Mashiro Tanaka Thread

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Figured this guy deserves his own thread because he should be at the top of the Cubs wishlist. Here is an article about why the Yankees should pursue him that gives some decent infomation. Doesn't name the Cubs as one of the teams likely to be after him.

http://nypost.com/2013/10/13/plenty-of-reasons-why-yankees-want-to-land-japanese-star/

As I said else where, I don't know why they wouldn't be in on him. They finished 2nd on Ryu and Darvish so clearly they were willing to go after international FAs and that was when they were cutting ~$40 mil in salary. They may not have a ridiculous amount of money to spend but it still should be more than those two years.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Cubs will be in on Tanaka and will be in the top. I don't know about the Yanks. To me, it'll be either Cano or Tanaka. And I say they'll re-sign Cano and will be their off-season. Member payroll going down, not up.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Cubs will be in on Tanaka and will be in the top. I don't know about the Yanks. To me, it'll be either Cano or Tanaka. And I say they'll re-sign Cano and will be their off-season. Member payroll going down, not up.

The article actually addresses that. If the current posting system remains in place it will actually help the Yankees. The posting fee doesn't count towards the luxury tax threshold. So the Yankees can spend 70 million on a posting fee and not one cent of it counts toward the 189 million threshold. And the Yankees then get to pay a potential top of the rotation starter 8 or 9 million a year that actually counts toward the 189 million. That said there are negotiations going on between MLB and NPB to change the blind posting system.

patg006

Liked Posts:
The article actually addresses that. If the current posting system remains in place it will actually help the Yankees. The posting fee doesn't count towards the luxury tax threshold. So the Yankees can spend 70 million on a posting fee and not one cent of it counts toward the 189 million threshold. And the Yankees then get to pay a potential top of the rotation starter 8 or 9 million a year that actually counts toward the 189 million. That said there are negotiations going on between MLB and NPB to change the blind posting system.

I actually agree with this.

I think they'll try and ink Cano early and not get it done, then watch him sit for a couple weeks, maybe a month; and eventually lock him up, but nowhere near his asking price.

They're losing Pettite, Kurouda (FA to be), Hughes (turd), and only have Nova and CC in the rotation. They will be players for SP, and I think Cashman is gonna steal Scott Baker on the cheap for his #5 starter.

This kid gives them a talent, and because Boston will probably be in on him too, Yanks now are in a race.

I see the cubs making a modest offer for posting, likely just to give the impression of 'well, we tried.' Then head to what they're really lookin forward to. Dumpster diving.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:

The Cubs should not get beat out by anyone including the Yankees. It isn't often, other than the draft, where you can get a top of the rotation starter without mortgaging the farm as they would have to do for someone like Price, and the Cubs need a top end guy to give them flexibility to trade Shark, keep him, or whatever.

It's time to start making huge strides with this ball club if they indeed intend to somewhat be competing in 2015. You just can't flip a magic switch with all of the prospects at one time. They better be coming up in droves to increase the chances of success because they are not all going to pan out. That is a fact.

Flacco4Prez

Liked Posts:
Not only do the Cubs have to outbid the Yankees but also the Redsox and Dodgers who are expected to be big players

Weird they don't refer to the Cubs as being interested in his services

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It makes sense for the Yank's to go after him.

On Friday it was reported that the Yankees are expected to be serious players for Japanese ace Masahiro Tanaka. While many teams figure to be in the mix, the New York Post's Joel Sherman offered up a look at why the Yankees, specifically, will be motivated to sign Tanaka. Here are some of the highlights from Sherman's latest work...

The Yankees want to re-energize their fanbase and generate interest in buying tickets again, and adding Tanaka would allow them to do so without shattering the luxury tax threshold, as the posting fee wouldn't go against that figure. Sherman spoke with multiple executives who told him that each team is set to receive about $25MM from national TV revenue, and the Yankees also received a good chunk of money when News Corp. bought 49 percent of the YES Network. As Sherman puts it: "The Yanks have a big pile of newfound money to use lavishly for a posting bid."
Sherman also lists the Red Sox, Rangers, Giants, Diamondbacks and Blue Jays as suitors for Tanaka.
The Yankees may be extra-motivated to sign Tanaka due to the fact that many within the organization believe Hiroki Kuroda is leaning toward returning to Japan to finish his career.
So in view of this info they are poised to spend.

In an appearance on ESPN Radio's Ian Connor Show, Yankees GM Brian Cashman shot down the theory that he'd rather have the roughly $25MM that a suspension for Alex Rodriguez would net the team than have A-Rod take the field next season. Said Cashman: "It's not like, all right, we'll take that money and go in this direction. I think ... our fan base saw when we lost significant players at various positions, it was not easy to plug holes because the talent just doesn't exist."
In that same appearance, Cashman admitted that he thought the Cubs had a real chance to steal manager Joe Girardi from the Yankees before the skipper signed a new four-year deal last week. He also said he has no gut feeling as to whether or not the team can retain Robinson Cano to this point.

I believe they lose Cano

Curtis Granderson will likely receive a qualifying offer from the Yankees and there's a strong possibility he would take it because he could post his biggest numbers at Yankee Stadium.

Makes sense that he takes the qualifying offer.

I believe that they will get stuck one way or the other with the A-Rod drama and they can not match Cano's offers. They will reinvest into Tanaka because they will have a bunch of new found cash to spend on a qualifying offer that does not count against ;ux tax.

