#MLBFrontOffice: What's next for the Cubs?

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
#fullbrett05

Ironic.

Anyway, the Cubs should be looking FA first and if that fails trading second. While I am not a believer in their pitching potential in the minors, I think they'd be best served by trying FA first. Theo's #1 priority should be a top flight FA pitcher. Theo should place the vast majority of resources into that and get it done as quickly as possible.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Wrong.

Anyway, the Cubs should be looking FA first and if that fails trading second. While I am not a believer in their pitching potential in the minors, I think they'd be best served by trying FA first. Theo's #1 priority should be a top flight FA pitcher. Theo should place the vast majority of resources into that and get it done as quickly as possible.
Yes. He should sign Greinke, if possible.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
There have been some reports over the weekend that seem to indicate that if the Cubs do pursue a top FA pitcher like Price, Cueto or Greinke that they would do so only after being relatively sure that they won't be able to extend Arrieta. If they do feel that Arrieta can't be extended and they miss out on one of the big guns you might end up seeing a crazy trade for a TOR pitcher or one that's very close to being that. That whole scenario makes a lot of sense actually. Unfortunately if they do have to make a big trade for a starter they might have to give up somebody they don't want to trade. A lot of national reporters and even some in New York feelt that the World Series is Matt Harvey's swan song as a member of the Mets and Chicago is as likely a landing spot as any but I'm not so sure is I don't think Theo is going to want to have the same signing challenges with Scott Boras two years in a row. This winter is gong to be fascinating.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
There have been some reports over the weekend that seem to indicate that if the Cubs do pursue a top FA pitcher like Price, Cueto or Greinke that they would do so only after being relatively sure that they won't be able to extend Arrieta. If they do feel that Arrieta can't be extended and they miss out on one of the big guns you might end up seeing a crazy trade for a TOR pitcher or one that's very close to being that. That whole scenario makes a lot of sense actually. Unfortunately if they do have to make a big trade for a starter they might have to give up somebody they don't want to trade. A lot of national reporters and even some in New York feelt that the World Series is Matt Harvey's swan song as a member of the Mets and Chicago is as likely a landing spot as any but I'm not so sure is I don't think Theo is going to want to have the same signing challenges with Scott Boras two years in a row. This winter is gong to be fascinating.

Because of age, and the findings of Shark, you almost think it's in everyone's best interest for Jake to sign long term now. I am thinking 6/150 with some incentives. But even with that they need another pitcher at least in the mold of Zimmerman.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Because of age, and the findings of Shark, you almost think it's in everyone's best interest for Jake to sign long term now. I am thinking 6/150 with some incentives. But even with that they need another pitcher at least in the mold of Zimmerman.

The feeling is that Arrieta and Boras want to start negotiations at 7/$210 and might not want to go down much. I think they need two new starters on top of Arrieta so the whole thing is very contingent on what they do with him. I'd be fine with Samardzija in FA and Carlos Carrasco in trade both of which seem very doable but if Arrieta isn't going to extend that changes the equation.

I've said this before but it's worth repeating. Everything in pitchers salaries hinges on Price this year. If he's looking for the $230-$250 million that some are bandying about then it's going to be a crazy market with even Samardzija and Kazmir getting much bigger contracts than their body of work suggests. Then there are some that think that fit is the most important factor for Price and that he might consider that over the huge, huge money. He's represented by Bo McKinnis who, while not as well known, is right up there with Boras in getting his clients paid but unlike Boras he emphasises fit over max dollars with his clients. Sometimes they get the max dollars anyway though. If Price decides that he'd like to stay in Toronto or likes the fit in San Francisco maybe he'd leave some money on the table. some of suggested that the MLBPA might lobby him against that notion as it would cost nearly ever FA pitcher under him money. As a i said the whole thing is going to be fascinating and Price is the key.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I'd be more than happy with an off-season of Shark and Carrasco. Also, it isn't like Arrieta is a FA at the end of this next season. It isn't the time to push the panic button and make a big trade because they couldn't come to terms with him. Happ would be a decent fit for this team, too, IMHO.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
I was listening to sports radio this weekend -- can't remember if it was 670AM or 1000ESPN. One of the hosts said you can book it, Shark to the Cubs on a 1-year deal between $11M - $13M. Plus the trade acquisition of a guy like Tyson Ross, Carrasco, etc.

At this point, I think its unlikely we seriously pursue Price, Cueto, Grienke, or Zimmerman.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
I'd be more than happy with an off-season of Shark and Carrasco. Also, it isn't like Arrieta is a FA at the end of this next season. It isn't the time to push the panic button and make a big trade because they couldn't come to terms with him. Happ would be a decent fit for this team, too, IMHO.

Wouldn't you rather have Ross than Carrasco?

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Wouldn't you rather have Ross than Carrasco?

No, with all things being equal I think I'd rather have Carrasco who has one more year of control. Their numbers are similar and both have potential to improve. That said if Castro and prospects yields Ross I'd rather make that move though as opposed to a Soler led deal for Carrasco.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I was listening to sports radio this weekend -- can't remember if it was 670AM or 1000ESPN. One of the hosts said you can book it, Shark to the Cubs on a 1-year deal between $11M - $13M. Plus the trade acquisition of a guy like Tyson Ross, Carrasco, etc.

At this point, I think its unlikely we seriously pursue Price, Cueto, Grienke, or Zimmerman.

Why would he sign that deal as opposed to taking the QO from the White Sox which I think would be $16.5 mil? Unless of course someone is getting indications that the White Sox won't offer the QO for fear he might accept it. I think he's very likely to be a Cubs player but a 4 year deal seems a lot more likely.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
Why would he sign that deal as opposed to taking the QO from the White Sox which I think would be $16.5 mil? Unless of course someone is getting indications that the White Sox won't offer the QO for fear he might accept it. I think he's very likely to be a Cubs player but a 4 year deal seems a lot more likely.

Yeah but Shark could fetch much more on a 4-year deal next year when he bounces back under Bosio. Seems like a bad idea to sign a 4 year deal after such a horrible season.

Even if he was offered the QO, why would he want to go back to such a bad situation with the WS? Him and Don Cooper are a terrible fit and the team sucks.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
No, with all things being equal I think I'd rather have Carrasco who has one more year of control. Their numbers are similar and both have potential to improve. That said if Castro and prospects yields Ross I'd rather make that move though as opposed to a Soler led deal for Carrasco.
Why would Soler be required for Carrasco?

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:

No way Shark takes less than the QO. No chance.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:

On Friday, Jesse Rogers of ESPN 1000 agreed with a caller that is Kyle is traded you have to get at least Sale. So there's that. :lol:

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is the ideal time to get Samardzija back. After the year he had last year, you can get him on the cheap(ish) now.

PickSix

Liked Posts:
Who told you he's being offered the QO?

Would you want to pay a guy $16.5M when his ERA was 5.00?

The answer to the second question is no.
Nor do I want this guy anywhere around the Cubs ever again.