McShay knows....

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I don't think anyone was saying he should be put at FS though, he should be a SS in the NFL but he does have the speed to play FS. I'm not gonna try to predict where he should and will play in the NFL and again that's why we have a team of guys that do this for a living.

Well technically, Pickles mentioned it right before my comments. However, my point was not that someone suggested it. My point was if I am going to draft a S in the top 5 for the Bears, I would want a S that can be a FS. That is our biggest need at the S position IMO. We have a ton of guys that can probably be adequate to good at SS and even if we didn't, it's a bit easier to find a guy to play SS for a reasonable price in FA.

So I don't think Peppers is as big of a need for this team as a true FS would be. The biggest problem with our safeties right now is we've got like 5 SS types and 0 FS types.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
As to the OP, I see both Kizer and Trubisky going top 5.

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I made the post about Peppers because they were talking about QBs falling in this draft. If they could get Peppers and Watson, I would not be crying was all I said that started the Peppers firestorm.

Yeah and those two you named, wouldnt be bad at all imo....but apparently taken Peppers would be a end all...but taken White at 7 was apparently ok for many...i dont get it.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Probably not off the bat as he'd need to add 20-30 pounds of muscle. But depending on the scheme he could project as a WLB in a 4-3. Thomas Davis was a safety before they converted him to OLB midway through his rookie year.

But sure I presume more teams will view him as a SS.

Depends on how you run the defense cause you could play him the way Arizona plays D.Buchanon who came into the league as a safety and played his first couple of years at safety but they have moved him to LBer. Our biggest need at safety is at FS so if they sign a FS in free agency then i could see them drafting Peppers but i think that they think we have plenty of guys that can play SS so i really don't see a need there.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Yeah and those two you named, wouldnt be bad at all imo....but apparently taken Peppers would be a end all...but taken White at 7 was apparently ok for many...i dont get it.

K.White was projected as the #2 WR in the draft and easily a top 10 pick by pretty much every draft expert out there and some had him as the #1 WR in the draft over A.Cooper. He was drafted where he was supposed to be drafted.

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:
IMHO the smartest best most strategic pick the Bears can make in the first round is Jonathan Allen and Pace should try to move up to get him if he can like he did with Floyd. I aint saying he will do but that he should make his best effort and do whatever he possibly can to draft Jonathan Allen. Corners and safeties are easier to find than a 5 tech who can rush the passer like Allen. Put Allen on this defense and also add an FA corner and an FA safety like Berry or Tony Jefferson with Fangio as DC the Bears defense could become one of the most feared defenses in the NFL.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
IMHO the smartest best most strategic pick the Bears can make in the first round is Jonathan Allen and Pace should try to move up to get him if he can like he did with Floyd. I aint saying he will do but that he should make his best effort and do whatever he possibly can to draft Jonathan Allen. Corners and safeties are easier to find than a 5 tech who can rush the passer like Allen. Put Allen on this defense and also add an FA corner and an FA safety like Berry or Tony Jefferson with Fangio as DC the Bears defense could become one of the most feared defenses in the NFL.

I am warming up more and more to the idea of drafting Allen if we don't draft a QB. Our front 7 would be pretty formidable and we could certainly use FA to focus on filling out the secondary.

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:
I am warming up more and more to the idea of drafting Allen if we don't draft a QB. Our front 7 would be pretty formidable and we could certainly use FA to focus on filling out the secondary.

The front 7 would become very formidable. The safest bet for QB in this draft is Trubisky who is basically Jimmy G with over 2 years less of starting as a college QB and also minus Jimmy's 2 plus yrs in the pros. Kizer and Watson are high risk high reward picks which given the Bears QB history makes them even riskier. Every team has to take psnl risks to become an SB winner but i dont want them to risk a blue chip defender for a high risk high reward QB with what hopefully will be their highest draft pick in a long long time.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The front 7 would become very formidable. The safest bet for QB in this draft is Trubisky who is basically Jimmy G with over 2 years less of starting as a college QB and also minus Jimmy's 2 plus yrs in the pros. Kizer and Watson are high risk high reward picks which given the Bears QB history makes them even riskier. Every team has to take psnl risks to become an SB winner but i dont want them to risk a blue chip defender for a high risk high reward QB with what hopefully will be their highest draft pick in a long long time.

