CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Driving home tonight and I was listening to Laurence Holmes on The Score. I didn't hear what started the conversation, but it turned to Singletary and Holmes saying he wasn't in the top 5 of the 85 defense. Before I get to my question, let me state something for the record. Some day next week I'll be turning 35. That means I would have been 3 years old during the 1985 season, so I apologize for not remembering that much. So here's the question:

Where would you rank Mike Singletary in the top 11 of the starting defense? Where would you rank Mike Singletary in the top 53 of that team?

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
So one of the Hall of Fame players on that defense isn't among the top-5 players on the defense? Watch Mike Singletary a Football Life and listen to Buddy Ryan talk about him.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Driving home tonight and I was listening to Laurence Holmes on The Score. I didn't hear what started the conversation, but it turned to Singletary and Holmes saying he wasn't in the top 5 of the 85 defense. Before I get to my question, let me state something for the record. Some day next week I'll be turning 35. That means I would have been 3 years old during the 1985 season, so I apologize for not remembering that much. So here's the question:

Where would you rank Mike Singletary in the top 11 of the starting defense? Where would you rank Mike Singletary in the top 53 of that team?

I'm too young to have seen them either, but curious to who he named as his top 5.

shoopster

BANNED
Donator
Liked Posts:
Curious to know five 85 Bears he ranks ahead of Singletary . . . Hampton, McMichael, Perry, Fencik, Wilson? Singletary was more consistent and important to the defense than all of them. Lawrence Holmes is an everlasting tool . . .

AussieBear

I'm too young to have seen them either, but curious to who he named as his top 5.

being that i was 7-8... my scouting report was.. damn hes a bad man... them bug eyes gives him super powers... and he hits ppl hard.. golly gee.....holy crap dad.. that whole team hits hard.. see ya dad...imma go watch gi joe.. da fridge is gonna be on it...

sb win didnt mean much to me then... i think i was happy and was like yesssssss... but then i was like.... still not as good as the transformers...

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
He put the entire defensive line, the two other linebackers, and Fencik in front of Singletary. He also put Covert, Thayer, and Hilgenberg in front of Samuri Mike. Obviously Walter was #1.

He hinted that Dan Hampton helped shape his opinion.

He also said that Hampton was irate that the gave Shea his number.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Todd Bell was the best player on that defense and he held out that year. Here is my ranking:

-Hampton
-Frazier
-Marshall
-Singletary
-Dent
-Fencik
-McMichael
-Wilson

AussieBear

Todd Bell was the best player on that defense and he held out that year. Here is my ranking:

-Hampton
-Frazier
-Marshall
-Singletary
-Dent
-McMichael
-Wilson

wont argue wiff ommy.. he was 42 back then...

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Hampton was the most important player in the 46 defense which revolved around getting a massive push in the middle of the line. He was nearly unblockable and couldnt be double teamed the way Ryan had him positioned between McMicahel and Fridge

Singletary was a wonderful LB but he was totally protected by that DL. He also didnt have to pass defend much. So he was a downhill LB free to move to the ball and clobber people.

Last edited:

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
So one of the Hall of Fame players on that defense isn't among the top-5 players on the defense? Watch Mike Singletary a Football Life and listen to Buddy Ryan talk about him.

Do you even bother to read threads? Do you even bother to respond to the topics? I thought I was on ignore? Did you read in my OP that I was looking for opinions on what Holmes said? Do you have an opinion to offer?

Skull

Liked Posts:
Hampton for sure was the most important piece with his pressure up the middle. Singletary, Marshall, and Dent about equal right aifter Hamp!

BringBackDitka54

Liked Posts:
Just the idea that Hall of Famer Mike Singletary wasn't even in the top five for that defense... we'll never see anything like that again.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
I was sitting in the stands when I was 4....

I was at WPs 275 yard game in 75.

In my order, I have (per whatI witnessed):

Hampton
Marshall
Wilson
Mongo

And then Singletary.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Curious to know five 85 Bears he ranks ahead of Singletary . . . Hampton, McMichael, Perry, Fencik, Wilson? Singletary was more consistent and important to the defense than all of them. Lawrence Holmes is an everlasting tool . . .

I liked Perry, but no way is he one. You list McMichael before Dent? I assume you were too young? Wilson before Marshall? Wilbur may have been the best LB. But as QB of the D, as someone said, and as smart and good as he was, I believe he is 1 or 1A.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Eleven way tie for #1

I recall many fun, fun drunken Sundays that year.

Went to New Orleans but almost nobody was selling tix. Watched in bar of Bears hotel with Bears fans. Went back to dome at halftime (as Pats fans flooded out), and snuck in and witnessed the last quarter and a half.

eirebob

Liked Posts:
As one of the elders on this site ( I was 34 in '85 ), there's no question Singletary was the defensive leader. In sheer athletic terms, though, I would have put him in the middle rank of that defense. What astonishes me in the comments ( thru 16 ) is that no one has mentioned the best cover corner in the league, Leslie Frazier, whose career was cut short in the Super Bowl on one of the dumber punt returns I've seen attempted.
Athletically, I'd rate them ... Marshall
Frazier
Hampton
Wilson
Dent
Singletary
McMichael
Duerson
Fencik
Perry
Richardson

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
I mentioned Fraizer in a previos post and had him second to Hampton

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
As one of the elders on this site ( I was 34 in '85 ), there's no question Singletary was the defensive leader. In sheer athletic terms, though, I would have put him in the middle rank of that defense. What astonishes me in the comments ( thru 16 ) is that no one has mentioned the best cover corner in the league, Leslie Frazier, whose career was cut short in the Super Bowl on one of the dumber punt returns I've seen attempted.
Athletically, I'd rate them ... Marshall
Frazier
Hampton
Wilson
Dent
Singletary
McMichael
Duerson
Fencik
Perry
Richardson

Thanks for your post, but I'm not talking about being the leader of the defense, or athleticism. I mean to say where does he rank in terms of being the best player.

greg23

Liked Posts:
As someone old enough to recall

Hampton
Dent
McMichael
Frazier
Singletary-Wilson-Marshall (with Wilbur as my fav)