**MLB Draft Thread**

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Reading more and more stuff pointing to the Astros looking to draft UNC's Colin Moran. Their rationale is that he'd likely fall to the 4-8 range, where bonus money is hovering around $3.75-4MM, as opposed to what they'd have to offer Appel or Gray. They're wanting to hold onto more money for rounds 2 through 4.

Which means the Cubs should have a phenomenal chance to landdddddddd.....................................

Mark-Appel-Stanford-Daily.jpg
:fap:

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Oh, and if you didn't get the hint on who I want the Cubs to draft -- it's fucking Mark Appel.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Next Mark Prior, I swear.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Another note -- Indiana State's Sean Manaea has dropped drastically over the last month or so due to a hip flexor injury. He dominated the Cape Cod League last year and was a certified lock to go in the top 10. Now? Most mock drafts don't have him going in the first round. How would you guys feel about taking a flier on him with our second round selection?

It wasn't long ago that Indiana State left-hander Sean Manaea was considered to be a potential No. 1 overall pick in this year's draft. Manaea dominated the Cape Cod League last summer, and scouts were enamored by the big lefty's size, velocity, slider and command. This season, a hip flexor issue has led to less-than-stellar results, and it's caused his draft stock to slip. MLB.com's Jonathan Mayo writes that Manaea could be the biggest wild card in the draft and makes the near-impossible task of creating an accurate mock draft that much more difficult.

Mayo also spoke with Manaea's advisor -- the infamous Scott Boras. Boras told Mayo that teams will not get Manaea at a discount if he falls in the draft, because the hip issue isn't serious nor is it permanent:

"I’m going to put a value on these kids, because medically, I know they’re fine. It’s illustrated it’s temporary and will be resolved. There’s no shoulder or elbow problem. He had a hip flexor problem. He was instructed, you can go pitch, you’re not going to hurt yourself.”

Boras suggested that it would be "crazy" for teams to let this issue get in the way of drafting Manaea. As many have come to expect from the always quotable Boras, he even tried to spin it as a positive by pointing out that the injury limited the mileage on Manaea's arm by limiting his innings.

In Mayo's most recent mock draft, he had Manaea going to the Cardinals at No. 19 overall. The recommended bonus for that slot, he notes, is $2.0558MM, but if Boras' comments are any indication, Manaea will require a far greater bonus to sign.

If he falls far enough, Manaea strikes me as an ideal target for a team that drafts a player who can be signed significantly below slot-value with its first pick. Should Manaea fall out of the first round, a team could employ a strategy similar to that of the Astros last season, when they signed Carlos Correa well below slot value at No. 1 overall and then landed Lance McCullers Jr. in the supplemental round and Rio Ruiz in the fourth round. All of that, of course, is speculation. As Mayo noted, Manaea argubaly represents the draft's biggest wild card.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think everyone would be thrilled with him in the second round, but most of us doubt that he lasts beyond the supplemental round. And if manages to make it past that point, the Astros are poised to take him ahead of us. The Stros whole draft strategy is based around being able to go overslot in the second and third rounds.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
John Heyman......

Gray, a top draft prospect, fails MLB test for stimulant Adderall
June 3, 2013 5:02 pm CT

Righthander pitcher Jonathan Gray, a 100-mph-throwing University of Oklahoma ace who's widely considered one of the top three draft-eligible amateur players in the country, failed an MLB test for the stimulant Adderall, team sources said.

Test results are sent to the 30 teams, so all are aware of the result.

There is no penalty for a failed test for a draft-eligible player such as Gray. Major Leaguers receive a 25-game ban for a second failure for a stimulant, though not a first one.

Gray, junior at OU, is believed to be the only one of 200 draft-eligible players to have failed for any drug. The top 200 players are tested by MLB to provide information for teams before Thursday's amateur draft.

A phone message left for his agent wasn't immediately returned.

Major Leaguers can apply for a therapeutic use exemption that exempts players with certain conditions from being tested for drugs deemed necessary for certain conditions, and it is estimated that about 100 major-league players have a T.U.E., many which allow stimulants to combat various conditions, including ADD and other conditions.

There is no indication that a failure for a stimulant might affect a prospect's draft attractiveness or negotiating leverage. Gray is considered by most to be among the top three players, along with Stanford University righthander Mark Appel and University of San Diego slugging third baseman Kris Bryant.

“I don't think it's that big a deal,'' one GM said. “The kid may have (a condition).''

Gray was originally picked by the Yankees out of junior college but turned down a bonus ffered believed to be for abut $500,000. He is widely expected to get 10 times that, or more, after showing vast improvement as a Sooner. He has been clocked many times at 100 miles per hour, and scouts marvel how he can carry that velocity late into games.

