Mashiro Tanaka Thread

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Every team in baseball seems to be able to net and develop an Ace in their organization. Are the Cubs unable to do this?

Johnson could become a top of the rotation. If he does then it makes the A-Ram arb offer worth it. Edwards looks solid but he has been a 5 inning pitcher and doesn't have the body type to fill out. He maybe the better of the two but his body frame could land him a closer role in the end.

They just have to keep drafting quantity arms eventually the odds will go their way.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Johnson could become a top of the rotation. If he does then it makes the A-Ram arb offer worth it. Edwards looks solid but he has been a 5 inning pitcher and doesn't have the body type to fill out. He maybe the better of the two but his body frame could land him a closer role in the end.

They just have to keep drafting quantity arms eventually the odds will go their way.

Also, by staff, I meant the scouting and developing department. Not the current players.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/tex...md=20131023&content_id=63256452&vkey=news_tex

I read that another young Japanese pitcher was planning on coming to the U.S.through the posting system and that he was the next Darvish. Do you think the Rangers would be interested in bidding for him? I think if he is like Darvish, he would be well worth it.
-- Mary W., McKinney, Texas

The Rangers have done their homework and scouting on Masahiro Tanaka. They may put in a posting bid, but they don't have the same high opinion of him as they did with Darvish.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/tex...md=20131023&content_id=63256452&vkey=news_tex

I read that another young Japanese pitcher was planning on coming to the U.S.through the posting system and that he was the next Darvish. Do you think the Rangers would be interested in bidding for him? I think if he is like Darvish, he would be well worth it.
-- Mary W., McKinney, Texas

The Rangers have done their homework and scouting on Masahiro Tanaka. They may put in a posting bid, but they don't have the same high opinion of him as they did with Darvish.

Just about everyone has said that Tanaka is not Darvish. His command might make the stuff play up a bit, but he doesn't have true ace stuff.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Just about everyone has said that Tanaka is not Darvish. His command might make the stuff play up a bit, but he doesn't have true ace stuff.

I agree with that. It made me question if it was smart to dump 50 mil to fight for his rights though. Cubs need an ace that matches up with other aces. They have had plenty of #2 pitchers.

To me this is more of a question if Shark is an ace or not. We know Wood is a 2 or a 3 4 on a contender. Jackson is a 4. I believe the law of avg. will put him back up at .500 again. Baker #3-4. Arreta 4-5 but has the ability to be a 2-3 starter.

Even Garza was a 2 and he was the best they had. If money was a major concern with extending Garza doesn't it make sense that it will also be a concern with Tanaka? They are also playing gun shy with Sharks demands. Every clue points to acquiring another bargain bin.

That is why I posted Scott Kazmier. I believe they need another LH starter with strike out stuff. He will walk his share but they need another lefty to split up the righties.

Basically they need an upgrade to Rusin. Another one would be Clayton Richardson. He was under Jed before so I can see the Cubs and the Pads making a deal so the Pads don't have to pay his Arb case or lose him for nothing. Wouldn't be surprised if they did this.

Tanaka is pretty much a pipe dream.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree with that. It made me question if it was smart to dump 50 mil to fight for his rights though. Cubs need an ace that matches up with other aces. They have had plenty of #2 pitchers.

To me this is more of a question if Shark is an ace or not. We know Wood is a 2 or a 3 4 on a contender. Jackson is a 4. I believe the law of avg. will put him back up at .500 again. Baker #3-4. Arreta 4-5 but has the ability to be a 2-3 starter.

Even Garza was a 2 and he was the best they had. If money was a major concern with extending Garza doesn't it make sense that it will also be a concern with Tanaka? They are also playing gun shy with Sharks demands. Every clue points to acquiring another bargain bin.

That is why I posted Scott Kazmier. I believe they need another LH starter with strike out stuff. He will walk his share but they need another lefty to split up the righties.

