Moon Mullin's take on OTAs

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Some interesting stuff about White...

"So having seen all of White’s pre-camp offseasons, and more than just White’s over the past couple decades, this humble and faithful narrator has learned to temper encouraging observations.

But Wednesday was different. On a couple levels.

White’s straight-ahead deep speed was flat-out startling, the first time this very graceful athlete looked like the one who ran 4.35 at the ’15 Combine. Not necessarily quickness (he’s 6-3, 216 pounds; “quick” is for another discussion). But just raw speed."

continued here:

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/takeaways-bears-ota-good-things-coming-kevin-white

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Sounds like what was expected when White was drafted. He was never going to be the super crisp guy that gets a lot of OTA type short zone space but he was going to be that big target with leverage and speed. Will be nice to finally see what he's got with his legs under him.

Comment in the linked 'under center' podcast below the article.
"Kevin White looks gooood!"

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
Some interesting stuff about White...

"So having seen all of White’s pre-camp offseasons, and more than just White’s over the past couple decades, this humble and faithful narrator has learned to temper encouraging observations.

But Wednesday was different. On a couple levels.

White’s straight-ahead deep speed was flat-out startling, the first time this very graceful athlete looked like the one who ran 4.35 at the ’15 Combine. Not necessarily quickness (he’s 6-3, 216 pounds; “quick” is for another discussion). But just raw speed."

continued here:

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/takeaways-bears-ota-good-things-coming-kevin-white

I heard this on the Bears podcast with Moon and JJ stankovicb (sp?). I'm still rooting for a good Kevin White White comeback/hype story. It all starts with him being fast. Still a long way to go.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Look out, NFC, if the sleeping giant awakens.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
That's good for him. I too hope for a great comeback story.

If our WRs stay healthy, he won't have much to show other teams to demand too much from a new deal next offseason so he would be interested in a one year prove it contract from either the Bears or other teams.

But if WRs drop like flies again, I honestly do hope he starts playing like a top speed WR for the Bears. If he keeps developing, maybe a package with two deep threats to stress the safeties in Gabriel and White. Not something that is every down, not bread-and butter for the offense, but not nothing either.

What I also hope for is that this isn't the best he has as a WR. Hester saved his best WR play for OTAs and TC. I kept getting my hopes up and every year felt that Lucy pulled the ball out from under me. So if any doubters exist, I totally get you all.

Last edited:

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Mr negative said something negative. Who would have thunk it.

It is more realistic than negative.

Can anyone show me a player that played 5 games in 3 years and spent 43 games on IR that ended up having success after that?

If Kevin White becomes successful he would literally be the first to do it.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Look out, NFC, if the sleeping giant awakens.

1438467301680.png

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Can anyone show me a player that played 5 games in 3 years and spent 43 games on IR that ended up having success after that?

Columbo.
Grossman.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
added Rex.
By all accounts, White is much closer to 100% than those two ever were after their injuries. His lack of being able to run or relearn how to after the previous leg injuries may have contributed to the additional dings. All reports say he looks normal now so I'm ready to give him a clean slate.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

I get the realism of the uphill battle, but your reasoning seems flawed. None of that history has much to do with White himself and it strikes me as a bit of the gamblers' fallacy. The previous outcomes do not indicate likelihood of the upcoming outcome. Now I get that we are dealing with flesh and blood and mind et al, not dice. So the anaolgy is not perfect.

But the truth remains is that any reasoning that predicts doom (halftime was completely negative by the way allowing for no other possibility) or any reasoning that predicts success is going to have the same number of unknown variables and the same amount of pure conjecture added in. The extra time in the NFL will assure he doesn't need to shed rookie style nerves but there also exists his mental state which again seems completely unknown for either side here.

Washington

Liked Posts:
So now the questions are - Can he run NFL routes and can he take big boy NFL hits? Glad to hear he still has straight ahead speed.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I get the realism of the uphill battle, but your reasoning seems flawed. None of that history has much to do with White himself and it strikes me as a bit of the gamblers' fallacy. The previous outcomes do not indicate likelihood of the upcoming outcome. Now I get that we are dealing with flesh and blood and mind et al, not dice. So the anaolgy is not perfect.

But the truth remains is that any reasoning that predicts doom (halftime was completely negative by the way allowing for no other possibility) or any reasoning that predicts success is going to have the same number of unknown variables and the same amount of pure conjecture added in. The extra time in the NFL will assure he doesn't need to shed rookie style nerves but there also exists his mental state which again seems completely unknown for either side here.

The difference is that injuries have a cumulative effect. The human body can only take so much abuse and some bodies can take less.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
The difference is that injuries have a cumulative effect. The human body can only take so much abuse and some bodies can take less.

Yes. That didn't nullify my point that your reasoning (no one before has suffered multiple season ending injuries and come back) is flawed. Everything I said still stands.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yes. That didn't nullify my point that your reasoning (no one before has suffered multiple season ending injuries and come back) is flawed. Everything I said still stands.

Exceptions, not rules.

10,000 guys who have had injuries run them out of the NFL.

vs

Marc Columbo

Possible, but highly unlikely.