Mitchell Trubisky vs. DeShone Kizer: Handling Pressure

Madden

Liked Posts:
Trubisky holds the ball too long..deny and spin all ya want, but thats the bottom line..I hope he outgrows it, but for now, thats him

He does seem to hold it long. I wonder how much blame is on Loggains, routes, and our shitty WR's failure to get open quickly. Good offenses always seem to have at least 1 quick short throw option. Why can't Cohen just always be available for a swing checkdown like Forte used to do? Howard and Cohen should both in the backfield at the same time way more. Howard could then stay in to help block or be available for play action to fake out the D and create space for the WR's/TE/Cohen. Maybe give Cohen more runs also cause it seems opposing defenses just key on his passing routes whenever he checks in because he only gets like 2 running attempts a game.

Hopefully new coaches, better WR's, and more Mitch experience will help the holding issue. I like that he can run it when things aren't there though. Would rather him do that than throw it away or a pick, as long as he continues to be smart about sliding and not taking big hits. I also don't think he's staring down one WR often, he seems to go through progressions which is a good sign going forward.

I mean if all the WR's are covered and there is no open checkdown option, the only options are to

1. run
2. stand still - while waiting for WR's to get open (high sack risk, feet planted so better qb accuracy usually)
3. move around pocket to buy more time - while waiting for WR's to get open (lower sack risk, moving feet so less qb accuracy usually)
4. force a tight throw (high risk of INT, but good WR's can help win 50/50 balls more often or at least prevent a pick)
5. throw it away

Good Qb's master the art of knowing which one to do on any given play.

Mitch is doing #1 more lately which is nice because running is a legit aspect of his game. #2 most of the time which causes him to take a lot of sacks. He did #3 more when our OL didn't suck and had time to move while still looking for WR's. Has done #4 on occasion, mainly the 3 INT game. And pretty much never throws it away #5.

Mjiton

Liked Posts:
Even the Browns are indeed paid to try

:smug2:

Browns have to be a testament to how much coaching and their schemes factor into a game. With the sheer amount of high draft pick talent loaded onto that team over the coarse of time you would think they could just fall into more than 1 win in 2 years.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Sorry, but before 2013 Rodgers was almost always behind a dumpster fire of an offensive line.

Man, you always get me on these. Gotta be more specific when posting just for you haha.

I was talking about over the last 3-4 years when he has seemed to have all day to throw the ball on many occasions. Their struggles have normally been associated with injuries more than talent.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This is something Mitch needs to be better at period! Knowing when to throw away instead of holding and taking the sack. Sacks can kill a drive just as much as stupid penalties do. Even with better WRs there will be times that they are covered, he needs to know where to throw it away instead of lossing yards on the sack.

Not arguing with this over the season but this is not the game to bring it up. One where he led the team in rushing yards and the the sacks happened quickly with no place to step up or throw comfortably. He had enough presence to be our co-leading rusher but I guess BearsBud would rather he threw those away.

The one sack that I suspect some have issue with is where he thought he had escaped by stepping up and got grabbed by his ankle. I personally don't want him throwing that when a Defender can yank on his leg. 4:30 here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk_fIrjnIGE&feature=onebox. Guy is double teamed and just picks Grasu to wipe out and crawl over. No way Mitch expects pressure from there after stepping up or is there any way to see him crawling from behind. The kind of sacks he took this game are the same ones good experienced QBs take. They happen.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Mind showing me these analysts that said Kizer was more NFL ready than Watson? I distinctly remember people saying Watson was the most NFL ready QB.

I remember Watson being touted as the most NFL-ready, but also a big question mark on accuracy and ability to be a pocket passer. He seems to have surpassed expectations as far as that’s concerned.

Although I do remember a consensus forming the closer we got to the draft, that Trubisky ultimately was the best prospect with the best chance to have the best career, no matter how many people here try to deny it. That’s why I ultimately can’t blame Pace for picking Trubisky with Watson still on the board, even if Watson has an incredible career.

ADDED LATER:

Pretty interesting to actually go back and look at the old mock drafts. In every fairly reputable final mock draft I could find, Trubisky was taken first, with the other QBs varying. Early mock drafts were all over the board, but final mock drafts seemed to reach a fair consensus that it was Trubisky, then probably Watson, then Mahomes, with Kizer out of the picture. I got the below just from Googling “2017 mock draft” and “2017 final mock draft”.

In January 2017:

Walter Football:

Kizer #2
Trubisky #6
Mahomes #22
No one else in the first round

Todd McShay:

Trubisky #30

SB Nation:

Trubisky #2
Watson #10
Kizer #13

Final mock drafts:

Mayock:

Trubisky #5
Watson #25
Mahomes #32

NBC Sports:

Trubisky #12
Mahomes #13
Watson #25

Fox Sports:

Trubisky #4
Watson #6
Mahomes #13

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I remember Watson being touted as the most NFL-ready, but also a big question mark on accuracy and ability to be a pocket passer. He seems to have surpassed expectations as far as that’s concerned.

Although I do remember a consensus forming the closer we got to the draft, that Trubisky ultimately was the best prospect with the best chance to have the best career, no matter how many people here try to deny it. That’s why I ultimately can’t blame Pace for picking Trubisky with Watson still on the board, even if Watson has an incredible career.

ADDED LATER:

Pretty interesting to actually go back and look at the old mock drafts. In every fairly reputable final mock draft I could find, Trubisky was taken first, with the other QBs varying. Early mock drafts were all over the board, but final mock drafts seemed to reach a fair consensus that it was Trubisky, then probably Watson, then Mahomes, with Kizer out of the picture. I got the below just from Googling “2017 mock draft” and “2017 final mock draft”.

In January 2017:

Walter Football:

Kizer #2
Trubisky #6
Mahomes #22

Todd McShay:

Trubisky #30

SB Nation:

Trubisky #2
Watson #10
Kizer #13

Final mock drafts:

Mayock:

Trubisky #5
Watson #25
Mahomes #32

NBC Sports:

Trubisky #12
Mahomes #13
Watson #25

Fox Sports:

Trubisky #4
Watson #6
Mahomes #13

Oh trust me, even though I wanted Watson I am not going there nor was I going there at all with that question. It was purely about analysts' takes on who was the most NFL ready at the time of the draft. I'm beyond on record as saying I was always going to put my full support behind whomever Pace drafted at QB, I simply wanted Pace to finally nut up and pick one.