Mac Jones, second best QB in this draft class

RubberBanMan

I’m just a fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jamarcus Russell says hello. Hey I like Jones as a player. I just have a hard time believing he is going to succeed behind this line. Nor do I think he is there at 20.

Look at Burrows... who do you all think compares similarly... gotta be Wilson.

jamarcus russell??? The only argument against what i was saying is to go find and point out the successful franchise qb with a 6 pack and shredded, where is that guy?

but that wasn’t even my point hence the green font in my other message. Obviously im not saying only lazy fat qbs can be successful. Just saying you shouldn’t write off mac jones bc he doesnt hang clean 352 pounds like trubisky did at NC

and yes, agreed. no way jones is available at 20

wonky73

Las Vegas Sorts News
Liked Posts:

I see this draft as the same as the 2003 NFL draft.

That draft was hyped as having a ton of talent at qb, and a generational talent at the top.

There were massive arguments over which qb would have the better career.

Instead, Carson Palmer, the #1 overall QB, was an average NFL QB, and Rex Grossman, Byron Leftwich, and Kyle Boller all sucked.

Drafting a qb that year was like the famous quote from the movie "WarGames" - the only way to win, was not to play.

I think the same about this year's draft.
I remember that draft. I was desperate for the Bears to take Dewayne Robertson. I was convinced he'd be a superstar. Just another in my long list of draft mistakes. I'd make a good Bears GM. I also really like Grossman coming out of college.

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think Jones is the 2nd or 3rd QB that comes off the board, I bet Field drops to the teens.

46FEVER

Liked Posts:
I think Jones is the 2nd or 3rd QB that comes off the board, I bet Field drops to the teens.
And in that case I would pass on Fields. I think in terms of talent and who fits in this mess we call an organization Id rather go all in on Wilson or pull a Ditka and get Watson. Jmo

greg23

Liked Posts:
Picks 1-20
I see 12 possible teams who could draft a qb
4 of those DONT have a qb (Jax ne wft chi)

I'd be shocked if there weren't 5 qb taken in the top 20 and I could see and have said for a while that Lance could be the one who slides

46FEVER

Liked Posts:
Lol bad take. Cade McNown was a full on asshat, in every sense of the word. This was a lazy and stupid comp
Ass hat... parked in a handicap spot... you snowflakes dont know shitt about bears qb history. Look into how McMahon showed up to his first press conference. Fucking millenials smfh

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Still remember the entitlement of McCown. First day of reporting to camp rookie year he pulls up an parks in the handicap zone and thought nothing of it

It proved he was a complete fool with zero conscious. He had already been busted for having a handicap sticker at UCLA.

LiverpoolBearsFAn

Liked Posts:
I think Jones drops because pocket passers are no longer trendy. If he’s there at 20 I’m taking him then just putting everything into getting the O Line right. Tag Robinson. Many of the other pieces are already there around this team.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I think Jones drops because pocket passers are no longer trendy. If he’s there at 20 I’m taking him then just putting everything into getting the O Line right. Tag Robinson. Many of the other pieces are already there around this team.

I’m not sure he gets past the Patriots but I would have zero issue if the Bears draft Jones.

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
And in that case I would pass on Fields. I think in terms of talent and who fits in this mess we call an organization Id rather go all in on Wilson or pull a Ditka and get Watson. Jmo

As far as I know the current best offer for Watson was 3 1st rd picks and Christian McCaffrey. Also, the Texans made it very public to say they are NOT trading him. So I think that option is null.

As far as Wilson, I think he is the biggest Boom
or Bust, like Mahomes was. If he can do the things in college in the NFL, then he is the best player in the Draft. If the jets roll with Darnold, and Falcons pick Jones or Fields at 4 to sit behind Ryan. You still need to trade up into the top 10 maybe #6 with philly.

ChiKhan

QB1
Liked Posts:
Something that doesn't get talked about enough about mobile QBs is sometimes they have a clean pocket and run into a sack. Brady still proves pocket presence is one of the biggest assets a QB can have as an NFL QB and it isn't all necessary about mobility when it comes to avoiding sacks.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Mitch had more red flags than Mac. Smaller school, didn’t really play in a prostyle offense, benched for a guy who didn’t even make it to the NFL lol..

Jones has some risk too but he is a legitimately accurate QB. The question is can his pocket presence offset his complete lack of mobility.

You're like the 3rd person to say UNC was a "smaller" school. It's a similar sized school in a similar Power 5 conference as Alabama (when Trubisky was there Watson was at Clemson, Lamar Jackson at Louisville). You act like we're talking Alabama vs. South Dakota. And Trubisky wasn't benched. He came in as a freshman and didn't unseat the guy who had the job when he got there. As a reference, Kyler Murray, Baker Mayfield, and Justin Fields transferred because they couldn't win jobs from players who aren't NFL talents.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
If you put anything into stats, Mac just set the single season record for completion percentage.
he was at 77.4% and 11.2 y/a, besting Burrow the year before at 76.3 and 10.8 y/a .
In comparison, Trubs last year was at 68% and 8.4 y/a.
If you saw any senior bowl practice, he was putting the ball where only the receiver could catch it.
He picked up the offense in 3 days and was putting all of the other guys into their positions.
He has a chance to be pretty good depending on where he goes. I used that same terminology for Watson who obviously has surpassed that so one never really knows.

Oh yeah, I'm not trying to compare Jones and Trubisky's accuracy at all. Just saying, college accuracy and NFL accuracy aren't the same. Everyone is talking about Justin Fields not throwing to his 2nd or 3rd reads, but Mac Jones actually has the lowest % of tight window throws and the lowest completion % NOT throwing to his 1st read of the top 5 QBs in this draft (read this on Twitter & it's per PFF).