**MLB Draft Thread**

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wish the MLB would try to make the draft more of an event, like the NBA or NFL, would be nice to actually turn on ESPN and watch it a bit.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Tough call. They might take Gray with him piping on Addy so they can lowball him and spend more late round. I'm about 60% they take Grey 40% they take Bryant. Appel should be on the board at 2. Now if it is Grey/Appel I'm taking Appel. If it is Bryant/Appel....OMG that is a tough choice. Wait for a pure #4 hitter with 40 HR power or a top of the rotation RH.....there is no wrong answer here.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Wish the MLB would try to make the draft more of an event, like the NBA or NFL, would be nice to actually turn on ESPN and watch it a bit.

Think it will be on MLB network. I'll watch it after my work out tomorrow. If they blow this pick and go for someone like Moran I'm over it. Or if they take Gray so they can lowball him...dumb really. To be honest the biggest impact player has to be a guy that hit 30 HR's and walked more then he struck out. Don't matter where he plays on the field.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
Think it will be on MLB network. I'll watch it after my work out tomorrow. If they blow this pick and go for someone like Moran I'm over it. Or if they take Gray so they can lowball him...dumb really. To be honest the biggest impact player has to be a guy that hit 30 HR's and walked more then he struck out. Don't matter where he plays on the field.

I don't get that, MLB draft is never a big deal in the world of sports.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

Yeah, takes too long for the majority of impact players to get to the bigs, and a vast majority never make it there. :shrug:

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:

Well logically, people won't see the top draft choices for a year to as much as 5 years or if they ever make the club at all.

Football and basketball draft choices can start to make an impact with the new team immediately. They don't get sent down to the minors to learn the game, learn how to hit with a wooden bat, pitch, and so on....

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Yeah, takes too long for the majority of impact players to get to the bigs, and a vast majority never make it there. :shrug:

Does the staff always win when their is a tie in the post? :tongue:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
There is also 40 rounds to sort through. But not much hype to watch a minor league draft. There is more interest when guys like Stras and Harper were up because they were close to impact players.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's kind of puzzling sometimes, that's for sure.

CherokeeReds

Liked Posts:

I've been reading some posters here, I'm pretty sure no drafted players make it to the majors, ever. :smh:

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
I've been reading some posters here, I'm pretty sure no drafted players make it to the majors, ever. :smh:

I am pretty sure not one person has said anything even remotely close to that, ever.

Freaking crybaby.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Draft dayyyyyyyyyy!

There'll be some great storylines this year. Very excited to see the direction the Cubs take later this evening. Pleaseeeeeee God, draft Mark Appel.

mark-appel.jpg

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I am pretty sure not one person has said anything even remotely close to that, ever.

Freaking crybaby.

come on, that was mildly humorous....

and, no need to call names. :eek:

patg006

Liked Posts:

I can see why kb always called you 'idiotreds.' dumbest thing you've "contributed" to date.

[video=youtube;85V1Xewv20k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85V1Xewv20k[/video]

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Draft dayyyyyyyyyy!

There'll be some great storylines this year. Very excited to see the direction the Cubs take later this evening. Pleaseeeeeee God, draft Mark Appel.

mark-appel.jpg

Not sure:

Mark Appel gambled on himself by refusing to sign with the Pirates, and it looks like it's about to pay off, writes Jon Heyman of CBS Sports. Heyman adds that there's been extra suggestion of late that the Astros could select Appel first overall this time around. Appel will surely seek "at least" the $7.79MM slot value with the first overall pick, writes Heyman.

The "he will take 7.79M slot value" might make the Cubs shy away.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/assigned-pick-values-for-top-10-rounds/

Astros: 7,790,400
Cubs: 6,708,400

That is 1 mil less towards the rest of the top 10 picks.

Overall budget for the Cubs: 10,556,500 Mil

Also from Callis, left-hander Sean Manaea's medical records indicated a labrum tear in his hip. This latest injury concern causes Callis to drop the Indiana State product out of his first round mock entirely, though Callis has heard that teams with mid-first round picks like the Pirates or Phillies could potentially take Manaea.

I can see the Cubs taking Bryant with the 6.7mil Slot if the stroes take Grey under slot. Especially if Appel wants an 8 mil figure which leaves 2mil to cover the other 9 picks.

But if Manaea drops to the 2nd round I'd have to take him and gamble on him getting healthy.

Now if the stroes take Bryant and Appel wants 8 mil off of the Cubs I believe the Cubs will take Gray and try to under slot him like the stroes did last year.

This might become a money issue. Appel is not so separate of a #1 pick this time around where playing the greed card may screw with him.

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
I am not seeing the Cubs take Appel any more. Boras in full effect.

Bryant will be the choice, then a run on pitching.

Tuggers

UPDATE- There was a lot of buzz Wednesday evening that the Cubs were closing in on a deal with Appel at No. 2,- Callis

light at the end of the tunnel!!:elephant:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

Tuggers
Bryant is represented by Boras as well.

Willrust

Liked Posts:
Take Bryant. If Wood, Feldman and Villanueva can have success as SP for the Cubs, they should be able to find pitching adequate enough to fill out the rotation. *Arms (in the draft) are too risky.

I will agree with Pat, take Bryant in the 1st, Puk or Manaea in the 2nd, then a Catcher in the 3rd. After that, it should be about the best Pitcher or Catcher available.

patg006

Liked Posts:

Tuggers

UPDATE- There was a lot of buzz Wednesday evening that the Cubs were closing in on a deal with Appel at No. 2,- Callis

light at the end of the tunnel!!:elephant:

Dumb...

The best player period 2 years running falls to their laps twice and they're going to walk away because of Scott Boras? Free agents will note that the cubs are being cheap......well at least the good ones worth having.

Appel at 2, Jon Denney at 41. Best pitcher, 3rd best catcher, if he falls. I dont know the market on teams needing an all around great bat, great defense catcher.

Keep this simple.....I'd be a happy camper