Basically they need an upgrade to Rusin. Another one would be Clayton Richardson. He was under Jed before so I can see the Cubs and the Pads making a deal so the Pads don't have to pay his Arb case or lose him for nothing. Wouldn't be surprised if they did this.

Tanaka is pretty much a pipe dream.

I don't think we know that Travis Wood is a 2. He had one really amazing year but all signs point to a lot of regression for next year.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I don't think we know that Travis Wood is a 2. He had one really amazing year but all signs point to a lot of regression for next year.

Could be with Dale gone. They had a good game plan with pitching to hitter weakness and setting up the D for it. He pitches to contact.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Could be with Dale gone. They had a good game plan with pitching to hitter weakness and setting up the D for it. He pitches to contact.

His low home run rate for him and walks is what made him this year. I have to see it again to believe it

CSF77

Liked Posts:
GB%: 33.2% Career: 32.8%
FB%: 44.5% Career: 45.2%
SO%: 17.5% Career: 18.1%
BB%: 8% Career: 7.9%

His numbers were not off from his career avg. The only thing that makes sense is they were hitting at the D. Which ties to Dale and his shifts.

FIP: 3.89 career: 4.10. That is a major change and that would point to hitters hitting into shifts and Travis hitting his location.

I'm not so sure that he is going to drop off with his production. It has been pretty constant. If anything if it gets worse it would fall on the D behind him. I honestly believe Travis just pitched to location and Dale set up the D where the pitch would most likely be hit. Every hitter has a hole in their swing and Travis was attacking it.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
be nice if the redsox dont pick up Jon lester option and he could be available for the cubs to try and sign.

with samardzija, jackson, wood, and arrieta pretty much set in the rotation.. theres only need for them to go after one starter for their rotation..

scott baker may only come back if he guaranteed to start the year up north, im sure there will be other teams willing to give him that opportunity as their no. 4 or 5 starter..

as their establishing their positional starters, i dont see them going after a big name starter this off season. besides maybe taking a serious shot at Tanaka, they will look to add a veteran starter on a short deal

i see them basically using this season to get a read on what they have in samardzija and wood to see if their worth extending..
and see if jake arrieta can establish himself as a starter going forward.

i think edwin jackson will be traded at the deadline if he can show anything positive the first half and could help a contending team next year.

chris rusin will be back in IOWA as part of their depth, and im sure like last year they will look to add an arm or two for depth purposes only..

i personally feel this year their going the route of establishing their positional players first, seeing what they have pitching wise with the guys they already have ( samardzija, wood, and arrieta ) in the rotation and seeing who from their system ( hendricks, edwards, rhee, cabrera, vizcaino ) will be part of their rotation going forward.. their going to give these guys an opportunity to fill out their future rotation before they look to bring in that true no.1 starter for big money.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
i personally feel this year their going the route of establishing their positional players first, seeing what they have pitching wise with the guys they already have ( samardzija, wood, and arrieta ) in the rotation and seeing who from their system ( hendricks, edwards, rhee, cabrera, vizcaino ) will be part of their rotation going forward.. their going to give these guys an opportunity to fill out their future rotation before they look to bring in that true no.1 starter for big money.

They need 1 starter but from what they have Edwards will be the top ranked pitcher with Johnson #2. Vizcaino may drop out of the top 20 if he can not prove he can bounce back. Hendricks has to pitch like that in the majors to justify any consideration. Rhee is under rule V and I doubt they protect him.

Max Rameriz and Hendricks should be at Iowa next year with Ralley. I can see Rusin retained for depth. I'll agree with that part but I concider all of them just depth.

The talent starts and ends with Edwards and Johnson. Last year's draft class of pitchers had some interesting arms come over and it will be interesting to see who emerges out of it. But those two should be at Tenn next year.

Another one should be Eric Jokisch 11-13 3.42 160 IP 54 BB 137 SO 1.23 WHIP. He has a chance of bumping Rusin out.

