Make coaches fulfill their whole contracts.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
It happens every day in the business world??? No in fact it does not. If you sign a contract you are expected to fulfill it with major penalty's if you don't. If you sign a contract with the army you are there that amount of time. Players sign contracts can they leave for better pay next year? The guy you hired that left was not under a contract was he? I know of no business ever outside coaching that you can void a contract because something better came along. If you do please list it.
The coaches getting promotions to go elsewhere are not voiding their contracts. That movement is part of the contract.

Lateral moves are not allowed without the team's permission. Opponents cannot interview without permission from the team for whom the coach works, and a team can deny this if the move is not a promotion. They don't have to deny it, but they have that option.

This holds true for all moves within the NFL. Not sure when the coach leaves for a college job whether the team can prevent it.

Coaches leaving for other work outside of coaching, or retiring before the end of the contract, is still allowed as it is under any personal services contract in any line of work. A company can prevent an employee under contract from going to a competitor, but they cannot force them to work if they choose to retire or change vocations. It is not indentured servitude.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
One example? Reread. You know there was more then one. Headhunters don't even talk to those under a contract. Simple question and of coarse you gave no answer. Name a contract you can break because something better came along? Only coaching, I know of no other. Do you?
Walgreens, CVS, Walmart often give contracts with sign on bonuses for staying 5 years to pharmacists. If the contract is broken they just have to pay back the sign on bonus. Universities and states often use year to year contracts that can be broken with no repercussions. I think you'd be better off giving us an example of a contract between employee and employer that can't be broken.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
So this is about not letting people get better jobs?

If you were a paper boy when you were 10, that's it? A paper boy for the rest of your life?

That seems harsh.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I can’t believe someone is arguing to keep coaches under contract. Same league that rarely guarantees full contracts for their players.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
So this is about not letting people get better jobs?

If you were a paper boy when you were 10, that's it? A paper boy for the rest of your life?

That seems harsh.
No after my contract is fulfilled I would be free to upgrade.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
The coaches getting promotions to go elsewhere are not voiding their contracts. That movement is part of the contract.

All true. It is part of their contact. Now name another profession that allows you to leave a contract because you found something better?

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
I can’t believe someone is arguing to keep coaches under contract. Same league that rarely guarantees full contracts for their players.
I'm not arguing. It's off season football talk. I just find it strange.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
So no one, not one of you think this is bad and team killing? No one thinks that organizations that invest millions in a coach and then valuable draft picks to get him his players to run his system should expect or want a coach to fulfill his contract? OK then I asked, you answered.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
You seem to be of the mindset that all contracts outside of football are the same as one another, but different than the NFL.

You want me to "name an industry" where people can leave their jobs? I haven't read every employment contract on earth. Have you?

Most industries I know don't sign people to contracts that have a term of x number of years, with some sort of corporate free agency at the end. Quite the opposite. Employees are free to leave and in Employment at Will states, employers are free to terminate without cause.

It's true there are often Non-compete agreements, which limit the employee's options in terms of a new employer, but those are relevant a small % of the time.

For example, a CFO can easily find work with a new employer doing essentially the same work he/she was doing. The non-compete would apply only to the new employer's industry, which is rarely an issue. I can't think of a single example of an employer saying "You can't leave!" and forcing an employee to stay. That simply does not happen in the vast majority of industries.

An actor in the 1040's? Sure. An entertainer with a contract for a Vegas residency? Yeah.

Every industry? Ridiculous.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Walgreens, CVS, Walmart often give contracts with sign on bonuses for staying 5 years to pharmacists. If the contract is broken they just have to pay back the sign on bonus. Universities and states often use year to year contracts that can be broken with no repercussions. I think you'd be better off giving us an example of a contract between employee and employer that can't be broken.
He did!

The Army.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

TL1961

Liked Posts:
So no one, not one of you think this is bad and team killing? No one thinks that organizations that invest millions in a coach and then valuable draft picks to get him his players to run his system should expect or want a coach to fulfill his contract? OK then I asked, you answered.
Here's the reality you're ignoring: While head coaches get paid a very high salary, most assistants do not. (Top college jobs being a major exception.)

Many coaches start at ridiculously low salaries, with less than desirable duties. Jon Gruden described his job in Green Bay as "Piss Boy". They work years at low salaries waiting for that big chance to hit the lottery. Nick Saban was a linebackers coach for Cleveland. He wound up making millions per year at LSU and Alabama. In your world, he'd be shackled to an assistant coaching job. Why would any coach work for next to nothing in terms of salary if the upward movement possibility weren't there?

Actually, the prospect of "hitting the lottery" with the right promotion is exactly how teams save money by not paying higher salaries to assistants! You think they want to break that system that they built that is so favorable to them? You're failing to understand who benefits from the current sytem - NFL teams.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
You seem to be of the mindset that all contracts outside of football are the same as one another, but different than the NFL.

You want me to "name an industry" where people can leave their jobs? I haven't read every employment contract on earth. Have you?

Most industries I know don't sign people to contracts that have a term of x number of years, with some sort of corporate free agency at the end. Quite the opposite. Employees are free to leave and in Employment at Will states, employers are free to terminate without cause.

It's true there are often Non-compete agreements, which limit the employee's options in terms of a new employer, but those are relevant a small % of the time.

For example, a CFO can easily find work with a new employer doing essentially the same work he/she was doing. The non-compete would apply only to the new employer's industry, which is rarely an issue. I can't think of a single example of an employer saying "You can't leave!" and forcing an employee to stay. That simply does not happen in the vast majority of industries.

An actor in the 1040's? Sure. An entertainer with a contract for a Vegas residency? Yeah.

Every industry? Ridiculous.
The OP did not even consider one little point.

If a coach is not allowed to get a better job with better pay, chances are high that his effort will be negatively affected at his old job if he does not get a major pay raise immediately. Does anyone really want a malcontent as an employee?

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I can't think of a single example of an employer saying "You can't leave!" and forcing an employee to stay. That simply does not happen in the vast majority of industries.

An actor in the 1040's? Sure.
Well, people in 1040 were different. The only 'actor' I could find was Lady Godiva who rode a horse while naked through the streets to protest high taxes. She 'acted' on her beliefs that the people should not be taxed so highly. Even there, her husband, the Earl of Mercia, could not force her to stay (in the castle) when he said, "You can't leave!".

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
No. Life isn’t fair, even for organizations.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Well, people in 1040 were different. The only 'actor' I could find was Lady Godiva who rode a horse while naked through the streets to protest high taxes. She 'acted' on her beliefs that the people should not be taxed so highly. Even there, her husband, the Earl of Mercia, could not force her to stay (in the castle) when he said, "You can't leave!".
Oops.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
The OP did not even consider one little point.

If a coach is not allowed to get a better job with better pay, chances are high that his effort will be negatively affected at his old job if he does not get a major pay raise immediately. Does anyone really want a malcontent as an employee?
Why can't they get another job or upgrade? You can sign a new contract when the old one is fulfilled. And the coach that signs the contact probably read it and understands how contracts work. Why would he be negatively affected at all? that makes no sense to me.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
I sign a contact every year. I am held responsible to fulfill my contract. I've never heard of anyone not.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I sign a contact every year. I am held responsible to fulfill my contract. I've never heard of anyone not.
Well you get brownie points!!!!

I’ll be sure to place some on your kindergarten star chart. If you get 25 stars, you get a free pizza at Chuckie Cheeses!