I probably differ in this regard. I think Watson is the safer pick. He has the arm talent, the scrambling ability, and a proven record of success. With Kizer and Trubisky, I think you have to project more. Kizer, it's the fact he's been pretty inconsistent and not much of a winner and with Trubisky, it's the limited playing time.

In any event, there is no guarantee that Allen or Garrett will be there when we pick but right now I would probably have it ranked, Watson, Garrett, Allen, Kizer, Trubisky if I were to put them in order of who I would draft if available.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Garoppolo had a weak deep ball and lower velocity in college. It looks better now but a better comparison to Trubisky is Carr who I also like a lot better than JG and anyone other than Bortles in that draft. Bortles was more potential that 'most likely' would develop but Carr was the most ready.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

this makes no sense......why is Trubisky a lower risk vs. Kizer and Watson

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

I think we all would love if we were able to draft J.Allen but we all know that he'll be gone in the top 3 most likely and it's looking like we''l be picking around #4 unless Jax wins another game or two which most likely isn't happening and we have so many needs i'm not sure moving up in the 1st round is the best idea unless we find a way to not give up to much to do it. We already don't have our 6th round pick but we do have a extra 4th.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
As to the OP, I see both Kizer and Trubisky going top 5.

Agreed, if it is not is it will be the Jets.

I can't really see any of the 3 QBs escaping the top 12 picks with like 6 needy teams.

Escobar's Army

Liked Posts:
If we are trading up Garrett is the only player I do that for. That being said I would love Allen or Garrett, either way out front 7 would be dominant.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think we all would love if we were able to draft J.Allen but we all know that he'll be gone in the top 3 most likely and it's looking like we''l be picking around #4 unless Jax wins another game or two which most likely isn't happening and we have so many needs i'm not sure moving up in the 1st round is the best idea unless we find a way to not give up to much to do it. We already don't have our 6th round pick but we do have a extra 4th.

Unless we drop out of the top 5, I'd would not be in favor of a trade up unless the cost was relatively cheap.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Can't have it both ways.

Either QBs will go high above Bears pick or they won't. That'll obviously determine what less risky defensive picks are available at #4 or #5. As much as I hate GB and want to spoil their year, Bears just might upset with another win or 2, making this speculation moot.

Seems the divide is whether certain picks mainly QB are actually considered HIGH RISK or not, and if the individual guy is better than the expectations given by media and other teams' boards. LOTS of unknowns.

With Peppers, like Floyd....high athletic ability is and maybe should be considered risky without a body of solid work at a given position? Hard to do, but we are stuck with trusting the GM & coaches whether we like it or not. Interesting discussions so far and the end of this shit season is strangely very interesting, given the potential when this team returns healthy + likely good draft position. Cheers!

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Unless we drop out of the top 5, I'd would not be in favor of a trade up unless the cost was relatively cheap.

Yeah i'm with you on that. What we do know is that R.Pace will be active which he has done and done pretty well in both of his drafts so far so i could see us trading up or down depending on who's still sitting there when we pick. There's a few CB's and Safeties that are projected to go 1st round that i would love to have. I know DB's are much easier to find in the mid rounds but we absolutely have to get a play maker in our secondary most likely at FS and there's a couple that will go in the 1st round.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Agreed, if it is not is it will be the Jets.

I can't really see any of the 3 QBs escaping the top 12 picks with like 6 needy teams.

I suspect Watson shows well in team visits and Pro Days etc and gets into the mix but he's clearly my 3rd choice. My personal opinion and it's easy to wrong about college QBs. I do believe that if Pace really LOVES a guy, he'll try to move heaven and earth to try and secure him.