Minority Hires & Draft Picks

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
What is your solution?

I would focus on building from the bottom up. For the front office positions most of these guys start off as a scout of some sort right? Make sure your new scouts are a diverse group. I'd do that by heavily hiring former players. Players as a group I believe are 70% minority and it makes sense to hire scouts that know the game. Get more diversity in your scouting department and eventually the cream rises to the top.

For coaching same thing. By my count only 23% of coordinator positions were minority last year. Most of those guys are going to be your next HC's. 23% isn't reflective of the league. So start getting those position coaches and quality control jobs and build up from there. Figure out why more minorities aren't going into entry level jobs and help remove barriers. Higher pay for entry level jobs. More outreach, etc. Put more into the pipeline and it rises to the top.

I think the pressure they're applying through the media is GREAT. Everyone knows there is one black HC in the league right now and the NFL is catching flak for it. That's really good. Maybe put out a report every year that lists the percentage of minorities in an organization and list it top to bottom. Publicize the shit out of it. I don't think any organization would want to be stuck at the bottom of that list for several straight years. Embarrass the hell out of the worst offenders.

There really isn't a silver bullet here IMO. I agree it's a problem. It's something I want solved. I am open to any solution that doesn't assign different values to skin color.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
It's not saying that at all. It's saying that power structures in the NFL are willing to sacrifice quality so as to surround themselves with people that look/act/think like them. I mean, look at every major decision the Bears have made for the last decade. They're just giving a reward to get powerful people to make wise choices and overall improve the game.

I don't know about you, but I sure would like to see a QB pass for over 4000 yards. Shoulda hired someone like Tanesha long ago and maybe we would have had something to get excited about.

LOL. Yeah, that was the problem. Dear lord.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I would focus on building from the bottom up. For the front office positions most of these guys start off as a scout of some sort right? Make sure your new scouts are a diverse group. I'd do that by heavily hiring former players. Players as a group I believe are 70% minority and it makes sense to hire scouts that know the game. Get more diversity in your scouting department and eventually the cream rises to the top.

For coaching same thing. By my count only 23% of coordinator positions were minority last year. Most of those guys are going to be your next HC's. 23% isn't reflective of the league. So start getting those position coaches and quality control jobs and build up from there. Figure out why more minorities aren't going into entry level jobs and help remove barriers. Higher pay for entry level jobs. More outreach, etc. Put more into the pipeline and it rises to the top.

I think the pressure they're applying through the media is GREAT. Everyone knows there is one black HC in the league right now and the NFL is catching flak for it. That's really good. Maybe put out a report every year that lists the percentage of minorities in an organization and list it top to bottom. Publicize the shit out of it. I don't think any organization would want to be stuck at the bottom of that list for several straight years. Embarrass the hell out of the worst offenders.

There really isn't a silver bullet here IMO. I agree it's a problem. It's something I want solved. I am open to any solution that doesn't assign different values to skin color.

They already do that stuff. There is a coaching program where former players can intern in college and the NFL to get experience.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I think Bienemy is a really good example, as well. Pederson and Nagy did the same role as him under Reid and got a HC opportunity. Bienemy has produced better offenses and spent longer developing Mahomes.

And Leftwich and Kellen Moore are really good comps right now as far amount of experience. Leftwich has had better team success, yet many feel Moore is a better candidate. I don't get that one.
People discount Leftwich because of Brady.

I've had the same conversation with people here about McDaniels and Brady too.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
White head coaches get HC jobs without playcalling all the time. Reid himself did not have playcalling experience when he was hired by Philly. It seems to only be a problem if you are black.

And yes the NFL has declared one skin color more valuable than another since only 1 HC is currently black. A policy doesn't change the reality on the ground. Being white is more valuable if you want to be a GM or HC.

Look how people try to compare Nagy and Leftwich when one had 6 games of playcalling and the other around 56 games. Every white OC under an offensive Head Coach is running that HC's offense but it somehow it is only a problem that Leftwich is running Arian's offense.

Brady can get all sorts of white OCs HC jobs like Weis and McDaniels but suddenly Brady made Leftwich. The bar is clearly set higher if you are black.
You can call me out for it, that's fine.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You can call me out for it, that's fine.

I have heard that from multiple people so was not specific to you. I think most times we make up our minds about someone first and then find reasons to justify it. So everyone who compares him to Nagy isnt doing it due to race but some probably do have an unconscious bias.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
They already do that stuff. There is a coaching program where former players can intern in college and the NFL to get experience.
How long has it been going on? This doesn't get fixed overnight.

You agree 23% of coordinators in the league being minority is too low right?

And that's were most of your HC's come from right?

Is there a Rooney rule for coordinators? Position coaches?

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I think that's only for front office positions. They do it through Stanford's business school.

