McShay knows....

AussieBear

Almost like projecting a college safety to linebacker.
chi_brianurlacher_00.jpg

uncle fester was a lobo in that defense... hybrid s/lb

dont forget his st duties as a returner and playing some wr too..

AussieBear

If I'm spending a top 5 overall pick on a safety, I want Ed Reed, not some guy with one career int. I need a full on game changing playmaker with that high a pick. I couldn't care less about what a safety did returning punts or running the ball in college.

but ed reed did return some kicks in college.. and a few in da league... but i hear ya.. its not like ed reed had 21 ints and 4 defensive tds in college... talk about letting a great fall in da draft.. to be fair, 8 probowlers were drafted before him.. good class overall eh

AussieBear

they can sign both Eric Berry and Tony Jefferson/DJ... and be done with it.. well saying those guys wanna come to chi

DJ Swearinger, is another ARI safety not named Mathieu thats hitting the FA market.. DJ has exp at both FS/SS.. damn ari has a lot of defensive players hitting the market..chandler jones, marcus cooper, c campbell etc etc....... i wonder what their cap situation is like

anyway Dj is young too.. gets ints...

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Interesting history to look at:

Floyd had how many sacks before drafted in Rd 1? = now looking pretty good

Long had how much experience before drafted Rd 1? = clearly very good

Also...(as posted) Urlacher was a college safety before LB in NFL = decade best blue chip

Peppers as an uber-athletic utility jack of all trades = ???

-----------

Top picks for new roles are far more the exception than the rule, which makes it hard for us as fans to trust Pace & coaches to make a new fit for raw talent actually work at NFL level and scheme fit. This plan fails as does known position guys who simply bust. Hard to make heads or tails of it at this point, hell even after the draft until we see a season or 2 of snaps.

Skepticism and optimism are both definitely warranted with Peppers. Not sure how I feel. It'll be interesting for sure.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
Interesting history to look at:

Floyd had how many sacks before drafted in Rd 1? = now looking pretty good

Long had how much experience before drafted Rd 1? = clearly very good

Also...(as posted) Urlacher was a college safety before LB in NFL = decade best blue chip

Peppers as an uber-athletic utility jack of all trades = ???

-----------

Top picks for new roles are far more the exception than the rule, which makes it hard for us as fans to trust Pace & coaches to make a new fit for raw talent actually work at NFL level and scheme fit. This plan fails as does known position guys who simply bust. Hard to make heads or tails of it at this point, hell even after the draft until we see a season or 2 of snaps.

Skepticism and optimism are both definitely warranted with Peppers. Not sure how I feel. It'll be interesting for sure.

I just don't see Peppers at 4. There are two sure fire defensive players (Allen, Garrett) that are better and three QBs that look good. I'd take any of them ahead of Peppers, who is boom or bust to me.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't know about #4 and not what I was posting about but his play and potential are top 10. Where these players go is about team need vs positional value after the 2 or 3 super elite are gone.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't know about #4 and not what I was posting about but his play and potential are top 10. Where these players go is about team need vs positional value after the 2 or 3 super elite are gone. One reason I mentioned FS is that it's what this team needs and if he can play there, he's more likely to be an option. Projecting where positional players are drafted before FA or draft order is known is rather fruitless.

Escobar's Army

Liked Posts:
Only way I'd take Peppers at 4 is if we signed Berry as well. If a D has a ball hawk FS, Peppers can move around and fully utilize his skill set. He could be a great weapon on 1-2 down in the box and blitzing from time to time.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I would be ok with Peppers as long as Watson is off the board. Peppers is a guy that can line up anywhere, has the athletic ability that lacks in our backend. Watson is still my 1st choice. I think he will be our version of Mariota. A Qb that can do it all, but also has the smarts to transiton from a college spread to pro offense.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I only mentioned FS because we don't have one and we have a lot of SS. When Amos plays FS it's by default. I like the idea of a guy fast enough for the spot terrorizing the secondary. That said, he does project better to SS or hybrid. He's not a LB in the NFL and is basically playing a hybrid rover type roll right now. You get too hung up on some specific said in passing to unbalance an equation when it isn't the main point.

I was not bringing up FS because you said it. I was bringing it up because I view that as the bigger need. As you said we have enough SS types and frankly I think one or more of them can be good at SS if they actually had a true FS playing next to them.

If the decision is that Peppers is too dynamic at SS/LB to pass up then so be it. I just don't want to draft the guy and try and make him into a FS when his skills are best suited to playing at the LoS.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He's not a nfl lb.

Sent from my bathroom using toilet talk

Probably not off the bat as he'd need to add 20-30 pounds of muscle. But depending on the scheme he could project as a WLB in a 4-3. Thomas Davis was a safety before they converted him to OLB midway through his rookie year.

But sure I presume more teams will view him as a SS.

Josh2J

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I see Peppers kind of like the honey badger....just a athlete who causes havoc.

Yep, when you watch his highlights he's just always flying to the ball...that dudes closing speed is sick! Depending on how the draft falls I wouldn't be crying about getting a guy that shows that kind of nose for the ball and athletisism and trust that Fangio can mold him into a NFL playmaker.

