Matt Garza Traded To The Cubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You don't build around a guy that has like 60 IP. You don't build anything around Colvin. He is a 4th OFer.

I see what you are saying, but I like what JH did. He sold high on prospects. He sold high on VERY questionable prospects. Another thing to look at is what else could the Cubs have gotten? There are no other pitchers of Garza's caliber out there. We probably could have gotten Grienke, but I feel like he would have a mental blow up with the media and everything. I'm also wondering if we are going to lock him up to a long term deal this year. I think that would be the best option, get him while his stock is low.

WTF.. hell is freezing over I agree with you.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is something else that I find interesting. On ESPN Insider, which I don't have, but I read it on PSD, Olney interviewed the 5 execs outside of the Rays and Cubs organizations. They viewed our minor league system as one in the lower third tier. They all agree with what I said that this deal is no where near the Grienke deal. I LOVE to hear that. I'm starting to like this deal a hell of a lot more. But, it still comes down to who the 3rd player coming back is.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Trade official:

The 3rd player the Cubs get is, LHP Zachary Rosscup. His stats look go so far but was only in A at 22. Right now, I think the Cubs lost.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Trade official:

The 3rd player the Cubs get is, LHP Zachary Rosscup. His stats look go so far but was only in A at 22. Right now, I think the Cubs lost.

You cant judge this trade for while.... Everyone thought Archer was not good then he went to be top spec for cubs. Now maybe Rosscup becomes top spec in couple of years.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes. Colvin is going to have a hard time putting up those power numbers again.

That is something that no one can predict. He may flop, yes. He may also be great. You can use formulas all you want to predict his future, the fact is the season hasnt been started or played through. It is all a guessing game.

I see what you are saying, but I like what JH did. He sold high on prospects. He sold high on VERY questionable prospects. Another thing to look at is what else could the Cubs have gotten? There are no other pitchers of Garza's caliber out there. We probably could have gotten Grienke, but I feel like he would have a mental blow up with the media and everything. I'm also wondering if we are going to lock him up to a long term deal this year. I think that would be the best option, get him while his stock is low.

That is how most deals are done by every GM. They all sell high. They all overrate their talent.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
You cant judge this trade for while.... Everyone thought Archer was not good then he went to be top spec for cubs. Now maybe Rosscup becomes top spec in couple of years.

That's why I said right now, who knows maybe Perez will stay healthy and be a good 4th OF with speed. And maybe that pitcher can have a jump from A to AA and do better than Archer. I think the P will start at AA and a Archer in work could happen.

Also I like the P because he's a lefty and the Cubs have like 0 in their minors, at least promising ones.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
As you can see, JH changed styles since 2 years ago. Do you know what?

bobferg

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That's why I said right now, who knows maybe Perez will stay healthy and be a good 4th OF with speed. And maybe that pitcher can have a jump from A to AA and do better than Archer. I think the P will start at AA and a Archer in work could happen.

Also I like the P because he's a lefty and the Cubs have like 0 in their minors, at least promising ones.

The PTBNL pitcher, who split time between the rookie league and low A is going to jump right to AA? I would say doubtful.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
The PTBNL pitcher, who split time between the rookie league and low A is going to jump right to AA? I would say doubtful.

You never know. The Cubs lost players from AA. Perez will start in AAA if he does not make team.

Archer was in AA
Guyer was in AA
Chrinos was in AA and AAA
Lee was expected to start in AA
Fuld was in AAA (Perez would take spot if not on team)

It all depends...

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Yes. Colvin is going to have a hard time putting up those power numbers again.

That's a big assumption.

Colvin missed the end of the season and was a bench player for months, so you only got a bit more than half a season as a starter from him and he still managed 20 homers.

Status
Not open for further replies.