I always thought guys like Mike Brown, Hunter Hillenmeyer, and Alex Brown would be good at that.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Great now allow me to play devil’s advocate.
*puts on capitol riot sunglasses *

WHY WOULD THE NFL FORCE WHITE PEOPLE OUT OF A JOB FOR MINORITIES? THE BEST PERSON SHOULD GET THE JOB IN THESE SCOUTING DEPARTMENTS.

WHO CARES THAT MINORITIES ONLY HAVE 23% OF COORDINATORS JOBS? THE BEST MAN SHOULD GET THE JOB. THE NFL ARE USING REVERSE RACISM. Also they already have those programs. Cream still hasn’t risen

OH NOW THE NFL IS SHAMING MY COWBOYS or insert team here FOR THEIR HIRING PRACTICES? THEY HIRED THE BEST PERSON AVAILABLE.MCCARTHY WON A SUPERBOWL

pinkfloydster

Liked Posts:
LOL. Yeah, that was the problem. Dear lord.

Don't believe me....believe Gary Fencik. He criticized the McCaskeys for hiring people who were agreeable. People you could go play golf with. Sure, he doesn't couch it in terms of race. But race would be a part of it, as would where you grew up, religion, favorite movies, etc. Sorry, man. I know this makes you feel uncomfortable. But it's the truth.

Last edited:

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
People discount Leftwich because of Brady.

I've had the same conversation with people here about McDaniels and Brady too.
Except McDaniels has had two chances and utterly failed on both of them and now is part of talks for a third chance. Meanwhile Leftwich is immediately having his success tied to Brady despite past success

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
Believe it or not, it is helpful in hiring the right people. There are mountains of studies done on hiring practices and inherent bias.

If Polian, George, and Teddy are the only people in the interview process there is a lot of perspective they can miss. They are all older, rich white guys who are not well plugged into current players/coaches and their needs/wants. One of the best ways to give fair looks to a broader base of candidates is to diversify the interview panel. This can help counter the old boys network and bad retread hires.

It's also helpful to have people who will work for a HC/GM be part of the interview, instead of just people the HC/GM will report to. People keep mentioned they don't want Polian to lean too heavily in hiring people he knows. This is one way to counter that.

And for people who know Soup Campbell, they say he is the most plugged in person in the organization to player and coaches needs. Why would you not want his input?

Go ahead and tell me why they shouldn't be a part of the interview process.
If the guy has football knowledge and is plugged into the Bears then I'm fine with him being part of the process.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I think that's only for front office positions. They do it through Stanford's business school.

I always thought guys like Mike Brown, Hunter Hillenmeyer, and Alex Brown would be good at that.
I’d throw Tillman in there too. Man I love me some Charles Tillman

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
*puts on capitol riot sunglasses *

WHY WOULD THE NFL FORCE WHITE PEOPLE OUT OF A JOB FOR MINORITIES? THE BEST PERSON SHOULD GET THE JOB IN THESE SCOUTING DEPARTMENTS.

WHO CARES THAT MINORITIES ONLY HAVE 23% OF COORDINATORS JOBS? THE BEST MAN SHOULD GET THE JOB. THE NFL ARE USING REVERSE RACISM. Also they already have those programs. Cream still hasn’t risen

OH NOW THE NFL IS SHAMING MY COWBOYS or insert team here FOR THEIR HIRING PRACTICES? THEY HIRED THE BEST PERSON AVAILABLE.MCCARTHY WON A SUPERBOWL

I said hire from a diverse pool. I never mentioned forcing people out.

I'm always for hiring the best person.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

They have one for coaching. Tomlin vame out of the program.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
How long has it been going on? This doesn't get fixed overnight.

You agree 23% of coordinators in the league being minority is too low right?

And that's were most of your HC's come from right?

Is there a Rooney rule for coordinators? Position coaches?
For a while. Tomlim came out of the program. It isnt really producing the results you would hope. And yes 23% is low.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I’d throw Tillman in there too. Man I love me some Charles Tillman
If I were running the Bears, Charles Tillman would be the "football guy" that I would lean on. Not only because he'd probably do a great job for me, but also because he just seems like a pleasant guy to be around.

I didn't mention him because I wouldn't want him to be in a position where I'd be mad at him.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
Anyone with half an ounce of familiarity of your posting history knows you aren’t qualified to flip a beef patty on a flat top grill, let alone be in a room with executives helping make decisions for billion dollar sports franchises.

I wouldn’t let you wash my Jeep.
Do you ever have anything intelligent to say? I don't even wash my own jeep and I highly doubt you can drive let alone own a vehicle. You don't like me and I don't like you. So why don't you quit being a ass and I'll quit too, then we can forget each other by this time tommorrow.