Mora's blog and McPimp

R K

Shame they couldn't get the Boston reporter not renewed. Since he was the one that initially came out with the QO fiasco and suggestion it wasn't quite as it appeared.

I agree Chris Boden is not that good.

Larmer83

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Interesting to see Mora exonerate McD. As puckjim stated, it sounds more like a boss at Comcast was trying to curry favor with the Hawks by not renewing Mora. One thing I would have done if McD is figure out which staff members have a direct view of the office room where the meeting took place. Since Mora was told that Tallon left the meeting early and in an angry manner, whoever told Mora that obviously had a direct view of the door Tallon came out of. That's a great lead to find out who leaked the story - you can't have your staff breaking confidentiality and sharing internal things like this with the outside media.

Reading, like listening, is a skill.

He doesn’t know the details because he wasn’t in on any of the discussions, but he knows there was a meeting of all the front office people. He saw the general manager leave, and leave angrily, about an hour before everybody else.

And this...

telling me that the Blackhawks had indeed fired Tallon, who cleaned out his office

Perhaps the source saw Tallon leave after cleaning out his office which occurred after the meeting. Usually the cleaning out of an office or desk is preceeded by the termination meeting.

Kerfuffle

Liked Posts:
Reading, like listening, is a skill.

He doesn’t know the details because he wasn’t in on any of the discussions, but he knows there was a meeting of all the front office people. He saw the general manager leave, and leave angrily, about an hour before everybody else.

And this...

telling me that the Blackhawks had indeed fired Tallon, who cleaned out his office

Perhaps the source saw Tallon leave after cleaning out his office which occurred after the meeting. Usually the cleaning out of an office or desk is preceeded by the termination meeting.

Read this part again --> "....but he knows there was a meeting of all the front office people. He saw the general manager leave, and leave angrily, about an hour before everybody else. He’s been told to clear his schedule for the afternoon, he presumes for a press conference, but to tell no one that he is emptying his schedule."

To me that reads that the meeting took place first, Tallon then walked out of that meeting or was asked to leave and the others remained behind a bit. He then went to clean out his office. That's the sequence of events as it appears when I read this.

FlaHawkFan

Liked Posts:
No... he's more than terrible.
<

MUCH more than terrible. During unscripted pieces (i.e., pretty much the entire pregame, postgame, and intermission stuff) Boden seems to spout words without paying attention to what he's saying, and he doesn't know hockey well enough to get away with it. My husband and I have taken to saying "WORDS!!!" and "I can say WORDS!!!" whenever he appears onscreen.

But back to Mora. That was an interesting blog. I wouldn't be surprised if it went either way, I guess -- that the Hawks wanted him gone, or that CSN was the culprit thinking McD would want him gone. Either way, Josh's conclusion that he was "really" let go because CSN didn't want to pay anybody as much as he wanted fell really flat with me. It's sorta as if he's in denial that it was the story that cost him his job. And who wouldn't feel that way in his shoes? I can picture him and his wife high-fiving one another, thinking that story would move him up in the ranks and make him irreplaceable. To have it all turn around and go so negative so quickly had to be a jolt.

Whatever the case, I don't understand why he wasn't able to find a job somewhere, covering hockey for somebody. The guy is good and knows his stuff. I hope he's able to get back into it at some point.

Kerfuffle

Liked Posts:
Whatever the case, I don't understand why he wasn't able to find a job somewhere, covering hockey for somebody. The guy is good and knows his stuff. I hope he's able to get back into it at some point.

He got blacklisted. People frown on 'gotcha journalism' and Josh running with this story undoubtedly hurts his chances to find a job somewhere else.

puckjim

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He got blacklisted. People frown on 'gotcha journalism' and Josh running with this story undoubtedly hurts his chances to find a job somewhere else.

Disagree. "Gotcha Journalism" is a favorite bastion of the fourth estate.

It's a tough business to get in and a tougher business to stay in.

I'm guessing that he's either doing something now that he likes more, or he needed to find something to pay his bills.

The Tallon story wasn't such scoop that it could lead to a desk full of offers from around the country.

R K

Disagree. "Gotcha Journalism" is a favorite bastion of the fourth estate.

I'm guessing that he's either doing something now that he likes more, or he needed to find something to pay his bills.

The Tallon story wasn't such scoop that it could lead to a desk full of offers from around the country.

Ding!

Kerfuffle

Liked Posts:

I agree with what these last 3 sentences you said, especially the Tallon story not being that big a deal. However, Josh isn't on TV anywhere that I'm aware of so it does beg the question on whether he's now unemployable as a TV commentator due to the questionable ethics on getting this story.

fanof19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
no..you need that staff to hold back Qualifying Offers and such....if they would leak about an argument, they might also leak about what you did. Unless you keep them on the payroll and make sure they can't talk. BTW, IMO I don't believe any leak in the organization takes place without McD wanting it to.

puckjim

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That question was idiotic. How one can presume a lack of ethics in sourcing the story, I don't know. Ugh.

You can't. From what was presented in the blog, there doesn't seem to be any journalistic ethics violations.

Someone got pissed at Josh or he was asking for too much money.

The Hawks had nothing to do with it, though.

R K

You can't. From what was presented in the blog, there doesn't seem to be any journalistic ethics violations.

Someone got pissed at Josh or he was asking for too much money.

The Hawks had nothing to do with it, though.

Bullshit or he'd still be working for Comcast. Chose to believe what you will.

puckjim

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Josh's own words:

And so, in short, the conclusion I reached is that I was let go simply because I made too much money for what the managers at my network had budgeted for the slot.

Sometimes when it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, and smell like a duck, it's a duck.

R K

Josh's own words:

And so, in short, the conclusion I reached is that I was let go simply because I made too much money for what the managers at my network had budgeted for the slot.

Sometimes when it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, and smell like a duck, it's a duck.

In your case, so very true.

E Runs

Liked Posts:

Riiight, tell that to Bob MacKenzie or Larry Brooks, or Helene Elliot or any one whose broken stories accross the years. Hell, most newrooms employ Investigative Reporters for that explicit purpose.

I agree with what these last 3 sentences you said, especially the Tallon story not being that big a deal. However, Josh isn't on TV anywhere that I'm aware of so it does beg the question on whether he's now unemployable as a TV commentator due to the questionable ethics on getting this story.

Or perhaps he chose to turn his career in a different direction?

The fact his position has still not been replaced leads creedence to a combination of both IMO.