Make coaches fulfill their whole contracts.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
I think teams need to start holding coaches to their contracts. I don't think it's fair to bring in players a coach asks for and then said coach gets stolen away. You teach your guys a system and then leave for a better job leaving your old team screwed and changing systems again. If we sigh a OC to a 3 year contract and invest picks and money into getting him his guys then he needs to honer the contract he signed. He can get his promotion when his contract is done. This drives me crazy. Am I the only who feels this way?

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I think teams need to start holding coaches to their contracts. I don't think it's fair to bring in players a coach asks for and then said coach gets stolen away. You teach your guys a system and then leave for a better job leaving your old team screwed and changing systems again. If we sigh a OC to a 3 year contract and invest picks and money into getting him his guys then he needs to honer the contract he signed. He can get his promotion when his contract is done. This drives me crazy. Am I the only who feels this way?
You're right. There is no honer in this world.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I imagine you are the only one that claims to be a capitalist but doesn't want people in a highly specialized field to benefit from their capital.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
What about teams that fire coaches before their contracts are completed ?

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
We wouldn't want coaches to get better jobs or anything.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Double edged sword... Say his system works in year 1 of 3 but then a bunch of injuries to key players makes the system unworkable in years 2 and 3. HC job offer might have come at the end of year 1 but might not thereafter. That fair? Last I checked, are any of us bound to a must see it through contract for work? Can you not plop a notice down on your boss's table tomorrow and walk out? The best I've seen are, "non-compete" clauses when you take the time to train someone, and that usually applies to the area where your business is located.

And if what you are saying was actually in place, would your team be able to find the OC or HC it needs if all the OC's are bound to contracts? If a team fires an OC, is he off the hook or would the team that fires the OC still have rights to the OC if they continue to pay him? Would the team that fires the OC be duty bound to pay him after they fire him, since the contract is all locked up tighter than tight?

Forty-six

Liked Posts:
Let's say you're offered a job at a different company that is higher up the ladder and pays double, triple or 10 x as much as you're getting now. You'd be bailing on your current job the next day, no matter how important you are to your organization or how much love you've professed about your current company. This is the way of the world.

That's why it was surprising to see Ben Johnson stick with the Lions as their OC and ditch interviewing for HC positions. That almost never happens, especially if you're a hot canidate.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
Double edged sword... Say his system works in year 1 of 3 but then a bunch of injuries to key players makes the system unworkable in years 2 and 3. HC job offer might have come at the end of year 1 but might not thereafter. That fair? Last I checked, are any of us bound to a must see it through contract for work? Can you not plop a notice down on your boss's table tomorrow and walk out? The best I've seen are, "non-compete" clauses when you take the time to train someone, and that usually applies to the area where your business is located.

And if what you are saying was actually in place, would your team be able to find the OC or HC it needs if all the OC's are bound to contracts? If a team fires an OC, is he off the hook or would the team that fires the OC still have rights to the OC if they continue to pay him? Would the team that fires the OC be duty bound to pay him after they fire him, since the contract is all locked up tighter than tight?
How is it fair to teams that invest in that coaches system with players and scheme. Millions spent and draft capital used, then the coach leaves unexpected. Is that fair?

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
I imagine you are the only one that claims to be a capitalist but doesn't want people in a highly specialized field to benefit from their capital.
I only seen where i said they finish their contracts before moving on. The rest you made up.

msadows

Liked Posts:
The only way this would make sense is if you also forced teams to honor the same contract, taking away their ability to fire coaches.

Seems like a solution in search of a problem.

OP is dumb. This is like your current job saying fuck you guy, you're not allowed a promotion elsewhere, stay chained up in our cubicle.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The contract has a clause for advancement. Both sides honor it. Teams do have verbal agreements with hires about guaranteed stays to complete a hire and I've never heard of the hired coach breaking that.

I suppose a team could block a lateral hire for a disposed coordinator but why would they? They recover the salary (difference) for a guy they felt was insufficient.

As usual, much ado about nothing.