Mitchell Trubisky vs. DeShone Kizer: Handling Pressure

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
https://beargoggleson.com/2017/12/22/mitchell-trubisky-vs-deshone-kizer-handling-pressure/

First, we look at sacks. While DeShone Kizer was sacked 31 times to just 25 for Trubisky, Trubisky played in three fewer games. Therefore it will be looked at in percentages.

While you can find blame in all 11 players as a cohesive group for unit breakdowns, usually there is one thing that sets that off the chain reaction or one area that can take the majority of the blame on a particular play. For example, the plays below would be coverage sacks for Trubisky and Kizer.

ri885u.png

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/mitchell-trubisky?id=2558008

Remember on his NFL Draft Profile he was criticized for...

Too willing to float balls rather than air-mailing them out of bounds when he's making a bail-out throw against pressure.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Can't open that site from work. Copy pasta or gtfo. Pliz.

Dejo

Godfather of FTO
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Real Salt Lake
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Utah Jazz
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Utah Utes
I cannot fault Trubisky on those sacks, the OL practiced the 7 step drop with him. What in the hell.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I can. He's gotten better at it but when you look at totals, there's a lot of balls in his earlier games that could have been thrown away instead of taking a sack. That said, he also did throw a lot away that were counted as bad tosses when the line and WR core were both in disarray. That his pocket presence was an issue in his 1st 1/2 dozen games doesn't concern me as long as it continues to improve as it has since then.

Even though Kizer is younger, he should be better in that regard since he wasn't completely new to taking snaps under center and had a couple years of starts coming out but he still isn't throwing it away enough which has added to his INT total.

Mjiton

Liked Posts:
From the pic I see at the 40yd line a receiver breaking back across the field at the top of the field. Leading him to the middle might get him blasted but he has a step on the coverage.

However if that is a curl or comeback route then it might not be open as I can't really see the defenders foot placement if he is set to recover.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
From the pic I see at the 40yd line a receiver breaking back across the field at the top of the field. Leading him to the middle might get him blasted but he has a step on the coverage.

However if that is a curl or comeback route then it might not be open as I can't really see the defenders foot placement if he is set to recover.

Correct, that play was not a coverage sack like the writer claims. Bellamy runs open across the middle of the field, and the deep safety actually falls down in the next frame. It would have been a touchdown, but Kyle Long was bull rushed into Trubisky, and Trubisky didn’t do a good job sliding in the pocket and never saw it.

a9jctbN.jpg

Mjiton

Liked Posts:
Correct, that play was not a coverage sack like the writer claims. Bellamy runs open across the middle of the field, and the deep safety actually falls down in the next frame. It would have been a touchdown, but Kyle Long was bull rushed into Trubisky, and Trubisky didn’t do a good job sliding in the pocket and never saw it.

a9jctbN.jpg

Oh it's that play okay. Passing lane obscured. So I will regurgitate my post from that thread. Draft OL in the 1st 3 rounds.

Nail Polish

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Dont sugar coat it..Trubisky holds the ball too long..Hopefully, he will outgrow that....But for now, it is what it is..He could have thrown 3-4 of the sacks away today

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Dont sugar coat it..Trubisky holds the ball too long..Hopefully, he will outgrow that....But for now, it is what it is..He could have thrown 3-4 of the sacks away today

Except it’s not too big of a deal because he doesn’t force the ball. Usually holding onto the ball too long causes poor decisions which lead to INTs.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Do you even understand how throwaways work? You're talking about intentional grounding unless he could safely airmail a ball past coverage in the area of a receiver. If he can't escape the pocket to throw it away its intentional grounding. Doesn't help when the offensive line gives up up to 4 free rushers for a sack. I honestly wonder what you're watching because the o-line played like shit a lot today.

Nail Polish

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Do you even understand how throwaways work? You're talking about intentional grounding unless he could safely airmail a ball past coverage. If he can't escape the pocket to throw it away its intentional grounding. Doesn't help when the offensive line gives up up to 4 free rushers for a sack. I honestly wonder what you're watching because the o-line played like shit a lot today.

Maybe throw the ball into the ground in front of a receiver or at the feet of a RB? Quarterbacks actually do that ya know..Avoiding sacks is a big part of QBing

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Maybe throw the ball into the ground in front of a receiver or at the feet of a RB? Quarterbacks actually do that ya know..Avoiding sacks is a big part of QBing

You really have no concept of throwing lanes do you.

Nail Polish

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You really have no concept of throwing lanes do you.

OK...You like sacks..I dont...Other QB's manage,he should also..Enjoy your sacks...The bottom line is, he was sacked 5 times today..He could have saved some of those by simply tossing the ball away safely

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
OK...You like sacks..I dont...Other QB's manage,he should also..Enjoy your sacks

Look, show me a play where he gets sacked then show me a throwing lane where he can do what you just said and by all means rip him for that. Otherwise you're talking shit for the sake of talking shit. I've said it plenty of times, I have no problems with picking apart his mistakes and deficiencies. Bad analysis is another thing entirely.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
jail breaks have you holding the ball instead of throwing it up for grabs while getting hit before it's out like Kizer. Trubisky's progression is impressing me. He's got a lead. Why take any risk?

Nail Polish

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Look, show me a play where he gets sacked then show me a throwing lane where he can do what you just said and by all means rip him for that. Otherwise you're talking shit for the sake of talking shit. I've said it plenty of times, I have no problems with picking apart his mistakes and deficiencies. Bad analysis is another thing entirely.

Trubisky holds the ball too long..deny and spin all ya want, but thats the bottom line..I hope he outgrows it, but for now, thats him

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Every QB would hold the ball to long for you with that makeshift line. He has done so in the past but he did well today. He wasn't perfect but no QB ever is.