dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
If the board truly is going to fall like this, there will be a team that is trading up for a QB. Jets, even Arizona could do it. I bet the Browns would be willing to deal.

I'm hearing that the Jets are gonna go hard after Trubisky

Josh2J

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
tumblr_nazslrbZ411ttc7kno1_250.gif

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Kiper said the same thing. I would love to get peppers and Watson in the second.

Sent from my bathroom using toilet talk

If I'm spending a top 5 overall pick on a safety, I want Ed Reed, not some guy with one career int. I need a full on game changing playmaker with that high a pick. I couldn't care less about what a safety did returning punts or running the ball in college.

Last edited:

Josh2J

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If I'm spending a top 5 overall pick on a safety, I want Ed Reed, not some guy with one career int. I need a full on game changing playmaker with that high a pick. I couldn't care less about what a safety did returning punts or running the ball in college.

Agree....more like a Charles Woodson if we are talking top 5. Reed was taken in the 20's.... there certainly doesn't appear to be any guys of that caliber in this draft. The last safety to that I think even sniffed elite level safety status coming out of college would be Collins and that's probably a stretch. Probably have to go all the way back to 2010 with Eric Berry and Earl Thomas. Just not been any great safeties in awhile.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Why would I draft someone at 4 to play a ball hawk position when you are telling me he's never exhibited those skills in his entire college career?

What Peppers has shown in college is that he can potentially be a great SS or LB. There is no real evidence that he's a great free safety. Maybe he has that ability and for some inexplicable reason, an NFL head coach like Harbaugh didn't recognize it but it is certainly not something I wish to gamble on with a top 5 pick when my main need is a ball hawk.

That's why we have R.Pace, J.Fox, V.Fangio and their team of scouts. They will determine where he fits best to play in the NFL.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Agree....more like a Charles Woodson if we are talking top 5. Reed was taken in the 20's....

Yeah, I mean I want a player that's likely to be another Ed Reed type in the NFL. Major impact player and ball hawk. I don't see Peppers being that.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers

He looks more like a Polamalu type, based on the way Michigan uses him. He seems to time the snap very well on blitzes, and he looks to be good diagnosing plays. His speed helps him get through a lot of screens. Would you take that? He definitely has the athletic ability to play FS, but it isn't how he's been used, at least not in the games I've seen.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
That's why we have R.Pace, J.Fox, V.Fangio and their team of scouts. They will determine where he fits best to play in the NFL.

And they would be stupid to project a college LB to Free Safety in the NFL. If you want to draft Peppers to be a LB or a SS then by all means do it. If you want to draft him and play him as a center fielder then that's pretty dumb IMO.

It's like let me watch all this college tape of a guy making a ton of plays at the LoS and then let me put him as far away from the LoS as possible. Yeah that makes a lot of sense.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
And they would be stupid to project a college LB to Free Safety in the NFL. If you want to draft Peppers to be a LB or a SS then by all means do it. If you want to draft him and play him as a center fielder then that's pretty dumb IMO.

It's like let me watch all this college tape of a guy making a ton of plays at the LoS and then let me put him as far away from the LoS as possible. Yeah that makes a lot of sense.

Almost like projecting a college safety to linebacker.
chi_brianurlacher_00.jpg

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
15 tackles for loss, 4 sacks, 1 forced fumble and 1 INT this year. That's 21 big plays in 13 games. Over 1.5 per game. The idea that he doesn't make plays is silly.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Almost like projecting a college safety to linebacker.
chi_brianurlacher_00.jpg

Not at all because you are going in the opposite direction. There are plenty of examples of college safeties dropping down and becoming Linebackers because the coverage skills at S translate to LB.

Not many examples of a college LB becoming a FS.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
15 tackles for loss, 4 sacks, 1 forced fumble and 1 INT this year. That's 21 big plays in 13 games. Over 1.5 per game. The idea that he doesn't make plays is silly.

Yes most of those big plays were around the LoS. They tell us nothing about whether he can be a FS. No one is saying he doesn't make plays at the LoS. We are saying he has not proven in college he can play center field as a FS.

Also why are we ignoring last year where he had 0 turnovers? Again he is a great SS/LB prospect. He is not a great FS prospect. Speed is not the only requirement for playing Centerfield as a FS. And it is silly to take a guy that plays well at the LoS and turn him into a FS.

If I'm drafting Peppers, it's to primarily be an in the box SS or a WLB in a 4-3. To me he's an Adrian Wilson type at SS or a Thomas Davis/Briggs type at LB. Davis in particular started out as a S before becoming a LB.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Yes most of those big plays were around the LoS. They tell us nothing about whether he can be a FS. No one is saying he doesn't make plays at the LoS. We are saying he has not proven in college he can play center field as a FS.

Also why are we ignoring last year where he had 0 turnovers? Again he is a great SS/LB prospect. He is not a great FS prospect. Speed is not the only requirement for playing Centerfield as a FS. And it is silly to take a guy that plays well at the LoS and turn him into a FS.

If I'm drafting Peppers, it's to primarily be an in the box SS or a WLB in a 4-3. To me he's an Adrian Wilson type at SS or a Thomas Davis/Briggs type at LB. Davis in particular started out as a S before becoming a LB.
He's not a nfl lb.

Sent from my bathroom using toilet talk

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I see Peppers kind of like the honey badger....just a athlete who causes havoc.

jbunch14

Liked Posts:
If we are at 3-4, I really hope Pace pays the price and moves up to ensure Garrett. That kid is going to be a star.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I only mentioned FS because we don't have one and we have a lot of SS. When Amos plays FS it's by default. I like the idea of a guy fast enough for the spot terrorizing the secondary. That said, he does project better to SS or hybrid. He's not a LB in the NFL and is basically playing a hybrid rover type roll right now. You get too hung up on some specific said in passing to unbalance an equation when it isn't the main point.

AussieBear

Agree....more like a Charles Woodson if we are talking top 5. Reed was taken in the 20's.... there certainly doesn't appear to be any guys of that caliber in this draft. The last safety to that I think even sniffed elite level safety status coming out of college would be Collins and that's probably a stretch. Probably have to go all the way back to 2010 with Eric Berry and Earl Thomas. Just not been any great safeties in awhile.

i thought karl joesph was decent.. but eh.. wtf do i know..