I believe Rusin's big opportunity came at the end of the year and he pitched a few good games but it was his IP per start that killed him (5.1). This might end up being it for him.

Carlos Villanueva splits:

SP: 1-7 4.50 1.26 WHIP
RP: 6-1 3.03 1.14 WHIP.

About sums it up.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Carlos Villanueva splits:

SP: 1-7 4.50 1.26 WHIP
RP: 6-1 3.03 1.14 WHIP.

i think the bullpen will actually turn out pretty good this year depending on who they add as a closer...

i like villanueva as their spot starter/long reliever..

then they have russelll, parker, strop, grimm, along with rondon, fujikawa, and dolis to choose from to fill out the pen..

i dont know if they make strop the closer out of the gate, maybe they look for another kevin Gregg type veteran that they can sign to a 1 or 2 yr deal and possibly flip in July if or when strop is ready to take over..

other then that closer, i dont see them signing any other FA reliever

CSF77

Liked Posts:
With those splits I'd want to keep Carlos in the pen. Emergency starter I'd give to Grimm. If a starter goes DL then use a AAA starter to back fill vs disrupt the pen.

Carlos is a good pitcher in situations where you need 2-3 innings. They should keep the 7-8-9 inning more so power arms.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
David Waldstein ‏@DavidWaldstein 7h

Wow, 176 pitches in 2 days! 1 day after throwing 160 pitches Masahiro Tanaka threw 16 more to close out Game 7 which Rakuten won 3-0. uh oh.

A scout in Japan told me there is now some concern about Tanaka's arm, not bcz they saw anything wrong, but bcz of the sheer work load.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

Wow, 176 pitches in 2 days! 1 day after throwing 160 pitches Masahiro Tanaka threw 16 more to close out Game 7 which Rakuten won 3-0. uh oh.

A scout in Japan told me there is now some concern about Tanaka's arm, not bcz they saw anything wrong, but bcz of the sheer work load.

I'm not sure I buy these type of concerns honestly because injuries are too hard to predict. Maybe down the line in say 6-7 years it becomes a concern but I don't think it's a case of something you should worry about in the first contract he gets. Obviously he could just have something go bad in his elbow but if it's not there yet which you'd assume they can check out medically first then I think you go for it.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Not concerned but even so I do not believe the Cubs are going to pony up enough to compete with the LAD and NYY's here. Both teams should be all in with him. Both teams have the resource to put up a bid over 50 mil and both teams will be restricted by the 189 mil lux tax and Tanaka becomes a nice loop hole.

If I had to guess right now it would be the Yanks getting him. They need a legit #2 behind CC. Garza will cost more against cap which affects their ability to resign Cano.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Im not really sure how he was used for years, but if it was like this its a concern. I know a lot of people trace back Kerry Wood's problem to throwing a 190 something pitches like 2 days before the draft for his HS team. If you have bad mechanics and throw a ton a pitches. Its a ticking time bomb before something gives out. Im not saying Tanaka is there, but Im sure ML teams know about this and probably have a little concern.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Not concerned but even so I do not believe the Cubs are going to pony up enough to compete with the LAD and NYY's here. Both teams should be all in with him. Both teams have the resource to put up a bid over 50 mil and both teams will be restricted by the 189 mil lux tax and Tanaka becomes a nice loop hole.

If I had to guess right now it would be the Yanks getting him. They need a legit #2 behind CC. Garza will cost more against cap which affects their ability to resign Cano.

If the Dodgers want him, they'll post $65M+. Money isn't an concern.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
If the Dodgers want him, they'll post $65M+. Money isn't an concern.

I'll make a bet that it goes over 75 mil. Teams knowing that the Yanks have a need and are gunning the numbers are going to get outrageous. Add into it every team will have 25 mil to toss into the mix. I would say 75 mil is the floor to get into the bid. There is nothing that leads me to believe the Rickett's will grow those kinds of nuts.