Minority Hires & Draft Picks

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Again what in your opinion is qualified people? Why is Leftwich less qualified than Moore? Why is Bienemy still looking for an HC interview while McDaniels is lined for multiple? Why is Reggie McKenzie not as hot as a name as Ireland despite him really being the one who built that Raiders team? Plenty of minorities are “qualified “ they just aren’t giving chances??‍♂️
Leftwich vs Moore (no one has been hired yet)

McDaniels has a resume 5 times longer than Bienemy (fact)

Ireland is a "hot" name? Really?

Can we just wait and see what happens this go around? Then bitch afterwards if it doesn't go how you want?

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
It's not a solution. It's literally changing the rules of the game based on skin color. Sorry, it's racist. Not backing down or changing my mind. It honestly makes me sad people disagree.
I don’t disagree, I asked for your solution and you gave one that the NFL has already tried and keeps failing. The cream has stayed stagnant

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Go back to my earlier example of Eliot Wolf. He may presently be a great evaluator of talent, and he could be the guy that ultimately brings 12 Super Bowls to the Bears, but doors opened up for him because of his father. To deny otherwise is to put your head in the sand. Most, and it very easily could be all, minority candidates for positions of GM don't start their careers with connections like Eliot Wolf has.

You know what would actually stop decisions being based on race? Making things equal. Do you think, for a single second, that a black/hispanic/asian/female candidate had ANY shot at a job an NFL front office if they were going up against Ron Wolf's kid?

Of course they did. That's obvious. No ones career starts with connects like that. Kid hit the lotto there.

The Bears are interviewing him. So should all the minorities just not apply?

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Of course they did. That's obvious. No ones career starts with connects like that. Kid hit the lotto there.

The Bears are interviewing him. So should all the minorities just not apply?
That's not my point, and I think you know it's not, but you're so cemented into your position.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I don’t disagree, I asked for your solution and you gave one that the NFL has already tried and keeps failing. The cream has stayed stagnant

Then smarter people than us can figure it out.

I don't think enough pressure has been put on the NFL though. If there aren't several minority HC's hired this offseason I think shit hits the fan. Deservedly so.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Can we just wait and see what happens this go around? Then bitch afterwards if it doesn't go how you want?
No I getting a head start

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
That's not my point, and I think you know it's not, but you're so cemented into your position.
Then I don't know your point. I asked you for your point yesterday on something and you didn't answer that either. Sorry we aren't on the same wavelength.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Imagine the guy that gun ho about us not drafting a QB because Matt Barkley is the truth telling others they are not qualified to talk football.

You know a post history is bad when you still forget about the Matt Barkley takes hahaha

Do you ever have anything intelligent to say? I don't even wash my own jeep and I highly doubt you can drive let alone own a vehicle. You don't like me and I don't like you. So why don't you quit being a ass and I'll quit too, then we can forget each other by this time tommorrow.
Oh no, don't insult my ability to drive! Sure you have a Jeep. Stop trying to be like me. You'll never be @Anytime23, Lance Stone Award winning poster.
TBF i also wouldn't let him wash my Tonka Truck if i owned one.

Also, Screenshot 2021-12-21 174926.jpg

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Is this all you sad pathitic people have? LMFAO. I'm not gonna necro your threads because I have a life and you don't matter to me. But I think it's sad that you put effort into something so unimportant. I'm just a guy on the internet who has no say in anything Bears related and so are you. We have both gotten some right and some wrong. And neither matter the tiniest bit. But you go on being the tiny man and I'll keep being above such.

You dont think it is is tiny to presume someone doesnt know football simply because they have a Diversity role?

I at least have interacted with you on here and have evidenced of your stupidity. By contrast you are bashing people you know jack shit about simply because your politics are such that you presume anything diversity related is wrong.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Then smarter people than us can figure it out.

