Moving on From Fields

Bears Backer 54

Liked Posts:
Fields is here the rest of this season and is still most likely on the roster next year as well and likely will be in the QB competition for the starting job with any competition they bring in here. If Poles and Flus see the same performance from the Oline and receivers the rest of this year and they think a change at QB is the first fix needed, it will be the first decision on their road out of their jobs. The Oline is atrocious and outside of the RB room the offense is completely devoid of talent. I'm all for bringing in legitimate competition at the QB spot but this offense as a whole is just plain garbage.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Fields is here the rest of this season and is still most likely on the roster next year as well and likely will be in the QB competition for the starting job with any competition they bring in here. If Poles and Flus see the same performance from the Oline and receivers the rest of this year and they think a change at QB is the first fix needed, it will be the first decision on their road out of their jobs. The Oline is atrocious and outside of the RB room the offense is completely devoid of talent. I'm all for bringing in legitimate competition at the QB spot but this offense as a whole is just plain garbage.
This is the reason why I don't see them moving on or drafting a QB high. What would be the point? The next QB is going to be in the same shit situation as Fields. Why not use the draft to address the biggest weaknesses on the team, give Fields another year with some talent and see what happens? If he still isn't the guy, then they have another draft and another FA period to take a QB and continuing to build the roster. Putting a rookie in the same situation is going to yield the same results

Use the next two years to build the roster while Fields is on a rookie contract basically. If he turns a corner, great. If not, the next QB will at least have a foundation and talent around him

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is the reason why I don't see them moving on or drafting a QB high. What would be the point? The next QB is going to be in the same shit situation as Fields. Why not use the draft to address the biggest weaknesses on the team, give Fields another year with some talent and see what happens? If he still isn't the guy, then they have another draft and another FA period to take a QB and continuing to build the roster. Putting a rookie in the same situation is going to yield the same results

Use the next two years to build the roster while Fields is on a rookie contract basically. If he turns a corner, great. If not, the next QB will at least have a foundation and talent around him
This. They need to build this team from inside out. Whatever quarterback is under center next year (imo will be Fields) they have to have foundational pieces in place to give him a chance. I am not saying Fields is the long term answer, 11 more games to prove that.

I feel like 2023 will be Justin's "prove it" year, and could possibly be on a short leash etc.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Why do some of you keep saying this? If Poles can’t improve this offense dramatically with 100mil in cap and some draft picks then he’s an idiot.

It’s not going to be the same situation. This is just a complete fallacy.

(And I’m not ready to move on yet… just saying if they did no it would not be the same shit situation)

Last edited:

Butkus34

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Build around Fields and give him the best opportunity to succeed. Build the OL and get some real playmakers for him. Even just getting a few guys that move Mooney to 1b or 2 and everyone else down a notch and Kmet to 2nd TE or Y and get a real move TE and Fields will flourish. Ya, he misses guys and sees guys and doesn't pull the trigger, but he is learning a new system/footwork/dropback/and not completely confident in the OL or his own eyes and what they are seeing on the field in front of him. The flashes are there and the Bears need to build on that.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why do some of you keep saying this? If Poles can’t improve this offense dramatically with 100mil in cap and a some draft picks then he’s an idiot.

(And I’m not ready to move on yet… just saying if they did no it would not be the same shit situation)
I don't see them doing much on offense honestly. I think they will get guard and/or Center possibly. Maybe a second-tier receiver. I fully expect money to spent on DL and possibly CB and in-house extensions / tag for Roquan.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Why do some of you keep saying this? If Poles can’t improve this offense dramatically with 100mil in cap and a some draft picks then he’s an idiot.

I mean I get what you're saying, but when have the Bears ever had a quick turnaround? I just have no faith. Will be interesting for sure to see how Poles attacks this offseason. He does have a lot at his disposal. OL needs re-tooled (at minimum 2 new starters, probably 3). DL needs everything. Need multiple skill guys on offense. Will take most rookies a season to get up to speed.

Edit: But back to my original point - building the roster out while you still have Fields cheap and is still a question mark makes more sense to me. Then in 2024, whatever they do at QB, he will be in a much better position to succeed. I'm also still much higher on Fields than other people given his raw talent

SpinachTeeth

Liked Posts:
Why do some of you keep saying this? If Poles can’t improve this offense dramatically with 100mil in cap and some draft picks then he’s an idiot.

Do we have any objective evidence that he's not an idiot yet though? I'm not saying he is, but I think the jury is still out. It's not like he had NO resources this year. Next year he could spend a lot of money on Roquan and another Ogunjubi, draft 2 more DB's, and we certainly can very well be in the same shit situation with a new rookie QB.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Sounds like Caplan definitely had some inside info when he said that Chicago feels their talent is better than what is being showed.

He was reflecting what the organization feels about Fields.

At this point we need to be honest about what we have and realize if a QB falls to us in the draft we should seriously consider it. Bears may even go with a veteran QB and move Fields to backup next season.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm very subjective in this as I've been a Fields fan as long as anyone, and I think it's too early to give up on him, but I also think Fields himself called it right when he said that there are throws he should make that he's missed as an NFL Quarterback. In watching Josh Allen yesterday, I was impressed by some of the "gimme" short plays he took early on to keep drives moving. Eight or even six yard passes that were positive plays that were not the 15-20 yards (or more) downfield passes that Fields loves. Sometimes you have to keep drives alive so you can get to those chunk plays. And sometimes you have to accept that you just don't have the talent (either on the line or to the receivers) to routinely make those plays, yet. But you'll never get to the point when you can make those plays if you don't start settling for what the defense gives you and understanding situational football. There was a perfect example of this (and I can't remember if it was the last game or the game prior) when even the announcer pointed out that Fields went for a longer target downfield (that he missed on) instead of a player who would have likely gotten the 1st down on a crossing pattern. The drive ended with an in-completion, when it could have continued.

