Matt Garza Traded To The Cubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Keith Law ESPN Insider content.

I am not saying he knows everything, but at least one person, who gets paid to share his opinions, agrees with what I said.

Nothing is wrong with the Cubs according to CO.

Biggest homer in this Cubs forum.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
"•ESPN's Keith Law (Insider subscription required) loves the trade for the Rays: "they got more for Garza than Kansas City did for Zack Greinke although their package of players is, collectively, further away than what the Royals got." Law had Hak-Ju Lee ranked as the top prospect in Chicago's system and calls the 20-year-old shortstop "the star of the deal" for Tampa Bay.
•The trade is a "slight overpay" for the Cubs, writes Fangraphs' Joe Pawlikowski, but overall he likes the deal. Pawlikowski also cites concerns about how Garza will fare at Wrigley Field given Garza's propensity for giving up fly balls.
•Kevin Kaduk of Yahoo Sports has no problem with the trade itself, but calls Garza just a "Band-Aid" on the Cubs' problems since he doesn't think Chicago is close to contending"

mlbtr on fangraphs, keith law etc

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I know. He hates spects and thinks money should be spent on old aging players.

I dont hate them. I think peope OVERATE them. Garza is old aging? HELL NO. He only 27 and still has 8-10 good years left in him. I dont want to trade prospects for 33 y/o but i do for 25-28 that are proven.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was pointing that more at daddies than at you.

I never said we got ACE...i think he very good number 2 in NL. Only being 27 he could turn into ACE in NL. Going from ALE to NLC is going to be huge for him.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Chicago Cubs trade for Matt Garza was their best move for quick improvement - ESPN Chicago

This guy thinks it smart to trade specs for PROVEN PLAYERS...Hendry thinks its smart. XM radio host Duquette thinks its smart. There are different opinions out there. People need to stop bashing me cause i think prospects for big market teams are meant to be traded. Big Market Teams build a farm to trade them for Proven guys. Small Market teams get prospects cause they are cheap for there team. Once a prospect blossums then Big Market (like Cubs) give up prospects for the proven player cause they can afford to pay them. If i followed a small market team then yes my opinion would be different but since i follow a team that is the 3rd largest city in America i expect them to trade for Proven talent to help them win NOW. Cubs should never have to rebuild by going cheap. They are doing rebuilding now while trying to compete. Thats what big market teams do. I dont think this trade makes the Cubs to be the favorites in NLC now. I do think it improves them now where they will compete. If they can get some surprises and lineup can improve i do think they can win this. Having Demp,Garza,Z,Wells, and who ever 5th spot makes it where Cubs can match teams every day. I think with backend of bullpen with Marmol,Wood,Marshall could be one of best in NL. I truly believe if the offense shows up at all they will contend for division or wildcard. Last year Cubs had the worst win % of any team with qualitity starts. I dont see that happening again. I dont see the Cubs having horrible record in 1 run games this year either. So yes with adding Garza i have hope. Day before we got Garza i didnt have much hope.

Last edited:

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
I dont hate them. I think peope OVERATE them. Garza is old aging? HELL NO. He only 27 and still has 8-10 good years left in him. I dont want to trade prospects for 33 y/o but i do for 25-28 that are proven.

The old aging part had nothing to do with Garza. It was a reply to USC's second part of his post.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Chicago Cubs trade for Matt Garza was their best move for quick improvement - ESPN Chicago