I don't think enough pressure has been put on the NFL though. If there aren't several minority HC's hired this offseason I think shit hits the fan. Deservedly so.
what shit will hit what fan?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

McDaniels resume when he got his first HC job was that he was an OC for 4 years. So roughly the same experience as Leftwich and Eric B.

thenewguy

Liked Posts:
I would focus on building from the bottom up. For the front office positions most of these guys start off as a scout of some sort right? Make sure your new scouts are a diverse group. I'd do that by heavily hiring former players. Players as a group I believe are 70% minority and it makes sense to hire scouts that know the game. Get more diversity in your scouting department and eventually the cream rises to the top.

For coaching same thing. By my count only 23% of coordinator positions were minority last year. Most of those guys are going to be your next HC's. 23% isn't reflective of the league. So start getting those position coaches and quality control jobs and build up from there. Figure out why more minorities aren't going into entry level jobs and help remove barriers. Higher pay for entry level jobs. More outreach, etc. Put more into the pipeline and it rises to the top.

I think the pressure they're applying through the media is GREAT. Everyone knows there is one black HC in the league right now and the NFL is catching flak for it. That's really good. Maybe put out a report every year that lists the percentage of minorities in an organization and list it top to bottom. Publicize the shit out of it. I don't think any organization would want to be stuck at the bottom of that list for several straight years. Embarrass the hell out of the worst offenders.

There really isn't a silver bullet here IMO. I agree it's a problem. It's something I want solved. I am open to any solution that doesn't assign different values to skin color.
The bottom up needs to happen for both coaching and FO roles, and has been pointed out is happening, but not succeeding. One of the reasons this approach doesn't work is because the same type of people are still doing the interviews and making the hiring decisions. Until a more diverse group of people are in positions to interview and hire, not much is going to change. Not all of that is racism, but unconscious bias is a real thing.

Top down changes need to happen, as well as bottom up development programs. You are on to something with publishing diversity stats and naming and shaming, but actions need to also be applied. The NFL themselves should be putting together interview panels, recommended candidate pools(this is done to a degree), and I know people are going to roll their eyes hard, but unconscious bias and diversity training should be mandatory for coaches and front office roles. When done right, this stuff is eye opening and they should be doing together across teams.

The NFL needs to step in as an HR oversight to encourage the right candidates are coming through and the interview panels are in a position to properly evaluate candidates. It took corporate America a long time to recognize these things, but some changes are slowly starting to happen and there is measurable benefit being discovered.

It would also be helpful if the clown in charge of the NFL wasn't working only at the interest of the owners, who as we all know don't want any of their dirty laundry out in the public, so Goodell's real job #1 is making sure the owners are clean.

Let's face it, the owners obviously don't really care about this issue.

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He was talking about now
I know. I was highlighting that is not the relevant comparison as McDaniels is on his 3rd possible HC gig. The relevant comparison would be his experience level when he got his first HC gig.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
McDaniels was a shit HC. He also recently renegged on a deal to leave and become a HC.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Then I don't know your point. I asked you for your point yesterday on something and you didn't answer that either. Sorry we aren't on the same wavelength.
As for yesterday, the MLK quote expresses his resentment towards people who don't want to be quiet about things.

As for this my point about Wolf, he didn't have to go through half the shit others have had to, both black and white candidates. As I've said, he may be awesome, but he's one of the reasons why we have the Rooney Rule.

thenewguy

Liked Posts:
As for yesterday, the MLK quote expresses his resentment towards people who don't want to be quiet about things.

As for this my point about Wolf, he didn't have to go through half the shit others have had to, both black and white candidates. As I've said, he may be awesome, but he's one of the reasons why we have the Rooney Rule.
This is a really good point. And yes, we get the Kyle Shanahans's and Mcvay's who are success stories, but they were considered wunderkinds because they were given early opportunities and clear paths to succeed. But for every success like theirs, there are countless nepotism examples like Reid, Zimmer, and Belichek's kids given jobs that other people had earned and that path for them may now never exist.

chi

Liked Posts:
This is a really good point. And yes, we get the Kyle Shanahans's and Mcvay's who are success stories, but they were considered wunderkinds because they were given early opportunities and clear paths to succeed. But for every success like theirs, there are countless nepotism examples like Reid, Zimmer, and Belichek's kids given jobs that other people had earned and that path for them may now never exist.
This x10000