Bort

Liked Posts:
Since everyone has an opinion on Jabril Peppers, here's mine:

He is a phenomenal, freakish athlete who can make amazing plays with his athleticism, but he is not a sound fundamental football player. I'm very concerned about a guy who has spent 3 years in a top college program who still doesn't tackle with proper technique, tries to run around blocks by wide receivers, doesn't use proper leverage, etc.

Obviously, his ceiling is through the roof due to his freakish athleticism, but if you're going to use a top 5 overall pick on a defensive back, you don't take a project, you only take a sure-fire can't-miss great football player, and Peppers is not that.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I would be ok with Peppers as long as Watson is off the board. Peppers is a guy that can line up anywhere, has the athletic ability that lacks in our backend. Watson is still my 1st choice. I think he will be our version of Mariota. A Qb that can do it all, but also has the smarts to transiton from a college spread to pro offense.

I made the post about Peppers because they were talking about QBs falling in this draft. If they could get Peppers and Watson, I would not be crying was all I said that started the Peppers firestorm.

Josh2J

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Since everyone has an opinion on Jabril Peppers, here's mine:

He is a phenomenal, freakish athlete who can make amazing plays with his athleticism, but he is not a sound fundamental football player. I'm very concerned about a guy who has spent 3 years in a top college program who still doesn't tackle with proper technique, tries to run around blocks by wide receivers, doesn't use proper leverage, etc.

Obviously, his ceiling is through the roof due to his freakish athleticism, but if you're going to use a top 5 overall pick on a defensive back, you don't take a project, you only take a sure-fire can't-miss great football player, and Peppers is not that.

definitely a fair point...ideally you'd like to get someone that is a little more well rounded that high in the draft. it just seems weird nowadays that there doesn't seem to be these sure fire top 10 picks in these drafts, its like there are questions about almost all the prospects from about pick 2 on ....

but if you look at the 2011 draft for example, there were like 8-10 studs that you just kind of knew were going to be pretty dam good players in the league. (with the exception of all the bum qb's that everyone (but the Titans Jags) knew were probably going to suck)

Carolina Panthers Cam Newton † QB Auburn SEC 2010 Heisman Trophy winner[N 2]

Denver Broncos Von Miller † LB Texas A&M Big 12

Buffalo Bills Marcell Dareus † DT Alabama SEC

Cincinnati Bengals A. J. Green † WR Georgia SEC

Arizona Cardinals Patrick Peterson † CB LSU SEC

Atlanta Falcons Julio Jones † WR Alabama SEC from Cleveland [R1 - 1]

San Francisco 49ers Aldon Smith † LB Missouri Big 12

Tennessee Titans Jake Locker QB Washington Pac-10

Dallas Cowboys Tyron Smith † OT USC Pac-10

Jacksonville Jaguars Blaine Gabbert QB Missouri Big 12 from Washington [R1 - 2]

Houston Texans J. J. Watt † DE Wisconsin Big Ten

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
And they would be stupid to project a college LB to Free Safety in the NFL. If you want to draft Peppers to be a LB or a SS then by all means do it. If you want to draft him and play him as a center fielder then that's pretty dumb IMO.

It's like let me watch all this college tape of a guy making a ton of plays at the LoS and then let me put him as far away from the LoS as possible. Yeah that makes a lot of sense.

I don't think anyone was saying he should be put at FS though, he should be a SS in the NFL but he does have the speed to play FS. I'm not gonna try to predict where he should and will play in the NFL and again that's why we have a team of guys that do this for a living.

geneatals

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
every year the qb class sucks..yet every year someone comes up finding a qb....

a first/second p QB pick doesn't automatically mean superbowl anyway....as of late when's the last time a high qb pick really done much....yet teams find a "franchise qb" later in the draft

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
definitely a fair point...ideally you'd like to get someone that is a little more well rounded that high in the draft. it just seems weird nowadays that there doesn't seem to be these sure fire top 10 picks in these drafts, its like there are questions about almost all the prospects from about pick 2 on ....

but if you look at the 2011 draft for example, there were like 8-10 studs that you just kind of knew were going to be pretty dam good players in the league. (with the exception of all the bum qb's that everyone (but the Titans Jags) knew were probably going to suck)

Carolina Panthers Cam Newton † QB Auburn SEC 2010 Heisman Trophy winner[N 2]

Denver Broncos Von Miller † LB Texas A&M Big 12

Buffalo Bills Marcell Dareus † DT Alabama SEC

Cincinnati Bengals A. J. Green † WR Georgia SEC

Arizona Cardinals Patrick Peterson † CB LSU SEC

Atlanta Falcons Julio Jones † WR Alabama SEC from Cleveland [R1 - 1]

San Francisco 49ers Aldon Smith † LB Missouri Big 12

Tennessee Titans Jake Locker QB Washington Pac-10

Dallas Cowboys Tyron Smith † OT USC Pac-10

Jacksonville Jaguars Blaine Gabbert QB Missouri Big 12 from Washington [R1 - 2]

Houston Texans J. J. Watt † DE Wisconsin Big Ten

Was actually just talking about this the other night with some friends. We looked back as far as 1980-ish and agreed that 2011 beats out 1989 and 1983 for best draft class as far as impact players at the top.