Mike Singletary

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's a bit nebulous and tough to quantify but Singletary, IMO, was one of, if not THE best run-fit linebackers in NFL history.

Recognition, confidence (boosted by those around you), fly to the ball.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
..and honestly...regardless of scheme I'd start my DL with a guy like Hampton over Dent. IMO Hampton was an elite level DT and DE. He could impact and dominate a game from both positions. Dent, while I think calling him a one trick pony is a bit severe, was not the all around force Hampton was.
It wasnt me calling Dent a one trick pony, it was his teammates

Washington

Liked Posts:
Dent a one trick pony? Holy shit, now I've seen it all.

Not only did he rush the passer better than anyone in the history of the Chicago Bears, he also was stout against the run, contrary to what Ommy said and he dropped into coverage too. He was a force that Ryan could move around and do stuff with. Look at the turnovers he created versus Hampton. They are not even close. I loved Hampton and don't disregard his role, but to me, Dent was the most important player on that line. He was always being double teamed and accounted for.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Dent a one trick pony? Holy shit, now I've seen it all.

Not only did he rush the passer better than anyone in the history of the Chicago Bears, he also was stout against the run, contrary to what Ommy said and he dropped into coverage too. He was a force that Ryan could move around and do stuff with. Look at the turnovers he created versus Hampton. They are not even close. I loved Hampton and don't disregard his role, but to me, Dent was the most important player on that line. He was always being double teamed and accounted for.
You people are totally amazing. The other players on the Bears gave Dent the nickname "Colonel" after KFC and their slogan that "he only does one thing", meaning he was only interested in pass rushing. They gave him the nickname not me.

But you think you know more than the players and First Timers thinks he knows more than Buddy Ryan. This is why people cant have reasonable discussion on forums anymore.

Washington

Liked Posts:
You people are totally amazing. The other players on the Bears gave Dent the nickname "Colonel" after KFC and their slogan that "he only does one thing", meaning he was only interested in pass rushing. They gave him the nickname not me.

But you think you know more than the players and First Timers thinks he knows more than Buddy Ryan. This is why people cant have reasonable discussion on forums anymore.

His 8 INTS shows he did more than rush the passer. He also played the run quite well. But imagine though, the best pass rusher in team history wanted to rush the passer first and foremost. Crazy. I wonder if guys like Julius Peppers and Dwight Freeney preferred to rush the passer? I bet WRs prefer to catch passes versus blocking.

I'm waiting now for people to tell me that Dent's much better turnover production means nothing.

This much I know, we'd be fortunate to be having a discussion like this over 2 Bears in the future. Seeing another HOF player come from the Bears would be a miracle about now. The '85 team was a once in a lifetime occurrence.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
His 8 INTS shows he did more than rush the passer. He also played the run quite well. But imagine though, the best pass rusher in team history wanted to rush the passer first and foremost. Crazy. I wonder if guys like Julius Peppers and Dwight Freeney preferred to rush the passer? I bet WRs prefer to catch passes versus blocking.

I'm waiting now for people to tell me that Dent's much better turnover production means nothing.

This much I know, we'd be fortunate to be having a discussion like this over 2 Bears in the future. Seeing another HOF player come from the Bears would be a miracle about now. The '85 team was a once in a lifetime occurrence.

Or how often players and coaches evaluations and opinions don't align with reality...like Dent's own perceptions of Doug Flutie and the 1986 Bears.....etc

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
He's dead

So, it is a lot like arguing here on this forum?

Edit: Thread makes me sad. Sad that we are discussing amazing players on an amazing team and then I have to look at this current team and roster... bah.

Last edited:

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Hampton always had to be accounted for more than Dent which is why Ryan moved him inside to pressure middle.Hampton was aslo an All-Pro at DE earlier in his career and NFL DPOY.

Dent was a one trick pony who was soft against the run. This is why is nickname was "Colonel" after the KFC commercial (Does ONE thing right) given to him by his teammates. I dont beleive any analyst at the time would have rated Dent over Hampton

They were both great players. I thought Hampton was the more complete player because he was also great against the run.

jive

Liked Posts:
It depends on how you want to define the top players. If you're looking at integral to the team, then it would be:
1. Hampton - Played DE and DT, collapsed pockets, broke up blocking schemes, and caused general havoc that let him and others make highlight reel plays.
2. Singletary - QB of the defense, read plays, lined people up, and did his job own well.
3. Dent - Provided consistent QB pressure to allow DBs to make plays.
4. Marshall - Playmaker, period. He could do it all: cover, sack, tackle, and create turnovers.
5. Duerson - Played the 46 position that made running on the team impossible.

In terms of pure talent...
1. Marshall - Incredible range and recovery speed. Excellent tackling, sticky coverage, pass rush ability, and excellent instincts. Always around the ball. I believe that if he stayed with the Bears in the scheme he thrived in, he'd be up for HOF consideration.
2. Dent - Amazing footwork for man his size. Raw coming out of college, but with his speed and reach, he made it look too easy at times. Even though people rip on his run D, I remember a play he had against the Rams where he launched himself like a missle over a guy trying to go low on him and nail Cleveland Gary in the backfield.
3. Hampton - Versatility, great moves, strength to collapse pockets, excellent hands, and a smart player to boot.
4. Frazier - For a while, one of the best cover corners out there. But, I didn't consider him integral because the pass rush that year was so excellent, the CBs rarely ever had to cover anyone for long.
5. Singletary - Great instincts and ability to read plays. Solid tackler, above average range and ability to be in the right place.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Another thing that made those guys great was the hard-hitting. Back then teams feared us ( i.e. Qb's & wr's) . The fear gave us a big edge vs. opponents. In today's game if ya accidentally touch a guys helmet with ur's, it's a 15 yd. penalty.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Agreed. The 46 was predicated on forcing OL guys to be individually isolated on one of the DL guys. Each would be covered with a DL guy, except for the RT (or LT), who was in the unenviable spot of having both Marshall & Wilson lined up across from him. That in itself shouldn't have been a huge deal, but there simply weren't any interior OL guys who could handle Hampton alone. The result was constant inside pressure, which as everyone hopefully knows, is the hardest thing for offenses to deal with. Dent was a great player, and belongs in the HoF, but Hampton's ability to generate inside pressure was the foundation of that defense.

Yeah. The guy who Hampton reminded me of was Howie Young with the Raiders. No one offensive lineman could handle Young either. Hampton was an amazing lineman.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah. The guy who Hampton reminded me of was Howie Young with the Raiders. No one offensive lineman could handle Young either. Hampton was an amazing lineman.

Did he play with Howie Long? That guy was a beast.... ;)