I would pin them as the fav's.

Now as far as the Cubs go....tough call here. There will be some quality top of the rotation arms up for trade or ex-ones like J.J. or Lincium out there.

The Red Sox will likely trade one of their veteran starters to make room for their young arms. Cafardo suggests Jon Lester and Jake Peavy could be available while Ryan Dempster, John Lackey, and Felix Doubront are also vulnerable.

I expect a busy off season but I would not subtract at this point if I am Theo.

I would get involved with talks with Cano, Tanaka and Price but not get serious unless it is with in reason. (no 300 mil is not reasonable)

If A.A. doesn't give J.J. a qualifying offer I'd look into him.

Flacco4Prez

Liked Posts:
I feel like this is going to be a huge offseason with trade rumors. A lot of big names reportedly on the market in Scherzer, Price, Kemp, and more to come I'm sure. The Yankees are going to need to make a huge splash. They missed the playoffs this year and they are going to lose more over the offseason than possibly any other team in baseball. They are going to lose Rivera and Pettite for sure. They are going to lose A-Rod for at least a portion of the season, and they are probably going to lose 1 if not both of Granderson or Cano. That's a lot of production to replace. Is Kuroda coming back? They need to make a move to keep fans interested which is why Girardi was so huge for them to keep.

Derkach77

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We need an ace and this guy is one. Him shark and wood will be very nice. Edwin should bounce back to. With Tanaka I see us having a real nice rotation. If we call up a couple guys like Baez we will be a pretty complete team with our bullpen being the only main issue.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
If the Cubs sign Tanaka, Dabs get to choose my sig picture and avatar until opening day =)

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Give ya a prediction:

With Kennedy, Stults, Cashner, Ross, and Richard, the Padres have an entire rotation eligible for arbitration. After undergoing shoulder surgery in mid-July, expect Richard to be non-tendered, even without a raise in the cards. It's possible the Padres could look to bring him back on a much cheaper deal. The other four are secure, with newly-acquired workhorse Kennedy projecting for the largest salary. As a Boras Corporation client coming off a 4.91 ERA season, I don't expect him to sign an extension. Ross, acquired from the Athletics a year ago, posted a sparkling 3.06 ERA in 16 starts but may not have done enough in his career to justify an extension.

Clayton Richardson gets cut and Jed Swoops in and signs him to replace Rusin

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
The reports on Tanaka vary as you would expect with a Japanese import. Most have him behind Darvish in terms of stuff, but the possibility for the stuff playing up a bit due to his command. I think a good 2 is what most have him pegged as a ceiling. I really don't think you are getting an ace with Tanaka, but a guy that could be anywhere from a 2-4 in his peak.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
The reports on Tanaka vary as you would expect with a Japanese import. Most have him behind Darvish in terms of stuff, but the possibility for the stuff playing up a bit due to his command. I think a good 2 is what most have him pegged as a ceiling. I really don't think you are getting an ace with Tanaka, but a guy that could be anywhere from a 2-4 in his peak.

So....he's the japanese version of Samardzija?

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
So....he's the japanese version of Samardzija?

Possibly, he has drawn rave reviews for his split, but he doesn't have the gas that Shark has. His command is likely better though, but again that is hard to say when facing AAAA competition.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Possibly, he has drawn rave reviews for his split, but he doesn't have the gas that Shark has. His command is likely better though, but again that is hard to say when facing AAAA competition.

Right.
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for bringing him in, and though I feel like i have a better grasp on salary cap issues than a lot of people, until the posting fees count against anything, I could care less how much it costs to negotiate with him. I'd love to bring him in.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Right.
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for bringing him in, and though I feel like i have a better grasp on salary cap issues than a lot of people, until the posting fees count against anything, I could care less how much it costs to negotiate with him. I'd love to bring him in.

Well there are no issues for the Cubs in terms of salary cap, luxury tax threshold, or whatever you want to call it. The Cubs will be no where close to that number next year even if you add the posting fee. The issue is that if the old system remains in place it will make it easier for the Yankees to pursue him. If there is a change to a non-blind bidding system that has been suggested as negotiations continue to between MLB and NPB then it might take the Yankees out as the total cost remains similar but the money shifts from the posting fee to the annual salary which does count against luxury tax.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
As I said else where, I don't know why they wouldn't be in on him. They finished 2nd on Ryu and Darvish so clearly they were willing to go after international FAs and that was when they were cutting ~$40 mil in salary. They may not have a ridiculous amount of money to spend but it still should be more than those two years.

Is it on accident that they finished 2nd on Ryu, Darvish, Cespedes,??? I think not. Cubs just wanted to make fans think they actually tried when clearly they had no intentions of getting them and having payroll go up. All that matters to Cubs is keepin payroll down so Ricketts can get out of debt cause he bought something he couldnt afford

When Cubs finish 2nd again on Tanaka you guys will say they did there best but i will know real reason

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I want Tanaka, but from some things said in the media. I would be shocked if the Cubs actually come close to getting his rights. I think Ricketts has no intentions of getting in a bidding war with the Yanks or other teams.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I want Tanaka, but from some things said in the media. I would be shocked if the Cubs actually come close to getting his rights. I think Ricketts has no intentions of getting in a bidding war with the Yanks or other teams.

Ricketts has no intentions of spending a dime if he dont get back $1 from spending that dime