slim chance that happens.
It is an exceptionally strong year at the position. All five of Lawrence, Fields, Lance, Wilson and Jones feel like better prospects than Jared Goff was when he went first overall. I'm sure there will be some controversy in saying that I think they're all better than Baker Mayfield, but I still think its the truth. With the contract precedents getting set for the quarterback position every year it makes more and more sense to secure a guy on a rookie deal.

So I think the conditions are ripe for some history to be set with regards to quarterbacks this yer.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
It is an exceptionally strong year at the position. All five of Lawrence, Fields, Lance, Wilson and Jones feel like better prospects than Jared Goff was when he went first overall. I'm sure there will be some controversy in saying that I think they're all better than Baker Mayfield, but I still think its the truth. With the contract precedents getting set for the quarterback position every year it makes more and more sense to secure a guy on a rookie deal.

So I think the conditions are ripe for some history to be set with regards to quarterbacks this yer.

I guarantee you everything you said has been said multiple times before too. I can't count how many times someone on this board has said "so and so will never be there for the Bears pick". Not only was that player there, he was there WAY past the Bears pick.