Mike Singletary

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
How do you know how great that defence was? You have a hard time figuring out what position on a roster ranking the league DPOY in that year. Oh to have this problem again. Hampton Dent, Marshall, Singletary and say Frazier... Any order you like.

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
I'll decline to rank the players and I mean no disrespect to Singletary but he benefited greatly by playing behind a dominant dline. That should not be debated. Even Singletary has acknowledged this.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
Nothing compared to Bostic/Kaseem Greene/Shea Shea Watts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Walter
Dent
Covert, WTF you guys. None better and at LT besides. No wonder he's not in the hall. No respect!
McMahon
Frazier
Hampton
Marshal
Singletary

This is in order of value to the team. McMahon isn't a HOF player but was VERY important to them and should have been the MVP of the SB. Couldn't do what he did without Covert. Consider what other teams wanted to do to our QB after what we did to theirs. 46 doesn't work without a shut down corner on their #1 and Frazier was the best CB I've seen play for this franchise. Could MAN UP the big guys and the little guys. Peanut was more limited and took longer to develop into the great player he was.

Gault doesn't make it here but his contribution to stretching out a D can't be overlooked.

Luke

Liked Posts:
Walter
Dent
Covert, WTF you guys. None better and at LT besides. No wonder he's not in the hall. No respect!
McMahon
Frazier
Hampton
Marshal
Singletary

This is in order of value to the team. McMahon isn't a HOF player but was VERY important to them and should have been the MVP of the SB. Couldn't do what he did without Covert. Consider what other teams wanted to do to our QB after what we did to theirs.

I was only choosing defense. On offense, well walter was the best hands down. Jimbo, I cant believe he isn't a HOFer, was named to the all decade team. and McMahon, if that sucker could have stayed healthy....

bears5150

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Singletary was the Peyton Manning of the Defense. Take Singletary out and nobody is as good. Singletary prepared with film and then executed on the field not the biggest or strongest but nobody was more prepared than Mike loved him for that.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Singletary was the Peyton Manning of the Defense. Take Singletary out and nobody is as good. Singletary prepared with film and then executed on the field not the biggest or strongest but nobody was more prepared than Mike loved him for that.

I loved Mike. It just is tough to assess who was best in a group of pretty much NFL immortals. Personally I thought that Dan Hampton was the best individual on that defense but one could make a case for at least four others.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The D emphasis changed to somewhat less aggressive with more safety help for the DBs in 86 but I can see why you feel that way about Frazier. He was just coming into his own and doesn't have the resume but his 85 season was outstanding and he could blanket anyone, quick or big. Still had 18 INTs over 3 seasons.

cobra302

Liked Posts:
1) Hampton
2) Dent
3) Singletary
4) Fencik
5) Wilson
6) McMichael

Now, if you're including offense in this, put Payton at the top & everyone else moves down a notch.
And I am old enough to have seen & recalled that season.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
1) Hampton
2) Dent
3) Singletary
4) Fencik
5) Wilson
6) McMichael

Now, if you're including offense in this, put Payton at the top & everyone else moves down a notch.
And I am old enough to have seen & recalled that season.
Leslie Frazier was a budding star in 1985 and on his way to all pro and you dont have him in ht etop 6? Duh

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
To the point of the thread:

I'd say Singletary was the third "best" player on the defense behind Hampton and Marshall.

But I think he was the "most important" player because of what he meant to the defense in terms of his understanding of Ryan's scheme and his overall football intelligence.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
To the point of the thread:

I'd say Singletary was the third "best" player on the defense behind Hampton and Marshall.

But I think he was the "most important" player because of what he meant to the defense in terms of his understanding of Ryan's scheme and his overall football intelligence.

Beat me to the point I was going to make. It's an impossible thing to quantify, of course, but Singletary fulfilled all of the cliches of "QB of the defense" and "like another coach on the field" etc. It would've been interesting to see how that defense performed without him running the show in the middle, but that's something we'll never really know because he lasted longer in Chicago than just about everyone from that defense. I don't think he was an incredible athlete like Wilber Marshall was, but he was still a force in the run game in the middle of that defense. And I don't think you have to be a freak athlete to be a HOFer. The way he owned the mental side of the game was impressive. And probably HOF-worthy alone. May not have had to make as many plays because of all the studs around him, but he could certainly make them.

And the one play that sums up Singletary, for me, is the stuff of Eric Dickerson on a third-and-one in the '85 NFCCG. The brains to know where the ball was going to be, and the physical ability to shut down a HOF running back in the hole. At 1:50 of this link:

[video=youtube;IeMO2Zg0Jg4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeMO2Zg0Jg4[/video]

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Not the top man on the defense?

ct-football-life-tackles-mike-singletary-story-20151111

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
You've been pushing this shitty/idiotic narrative for years and it's not true.
Not buying it

Here is an article that accurately portrays Bell as the heart of the Bears defense and NFL Defensive MVP candidate in 1984

https://taylorblitztimes.com/2012/11/09/the-soul-of-the-game-todd-bell/

Here is an article where Buddy Ryan calls him the best player

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1988-05-15/sports/8803170236_1_todd-bell-super-bowl-glory-bears

Guess Buddy has a false narative on Bell also lolololololololo

Last edited:

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Not buying it

Shitty link. Reads like it was written by a Bell relative.

Would be pretty odd for Bell to be the best player on the defense and they saw no drop off in play without him on the team.

You're arguing that Bell was better than three HOF players in their prime and better than a guy in Marshall who was maybe the second most athletically gifted LB in the entire NFL behind LT.

Again, your narrative of Bell sucks and flies in the face of reality.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Shitty link. Reads like it was written by a Bell relative.

Would be pretty odd for Bell to be the best player on the defense and they saw no drop off in play without him on the team.

You're arguing that Bell was better than three HOF players in their prime and better than a guy in Marshall who was maybe the second most athletically gifted LB in the entire NFL behind LT.

Again, your narrative of Bell sucks and flies in the face of reality.
2 articles quoting Ryan saying he was the best player. Dont be such a moron. Anyone can blindly deny anything else. I'm telling you at that moment Bell was their best player and Ryan backs it up. Or in your world the DC doesnt know his own fucking players

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
2 articles quoting Ryan saying he was the best player.
Ryan is also on the record saying Hampton was...and Singletary....but hey. Whatever.

I'm telling you at that moment Bell was their best player
And I'm telling you that you are 100% wrong. Facts, logic, performance, and reality back it up.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Ryan is also on the record saying Hampton was...and Singletary....but hey. Whatever.

And I'm telling you that you are 100% wrong. Facts, logic, performance, and reality back it up.
Buddy Ryan says Bell was best and you argue with him LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOOLLL

BTW, only 14 year old girls say "whatever"