SpinachTeeth

Liked Posts:
I know this could be reckless, but a part of me wants them to almost ignore the D and just build the fuck out of the Offense. There is so many needs and room to improve on OL/WR/TE.

I made a post last year to use all 5 of our draft picks on O-line men. O-line takes time to develop and grow cohesive anyway, and this way we give Fields time to develop, see what he can do with time but average receivers, keep him healthy and we'll still get a top 3 pick (and early picks in every round) b/c our defense just flat out sucks and loses games for us. Then next year focus on defense which is much easier to rebuild in a year than an offense.

It was partially in jest and a thought experiment, but I got destroyed anyway.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I'm very subjective in this as I've been a Fields fan as long as anyone, and I think it's too early to give up on him, but I also think Fields himself called it right when he said that there are throws he should make that he's missed as an NFL Quarterback. In watching Josh Allen yesterday, I was impressed by some of the "gimme" short plays he took early on to keep drives moving. Eight or even six yard passes that were positive plays that were not the 15-20 yards (or more) downfield passes that Fields loves. Sometimes you have to keep drives alive so you can get to those chunk plays. And sometimes you have to accept that you just don't have the talent (either on the line or to the receivers) to routinely make those plays, yet. But you'll never get to the point when you can make those plays if you don't start settling for what the defense gives you and understanding situational football. There was a perfect example of this (and I can't remember if it was the last game or the game prior) when even the announcer pointed out that Fields went for a longer target downfield (that he missed on) instead of a player who would have likely gotten the 1st down on a crossing pattern. The drive ended with an in-completion, when it could have continued.
Yeah, that play was last game. Fields took a deep shot to Mooney. Believe it was 3rd and 5ish and he had a guy open just past the first down market and he went deep. That stuff doesn't worry me as much and will come with experience (you hope at least). Tim Jenkins breakdown of the game made me a feel a bit better - Fields is making correct reads and going thru his progressions. What's concerning right now is Fields accuracy. He's just been off on some throws. Idk if it's mechanics or just timing issues with WRs but it's got to be better if he's going to be a starter.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Do we have any objective evidence that he's not an idiot yet though? I'm not saying he is, but I think the jury is still out. It's not like he had NO resources this year. Next year he could spend a lot of money on Roquan and another Ogunjubi, draft 2 more DB's, and we certainly can very well be in the same shit situation with a new rookie QB.

Fair enough. Agreed, jury is still out.

But it will almost certainly be a different situation. The resources are there.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Sounds like Caplan definitely had some inside info when he said that Chicago feels their talent is better than what is being showed.

He was reflecting what the organization feels about Fields.

At this point we need to be honest about what we have and realize if a QB falls to us in the draft we should seriously consider it. Bears may even go with a veteran QB and move Fields to backup next season.

I will never ever trust Kaplan and "inside info" again.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
I mean I get what you're saying, but when have the Bears ever had a quick turnaround? I just have no faith. Will be interesting for sure to see how Poles attacks this offseason. He does have a lot at his disposal. OL needs re-tooled (at minimum 2 new starters, probably 3). DL needs everything. Need multiple skill guys on offense. Will take most rookies a season to get up to speed.

Edit: But back to my original point - building the roster out while you still have Fields cheap and is still a question mark makes more sense to me. Then in 2024, whatever they do at QB, he will be in a much better position to succeed. I'm also still much higher on Fields than other people given his raw talent
The Bears have not had this much cap space since probably 2010 with Angelo when they got Peppers.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Let's say the Bears have the number 1 pick and Fields is terrible (along with the entire team) the remainder of the season. Even if they go get Stroud or Young, they can still keep Fields on the roster. Why would you not? He is on a rookie deal.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I made a post last year to use all 5 of our draft picks on O-line men. O-line takes time to develop and grow cohesive anyway, and this way we give Fields time to develop, see what he can do with time but average receivers, keep him healthy and we'll still get a top 3 pick (and early picks in every round) b/c our defense just flat out sucks and loses games for us. Then next year focus on defense which is much easier to rebuild in a year than an offense.

It was partially in jest and a thought experiment, but I got destroyed anyway.
Whatever happens, please don't let group-think affect you or get you to stiffle the expression of your opinions. Remember that we're all basically winging it, but more importantly, remember that this is a very frustrated fanbase, that looks to take out frustrations on others rather than just deal with the fact that our team sucks, and with but a couple of exceptions, have sucked for decades ?

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Build around Fields and give him the best opportunity to succeed. Build the OL and get some real playmakers for him. Even just getting a few guys that move Mooney to 1b or 2 and everyone else down a notch and Kmet to 2nd TE or Y and get a real move TE and Fields will flourish. Ya, he misses guys and sees guys and doesn't pull the trigger, but he is learning a new system/footwork/dropback/and not completely confident in the OL or his own eyes and what they are seeing on the field in front of him. The flashes are there and the Bears need to build on that.

Trubisky had flashes too. Lot's of guys flash. Flashes is becoming a dirty word for me.

I want consistency. Show me consistent growth. It can be slow... but show me growth.