Matt Nagy: Bears, including self, didn't handle success in 2018

Brownie

Liked Posts:

"“When we went 12-4 and won the NFC North, man, it was rockin’.” Nagy said. “It was awesome. Our players believed in what we were doing, and we won games because they believed in each other. Going into 2019, there were these expectations from everybody, from the league, from the city, from our own players, and I think we didn’t handle that real well, including myself. And we didn’t play as well. We went 8-8 and didn’t make the playoffs. So that taught us, and taught me is, ok listen, you go from a team that is always hunting to now being the hunted. We realized that after 2019."

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Nagy is the head coach and he is responsible for every phase of the game, yet he does not seem to be involved in the Defense or Special Teams.

We have never heard him come out and say, I need to be more involved in coaching the whole team. And that is where I think Nagy has failed...

He hired coordinators to run those other two phases, but he has only for a short time allowed his OC to run the show.

He needs to be aware of the entire team and maybe he would see that the Defense is starting to wear down because they have been on the field too long. Or that the STs is getting great field position if you get pass the 25 yard line. Or that the run game is 1/2 a block away from breaking out a big play.

He has his nose too far in his playbook to manage the entire team.

I don't think he is going to be successful long term until he realizes that he must be more than the OC.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
i don’t think it’s lip service, i think the team just wasn’t that good last season, especially the premier positions like QB, OL, pass rush, etc

yeah but I mean weren’t those largely the same players from the year prior, as well as again the year prior to that one?

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
You could tell post 2018 that they liked the stink of their own shit. Completely bought their own hype. Club dub 12 times in a season would fool you into thinking you actually won something.

I hope that lovely culture they talk about so much has matured and they don't spend their free time fighting with fans and media on Twitter because they cant handle criticism.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's good to be self-aware. One question that remains for me is how much self-awareness does Nagy own up to? As an offensive-minded coach, it should be telling to him that part of the reason for the Bears turn-around last season was him giving up play-calling duties. Being a great play-designer is not the same as being aware enough of your own roster limitations and related game situations to know what play is needed. I still go back to a quote he made in 2019 that was something along the lines of, "We're not going to line-up in the I-formation, that's for sure!" It struck me as arrogant. As a coach, if you have the personnel to line up in the I-formation and pound the rock, then you damned-well better.

As part of the season evaluation of each position on the roster, I sure hope that included, "Damn that was an awful call on my part there." That's an important part of growth and he needs to remember it, because 2021 is going to look a lot like 2018.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Yeah with this team I'm really worried about them having too much success and not knowing what to do with it....

giphy.gif

Brownie

Liked Posts:
Nagy is the head coach and he is responsible for every phase of the game, yet he does not seem to be involved in the Defense or Special Teams.

We have never heard him come out and say, I need to be more involved in coaching the whole team. And that is where I think Nagy has failed...

He hired coordinators to run those other two phases, but he has only for a short time allowed his OC to run the show.

He needs to be aware of the entire team and maybe he would see that the Defense is starting to wear down because they have been on the field too long. Or that the STs is getting great field position if you get pass the 25 yard line. Or that the run game is 1/2 a block away from breaking out a big play.

I don't think he is going to be successful long term until he realizes that he must be more than the OC.
Agree 1000%

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah with this team I'm really worried about them having too much success and not knowing what to do with it....

giphy.gif
I would love love love to play the Eagles this year.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I would love love love to play the Eagles this year.
So would I. I always like those games. You guys teach me so much about the Bears and I know the Eagles fairly well. It's kinda like watching a chess match, which one team ends up fucking everything up.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:

Doesn’t help at all when you’re a shitty OC too

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
yeah but I mean weren’t those largely the same players from the year prior, as well as again the year prior to that one?
in name only, Mack has not been the same since 2018

Mitch was worse in 2019 and 2020 compared to 2018

Leno and really the entire offensive line was better in 2018

TEs have had a huge drop off since 2018, with the exception of in the RZ last season

Some of that is on the coaching, but i would argue most of it is on injury and poor roster management

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Doesn’t help at all when you’re a shitty OC too
we will see if that's true this season, he justifiably has had 0 faith in his QBs since 2019. Love him or hate him he did change the offense for who was under center last season, but you can't coach a QB to hit wide open receivers or process information quicker

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
in name only, Mack has not been the same since 2018

Mitch was worse in 2019 and 2020 compared to 2018

Leno and really the entire offensive line was better in 2018

TEs have had a huge drop off since 2018, with the exception of in the RZ last season

Some of that is on the coaching, but i would argue most of it is on injury and poor roster management
Surely the transition from Fangio -> Pagano had nothing to do with it.. Someone should do a thread about it ?

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
we will see if that's true this season, he justifiably has had 0 faith in his QBs since 2019. Love him or hate him he did change the offense for who was under center last season, but you can't coach a QB to hit wide open receivers or process information quicker
Doesn’t change the fact the run game instantly got worse the second he arrived, terrible game management, and looney play calls…all things that you can’t point/blame the QB. Let’s not forget the narrative was Mitch sucked and Foles was going to be able to run the brilliant offense. Nagy benches Mitch and the offense and foles never looked worse.

people can wait and see all they want not sure what they think they’re going to learn. Nagy is completely in over his head and completely unadaptable and stubborn to a fault. Also delusional. The offense SHOULD look better but does anyone have confidence Nagy will maximize the personnel and squeeze every last drop of opportunity on offense? It’s a certainty that won’t happen because he’s a below average OC

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Doesn’t change the fact the run game instantly got worse the second he arrived, terrible game management, and looney play calls…all things that you can’t point/blame the QB. Let’s not forget the narrative was Mitch sucked and Foles was going to be able to run the brilliant offense. Nagy benches Mitch and the offense and foles never looked worse.

people can wait and see all they want not sure what they think they’re going to learn. Nagy is completely in over his head and completely unadaptable and stubborn to a fault. Also delusional. The offense SHOULD look better but does anyone have confidence Nagy will maximize the personnel and squeeze every last drop of opportunity on offense? It’s a certainty that won’t happen because he’s a below average OC
Yep.

2021 mantra: We have to fire Nagy before he ruins Fields.

I can hear it already.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Nagy's biggest fault was continually running the same plays that he called in Kansas City without the players from Kansas City. He had problems adjusting to his player's weaknesses.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
Yep.

2021 mantra: We have to fire Nagy before he ruins Fields.

I can hear it already.
I dont think fields will be ruined by Nagy because I think he has a different mentality than mitch did. I do think the offense overall can be better under someone else though.

Joe Brady is my guy after what he was able to help Joe burrow become