The Astros have the first picked, followed by the Cubs, Rockies, Twins and Indians.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Yeah, I'm a Rizzo fan, and a Cashner fan from his time here...But to those that think we'd be far better off w/ Cash instead of Rizzo -- what's your basis on that? Not trolling or anything, legit question. He's a nice piece, but hasn't shown me he's a #2 starter on a good team. :shrug:

This whole rebuild is based on potential.

People :fap::fap::fap::fap::fap: all over Rizzo cause they think he could end up being the next Prince Fielder.

Well Cashner still has the ability to be a top of the rotation starter.

Those are much harder to come by than even elite hitting 1B. But that doesn't fit the agenda of the #TheoSpankFest. Potential only counts when it fits their arguments.

You say Cashner hasn't shown you that he is a #2 starter on a good team.

I say Rizzo hasn't shown me he is an above average major league 1B.

He is WELL behind other young 1B in the NL like Paul Goldschmidt (who I got mocked for saying got signed to a much better deal) and Freddie Freeman.

Hell Rizzo's OPS is about equal to Luis Valbuena, and he is a dime a dozen as he was released last year by Toronto at the age of 26.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Stickied. Just a couple more days.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
This whole rebuild is based on potential.

People :fap::fap::fap::fap::fap: all over Rizzo cause they think he could end up being the next Prince Fielder.

Well Cashner still has the ability to be a top of the rotation starter.

Those are much harder to come by than even elite hitting 1B. But that doesn't fit the agenda of the #TheoSpankFest. Potential only counts when it fits their arguments.

You say Cashner hasn't shown you that he is a #2 starter on a good team.

I say Rizzo hasn't shown me he is an above average major league 1B.

He is WELL behind other young 1B in the NL like Paul Goldschmidt (who I got mocked for saying got signed to a much better deal) and Freddie Freeman.

Hell Rizzo's OPS is about equal to Luis Valbuena, and he is a dime a dozen as he was released last year by Toronto at the age of 26.

How is he well behind? Goldschmidt is 2 years older than him and is having a tremendous season, but last year was right there with Rizzo. Rizzo also has the same power as Goldschmidt. Freeman is the same age and has less power then Rizzo. These are all very good first baseman going forward. Rizzo is doing well at the plate except for average overall. He also has no one around him. Soriano hasnt hit his power streak. Castro isnt being normal Castro. He is a good young first baseman. I dont know why you act like he is trash at 23.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Law speculates that Gray could be more attractive to the Astros, who have the first pick, and the Cubs, who have the second pick, as the positive test could prompt him to sign for a discount, freeing up allotted slot money to use with picks later in the draft.

Law currently projects the Astros will take North Carolina third baseman Colin Moran first, with the Cubs taking Stanford right-hander Mark Appel. He has Gray sliding to Minnesota fourth overall. That mock draft was posted before the Adderall report.

The draft begins on Thursday.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...right-hander-mark-appel-mock-draft-first-pick

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I wouldn't go after Gray now. No one heard of him until this year when he starts blasting up the charts and now he pops with Adderall.

Unless he is permitted to take it as a major league player I'd pass on him.

http://www.drugs.com/adderall.html

What is Adderall?

Adderall contains a combination of amphetamine and dextroamphetamine. Both these medicines are central nervous system stimulants that affect chemicals in the brain and nerves that contribute to hyperactivity and impulse control.

Adderall is used to treat narcolepsy and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).

Adderall may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
He popped an Addy to go party one night or to study. Tons of college kids take it. Its not that big of a deal. I find it kind of dumb that MLB bans it. Doctors give addy scripts out like they are candy.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
He popped an Addy to go party one night or to study. Tons of college kids take it. Its not that big of a deal. I find it kind of dumb that MLB bans it. Doctors give addy scripts out like they are candy.

There has to be a reasoning to it where is increases performance. If it didn't increase performance there would be no reason to ban it.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
There has to be a reasoning to it where is increases performance. If it didn't increase performance there would be no reason to ban it.

It helps you focus, I'm sure you can see where that can help a player in baseball.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Depending, I dont have ADHD and I have taken it to go out with my friends. It doesnt make me focus just speeds my body up. Players took Greenies forever and it isnt much different. A ton of college kids take it. I mean a ton. Hell, at LSU, those things can go for over 10 dollars a pill. Some people really do need it, but most just take it for isolated incidents like partying or studying. A good bit of NFL players got hit as well because of Addy.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Well if it gets a guy to go from 94 MPH to 100 MPH it would be cheating.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Checking Bryant's stats this year: 228 AB 31 HR. 1 in 7.35 AB. 66 BB. 44 SO. Video game stuff. .329/.493/.820 Wa Dee FAQ. Dude is putting up McGuier numbers.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
.....wouldn't surprise me if they took him. Those are some disgusting numbers to pass on.