Name all the shooting guards better than Gordon

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
List all the SGs in the league who are better than Gordon on the whole for the next 3 seasons:

For sures
Kobe Bryant
Dwyane Wade
Joe Johnson
Brandon Roy

Maybes
Ray Allen (aging)
Michael Redd (injuries / aging / really better?)
Kevin Martin (injuries / really better?)
OJ Mayo (possible, but not right now)
Andre Iguodala

Probably Nots, but not entirely out of possibility
John Salmons
Monta Ellis
Richard Hamilton
Eric Gordon
Russell Westbrook

Am I missing anyone? I put Gordon behind the first 4 guys for sure, but more or less in the middle with the next group with those guys having similar impact via different means of play.

cool007

Liked Posts:
ryguy24 wrote:
Missed Ginobli (when healthy).

With the injuries, I don't think Manu has that many great years left.

I Think Gordon would be incredibly good if he had Duncan.

charity stripe

Liked Posts:
Yup, pretty much.

Kevin Martin I would say definitely no because although he scores more, he has done so on some bad teams, and he is a much worse defender, a poor passer and he is not clutch.

M. Redd of 2-3 years ago was probably better.

Hamilton is not better any longer.

Iguodala is much better as a SF, same with Salmons, so I think they are not included.

Ginobili and J. Terry are probably equal, or marginally better.

Barbosa and JR Smith are not as good.

cool007

Liked Posts:
^^ agree with everything except the J. Terry part.

Jason Terry is NOT better than Gordon.

charity stripe

Liked Posts:
cool007 wrote:
^^ agree with everything except the J. Terry part.

Jason Terry is NOT better than Gordon.

You could make good arguments either way, and both would be right I think. Terry used to be a PG and average 7 assists, so he is a very good ballhandler. He is pretty clutch himself too. But Gordon is a little more explosive scoring wise, and a better 3pt shooter.

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
I'd downgrade Johnson down to Gordon's equal, and put Ray Allen slightly above Gordon right now.

Joe Johnson is a bit better rebounder than Gordon and a better passer, but Gordon is a much better scorer. Gordon shot 57.3 TS% in the regular season, to Johnson's 53.4 TS%. Ben Gordon has been much maligned for his inefficiency during the playoffs...but he still did better than Johnson in the regular season, posting a playoff TS% of 53.6%, playing 53.4% of the series with a torn hamstring. Johnson is shooting 49.4 TS% in the playoffs.

hfritz32

Liked Posts:
Jason Richardsons good but no Ben Gordon,
I dont know if you can even say T-mac when better is healthy
If you consider Kevin Durant a shooting guard becuase he did play there for a while hes better,
And Danny Granger if you want to consider him a sg but hes deff a sf

Shakes

Iconoclast
Liked Posts:
If you have a team situation that can keep him (relatively) sane and you need D more than O from the SG spot I'd also have Ron Artest ahead of Gordon. So he's on the maybe list for me.

TheStig

Liked Posts:
Excellent thread, its a great idea just to show what we maybe potentially losing and where Ben ranks. Despite his weaknesses he is still top 10 at his position easily.

TheStig

Liked Posts:
Shakes wrote:
If you have a team situation that can keep him (relatively) sane and you need D more than O from the SG spot I'd also have Ron Artest ahead of Gordon. So he's on the maybe list for me.
Ron Artest isn't a sg. He is just playing there because Tmac is out and the matchups play out better. Ron Ron has played sf his whole career.

Shakes

Iconoclast
Liked Posts:
TheStig wrote:
Shakes wrote:
Ron Artest isn't a sg. He is just playing there because Tmac is out and the matchups play out better. Ron Ron has played sf his whole career.

You are what position you play. My point is that for at least some teams, Ron Artest is a better fit at SG than Ben.

JimmyBulls

Liked Posts:
Kobe
Wade
Roy
Johnson
Manu
Martin
Iggy
Carter
Redd
Hamilton
Barbosa
Allen

All of the above shooting guards are better than Gordon.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I suppose it depends on where you draw the line between SG and SF. Iguadala, Carter, and Artest can all play SG or SF, but mainly have played SF. Well maybe not Carter, but certainly T-Mac.

Shakes

Iconoclast
Liked Posts:
Dpauley23 wrote:
You must of not watch him play in Chicago then

Ron Artest's Chicago career was 7 years ago, it's not really relevant to this discussion.

TheStig

Liked Posts:
JimmyBulls wrote:
Kobe
Wade
Roy
Johnson
Manu
Martin
Iggy
Carter
Redd
Hamilton
Barbosa
Allen

All of the above shooting guards are better than Gordon.
About half that list is debatable and more equal then better than. Barbosa? Really? Someone really must not like BG.

TheStig

Liked Posts:
Shakes wrote:
TheStig wrote:
Shakes wrote:

You are what position you play. My point is that for at least some teams, Ron Artest is a better fit at SG than Ben.
And Ron Artest didn't play SG all year for the Rockets. According to 82games.com, he didn't play a minute there. So again, he isn't an SG.

JimmyBulls

Liked Posts:
There is no debate with the players my list. They are better than Gordon no matter how you try to spin Gordon's worth.

As far as Barbosa is concerned, they are both one tool players and Barbosa is a better more complete scorer. I like BG7, but i'm not blind to the facts.

TheStig

Liked Posts:
clonetrooper264 wrote:
I suppose it depends on where you draw the line between SG and SF. Iguadala, Carter, and Artest can all play SG or SF, but mainly have played SF. Well maybe not Carter, but certainly T-Mac.
I'd say you can draw the line where the player plays most of his minutes at. Carter is a SG and Iggy and Artest mainly play SF.