This guy thinks it smart to trade specs for PROVEN PLAYERS...Hendry thinks its smart. XM radio host Duquette thinks its smart. There are different opinions out there. People need to stop bashing me cause i think prospects for big market teams are meant to be traded. Big Market Teams build a farm to trade them for Proven guys. Small Market teams get prospects cause they are cheap for there team. Once a prospect blossums then Big Market (like Cubs) give up prospects for the proven player cause they can afford to pay them. If i followed a small market team then yes my opinion would be different but since i follow a team that is the 3rd largest city in America i expect them to trade for Proven talent to help them win NOW. Cubs should never have to rebuild by going cheap. They are doing rebuilding now while trying to compete. Thats what big market teams do. I dont think this trade makes the Cubs to be the favorites in NLC now. I do think it improves them now where they will compete. If they can get some surprises and lineup can improve i do think they can win this. Having Demp,Garza,Z,Wells, and who ever 5th spot makes it where Cubs can match teams every day. I think with backend of bullpen with Marmol,Wood,Marshall could be one of best in NL. I truly believe if the offense shows up at all they will contend for division or wildcard. Last year Cubs had the worst win % of any team with qualitity starts. I dont see that happening again. I dont see the Cubs having horrible record in 1 run games this year either. So yes with adding Garza i have hope. Day before we got Garza i didnt have much hope.

It's not that you should never trade prospects, but you should only do it when actually ready to compete. Cubs aren't quite there yet.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's not that you should never trade prospects, but you should only do it when actually ready to compete. Cubs aren't quite there yet.

Hendry and i both believe with Garza they can compete. Garza just not a 1 year rental. Cubs can build around him in the next 3 years. If they like what he does then sign him to extension. Cubs have other SP in minors to replace Acher. Castro younger and proven over Lee, Guyer and Chrinos had no spot on team. SO they traded strength in there system.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
You don't build around a player like Garza, you build around Castro, Colvin, and Cashner. ;)

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
A good piece when Ricky Nolasco, who is a year older than him, already has double digit wins in 4 of his first 5 seasons. ;)

That means he could pitch like shit and have a crazy offense that can bail him out too.
:bowrofl:

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
IK Garza is a piece. But he isn't the centerpiece of the Cubs rebuilding efforts, so you don't build around him, you build your pitching around Cashner, your outfield around Jackson, your power around Colvin, and your team around Castro.

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Jesus christ dude, I can't even read this.
5.gif

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
IK Garza is a piece. But he isn't the centerpiece of the Cubs rebuilding efforts, so you don't build around him, you build your pitching around Cashner, your outfield around Jackson, your power around Colvin, and your team around Castro.

We dont know if Cashner is someone you build around. Guy had 4.80 ERA in pen last year. Cubs dont even know if this guy will be a SP or RP yet. Garza has proven to be really good MLB SP. Colvin is another guy Cubs dont know what they getting. Could be 265 with 25 HR guy or 240 with 20 HR guy. Colvin a nice piece but not build around type player. SP is what wins and Garza being part of that is a good thing.

bobferg

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

If that is all the Cubs have to build around then it is a sad future for them.

Power around Colvin? Meh

Team around Castro? Young dude needs to try to be a leader before you build a team around him.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
JH used his chips to land garza, I am not saying that he should keep spects and build from within 100%, what i am saying is, keep the spects as chips for deals, GOOD deals, not blow a load on matt garza.

if by some chance garza has a great year this year, look for a heavy raise in arb in 2012. you can potentially be paying alot of dough for him and or not wanting to pay not offering arb.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

You don't build around a guy that has like 60 IP. You don't build anything around Colvin. He is a 4th OFer.

JH used his chips to land garza, I am not saying that he should keep spects and build from within 100%, what i am saying is, keep the spects as chips for deals, GOOD deals, not blow a load on matt garza.

if by some chance garza has a great year this year, look for a heavy raise in arb in 2012. you can potentially be paying alot of dough for him and or not wanting to pay not offering arb.

I see what you are saying, but I like what JH did. He sold high on prospects. He sold high on VERY questionable prospects. Another thing to look at is what else could the Cubs have gotten? There are no other pitchers of Garza's caliber out there. We probably could have gotten Grienke, but I feel like he would have a mental blow up with the media and everything. I'm also wondering if we are going to lock him up to a long term deal this year. I think that would be the best option, get him while his stock is low.

Status
Not open for further replies.