Minority Hires & Draft Picks

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Is Eliot Wolf really good at his job? Or is he riding the coattails of his successful father?

Too bad most minorities working in scouting departments can't us their last name to get ahead like Eliot. Of course, the reason for that is the precise reason why we have the Rooney Rule.

I guarantee some of you in the "I don't care if they hire a white, black, or purple GM" category would bitch to high heaven if you were passed over for a promotion if the job was given to the roommate of the bosses son.

Those with privilege don't think about what seems natural to them.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Did they make me part of the hiring process team? No and you know why?
Anyone with half an ounce of familiarity of your posting history knows you aren’t qualified to flip a beef patty on a flat top grill, let alone be in a room with executives helping make decisions for billion dollar sports franchises.

I wouldn’t let you wash my Jeep.

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's too bad there wasn't a Tanesha Wade in the room last time to say "George, maybe letting Ernie Accorsi, Mickey Loomis and Sean Payton talk you and Sweaty Teddy in to hiring their buddy Ryan isn't the best way to go about this."

thenewguy

Liked Posts:
Their bringing in a diversity team to be part of the hiring process. Does that sound like their interested in getting the right football people or being pc??? What does a diversity team know about running a NFL football team? Is the diversity team looking out for our team or their own ajenda / interests?
Believe it or not, it is helpful in hiring the right people. There are mountains of studies done on hiring practices and inherent bias.

If Polian, George, and Teddy are the only people in the interview process there is a lot of perspective they can miss. They are all older, rich white guys who are not well plugged into current players/coaches and their needs/wants. One of the best ways to give fair looks to a broader base of candidates is to diversify the interview panel. This can help counter the old boys network and bad retread hires.

It's also helpful to have people who will work for a HC/GM be part of the interview, instead of just people the HC/GM will report to. People keep mentioned they don't want Polian to lean too heavily in hiring people he knows. This is one way to counter that.

And for people who know Soup Campbell, they say he is the most plugged in person in the organization to player and coaches needs. Why would you not want his input?

Go ahead and tell me why they shouldn't be a part of the interview process.

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Anyone with half an ounce of familiarity of your posting history knows you aren’t qualified to flip a beef patty on a flat top grill, let alone be in a room with executives helping make decisions for billion dollar sports franchises.

I wouldn’t let you wash my Jeep.
Imagine the guy that gun ho about us not drafting a QB because Matt Barkley is the truth telling others they are not qualified to talk football.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
It’s the wrong way to do it. Once you assign a different “value” to a person based on skin color it’s racist IMO. The Rooney rule isn’t racist because it’s just making sure you talk to people.
Actually making someone more “valuable” by assigning draft picks to it crosses into racism.

And I hate Cheetos for the record.
I wouldn’t call it racism however it does look bad on thé nfl part. To me it’s saying that the nfl is so entrenched in it’s good ole boy network that they need a reward to hire minorities. Funny thing is if you look back minority HCs in the nfl don’t have a bad track record and yet it’s hard for them to be hired but easy as hell to fire them. I mean it makes wonder why Gruden got a second shot yet Bienemy can’t even get one?

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I wouldn’t call it racism however it does look bad on thé nfl part. To me it’s saying that the nfl is so entrenched in it’s good ole boy network that they need a reward to hire minorities. Funny thing is if you look back minority HCs in the nfl don’t have a bad track record and yet it’s hard for them to be hired but easy as hell to fire them. I mean it makes wonder why Gruden got a second shot yet Bienemy can’t even get one?
You’re really questioning Gruden and Bienemy?

Gruden won a Super Bowl as a HC.

Bienemy was the next Reid OC with no play calling experience after the league watched Nagy crash and burn.

So I don’t wonder for a second about that.

And I ? stand by my racism comment. The NFL has declared one skin type more valuable than another. That’s as racist as can get.

Not saying the NFL doesn’t have a problem… it does. All I’m saying is two wrongs don’t make a right.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I'm not sure Gruden is the best example here, but I'm basing that off of his relationship with the Raiders. I don't recall, and of course I'm often wrong, him being linked to other teams. I think a better example are guys like Jeff Fisher and Adam Gase. As far as Bienemy, I think he's been a victim of his own success. At least until this year when they changed the rules on when coaches could be contacted. That said, I think Bienemy also has some Andy Reid assistant coach stink on him due to Nagy.

RubberBanMan

I’m just a fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
That makes no sense. Where is the incentive for the team to make a minority hire? In fact, it would discourage minority hiring if it's someone in your division and you don't want to see your competitor pick up a third rounder due to your actions.
I just had this discussion the other day. Imagine the giving the packers draft picks for hiring someone etc

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Bienemy was the next Reid OC with no play calling experience after the league watched Nagy crash and burn.

And I ? stand by my racism comment. The NFL has declared one skin type more valuable than another. That’s as racist as can get.

Not saying the NFL doesn’t have a problem… it does. All I’m saying is two wrongs don’t make a right.

White head coaches get HC jobs without playcalling all the time. Reid himself did not have playcalling experience when he was hired by Philly. It seems to only be a problem if you are black.

And yes the NFL has declared one skin color more valuable than another since only 1 HC is currently black. A policy doesn't change the reality on the ground. Being white is more valuable if you want to be a GM or HC.

Look how people try to compare Nagy and Leftwich when one had 6 games of playcalling and the other around 56 games. Every white OC under an offensive Head Coach is running that HC's offense but it somehow it is only a problem that Leftwich is running Arian's offense.

Brady can get all sorts of white OCs HC jobs like Weis and McDaniels but suddenly Brady made Leftwich. The bar is clearly set higher if you are black.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

I can easily question it. Gruden won that super bowl off the back of Dungy and was trash to mediocre ever since then. Bienemy has had one of the hottest offenses since 2018 and is actually calling plays.

The NFL is actually trying to come up with a solution, the Rooney rule is barring little fruit

Last edited:

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
White head coaches get HC jobs without playcalling all the time. Reid himself did not have playcalling experience when he was hired by Philly. It seems to only be a problem if you are black.

And yes the NFL has declared one skin color more valuable than another since only 1 HC is currently black. A policy doesn't change the reality on the ground. Being white is more valuable if you want to be a GM or HC.

Look how people try to compare Nagy and Leftwich when one had 6 games of playcalling and the other around 56 games. Every white OC under an offensive Head Coach is running that HC's offense but it somehow it is only a problem that Leftwich is running Arian's offense.

Brady can get all sorts of white OCs HC jobs like Weis and McDaniels but suddenly Brady made Leftwich. The bar is clearly set higher if you are black.
Assigning skin colors different values doesn’t solve the problem.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I can easily question it. Gruden won that super bowl off the back of Dungy and was trash to mediocre ever since then. Bienemy has had one of the hottest offenses since 2018 and is actually calling plays.

The NFL is actually trying to come up with a solution, the Rooney rule is barring little fruit
It’s the wrong solution.

thenewguy

Liked Posts:

I think Bienemy is a really good example, as well. Pederson and Nagy did the same role as him under Reid and got a HC opportunity. Bienemy has produced better offenses and spent longer developing Mahomes.

And Leftwich and Kellen Moore are really good comps right now as far amount of experience. Leftwich has had better team success, yet many feel Moore is a better candidate. I don't get that one.

pinkfloydster

Liked Posts:

It's not saying that at all. It's saying that power structures in the NFL are willing to sacrifice quality so as to surround themselves with people that look/act/think like them. I mean, look at every major decision the Bears have made for the last decade. They're just giving a reward to get powerful people to make wise choices and overall improve the game.

I don't know about you, but I sure would like to see a QB pass for over 4000 yards. Shoulda hired someone like Tanesha long ago and maybe we would have had something to get excited about.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I think Bienemy is a really good example, as well. Pederson and Nagy did the same role as him under Reid and got a HC opportunity. Bienemy has produced better offenses and spent longer developing Mahomes.

And Leftwich and Kellen Moore are really good comps right now as far amount of experience. Leftwich has had better team success, yet many feel Moore is a better candidate. I don't get that one.
Meanwhile the Cowboys offense sputtered down the stretch and the Bucs thrived