"NFL Executives" Grade Every Team's Offseason ESPN

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
Chicago Bears Grade: B-
This Bears offseason comes down to whether Matt Nagy is the right choice as head coach. Most execs liked the decision to select Roquan Smith eighth overall, despite some concerns over positional value for a 3-4 inside linebacker that early. They were less thrilled about the offensive skill players Chicago added in free agency. They loved the decision to use the transition tag for cornerback Kyle Fuller despite some questions about the price paid.

"Chicago is a possible 'A' grade for me," an exec said. "Nagy has a good mind, he's a leader, he is gregarious, he is everything you are going to want in a head coach. They brought in players who fit what he wants to do, with the only real bad contract being the Taylor Gabriel one."

The 5-foot-8 Gabriel signed for $6.5 million per year, with $14 million guaranteed. One exec predicted Gabriel will have a harder time producing late in the season as weather and field conditions worsen. He thought Gabriel belonged on a team with an indoor stadium.

"And then on Fuller, a year ago, they were trying to trade him," this exec said. "Now he is worth $14 million? Using the transition tag was brilliant -- it was the only way they were going to sign him -- but teams just don't have financial discipline. They're scared."

One exec said he'd rather be Chicago than Buffalo based on how the teams are set up, but even if the Bears are in a better spot, are they better than fourth in the NFC North this season?

"I don't know if I would jump on the Bears bandwagon so fast," an evaluator said. "The guard situation scares the heck out of me with Kyle Long unsure. You have Allen Robinson coming off injury, Leonard Floyd coming off injury, Kyle Long coming off injury, and then I'm not sure they have the DBs to cover the receivers in that division. I think they are still the fourth team in the NFC North."

gilder121

Donator
Liked Posts:
Lions:

Detroit Lions Grade: D

The Lions hired Matt Patricia as their head coach without knowing he had been indicted on serious criminal charges two decades ago. The case never went to trial. Patricia forcefully denied wrongdoing and said he was being targeted unfairly. The bottom line is that the public records were readily available to the Lions or anyone else researching candidates. Detroit should have been more thorough in its process. That lapse knocks down the Lions' offseason grade.

"On the field, one piece that was a positive for them is they will have more of an emphasis on getting their running game going," an exec said, alluding to the additions of LeGarrette Blount, Kerryon Johnson and first-round center/guard Frank Ragnow. "I do not know how consistent it is going to be, and then I have no idea what their defense is going to look like with the changeover and the pieces they have. This is another team in flux. [Matthew] Stafford will give them a chance every Sunday, but offseason-move-wise, I do not feel like they got better."

gilder121

Donator
Liked Posts:
Packers:

Green Bay Packers Grade: C+

Ted Thompson, Dom Capers and Jordy Nelson are out. Brian Gutenkunst, Mike Pettine and Jimmy Graham are in. One constant: Green Bay again loaded up on the secondary in the draft. The Packers have selected a league-high seven defensive backs in the first two rounds of the past four drafts, including two more in 2018 with corners Jaire Alexander and Josh Jackson.

Before the draft, Green Bay was also in the mix for the Bears' Kyle Fuller, signing the free-agent corner to an offer sheet, which Chicago matched.

"They built that Titletown District outside and actually have a sledding hill, but I want to know when they get the top-five pass defense with 26 interceptions after taking all these DBs," an exec said.

The 2011 Packers had 31 interceptions, the highest single-season total for any team in the league since 2006, when Mike McCarthy became head coach. The 2009 Packers had 30, but the 2017 team had only 11, which ranked 20th in the league and matched a McCarthy-era Packers low.

"Green Bay has to take corners because they missed on [Damarious] Randall, they missed on [Quinten] Rollins, they probably missed on the Washington kid last year [Kevin King]," an evaluator said. "It's so important you do not miss on your picks because then you are spinning your tires or, like the Giants, you overpay in free agency."

gilder121

Donator
Liked Posts:
Vikings:

Minnesota Vikings Grade: B

The Vikings finally stabilized their quarterback situation for the long term. The three-year, $84 million price paid for Kirk Cousins makes them a fascinating case study.

"They went out and said, 'We've talked ourselves through the professional tape and Kirk Cousins makes more throws in more situations than Case Keenum, so he is going to give us that little nudge we need to win those games when the defense is not at its best,'" an exec said. "I believe he is capable of doing that. The rest is fit, and I'm not going to get into whether he's aloof and what his teammates think of him and whether that is why [Redskins president] Bruce Allen didn't like him and called him 'Kurt' during his press conferences."

The difference between the price for Cousins and what former starter Case Keenum is getting from Denver is about what it would have taken to keep running back Jerick McKinnon, but he never seemed to be a priority. Meanwhile, the Vikings have already re-signed linebacker Eric Kendricks.

"They still have Anthony Barr, Danielle Hunter and Stefon Diggs to pay, and then with Kirk, he is a good player, but he simply cannot finish games consistently," an exec said. "He was not a finisher at Michigan State and he is not a finisher in the league."

Is that really true? Since 2015, Cousins trails only Andrew Luck, Russell Wilson and Tom Brady in QBR during the final 7:30 of games when his team trailed by as many as eight points. There's still a perception that Cousins implodes at the most critical junctures. However, two other execs said they would have done what the Vikings did, albeit with some reservations.

"Not that I think Kirk Cousins is worth all that money, but in terms of upgrading the quarterback position, keeping their team intact and starting to extend their own guys, they did well," one of these execs said. "They re-signed Kendricks and now they are working on the other three guys. I think they can pull it off. They've got the cap room over the next few years. They could always pick two of the three guys to extend and trade the other one."

"They still have Anthony Barr, Danielle Hunter and Stefon Diggs to pay, and then with Kirk, he is a good player, but he simply cannot finish games consistently. He was not a finisher at Michigan State and he is not a finisher in the league." An NFL exec

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
It's a fair grade. I feel they had a good offseason but it's fair to remain skeptical seeing how much of a shit show this team has been in the past.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
I think the grades given now should be based on the decisions the teams made. It seems like the grades are being given for the "assumed" outcome, which makes no sense. By almost all measures, the Bears made great decisions for improving their team in the offseason, as blue-printed by PHI and LA.

napo55

Liked Posts:
Yep, it pretty much comes down to how AR, Floyd, and Long recover from season ending injuries-and whether they continue to be the most injury prone team in the NFL.

Washington

Liked Posts:
Seems legitimate to me. Lots of guys coming off injuries. Only one real PB level player on the roster (Hicks). The new HC is unproven and had limited play calling experience in the NFL. That was an interesting take on Gabriel. I wonder what they feel about the Burton contract.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
People are batshit crazy if they actually believe for a second that there is only one good player on the team. Its literally impossible to be a top 10 defense with only one good player. Just stop.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Great stuff, thanks for posting.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think they easily had the best offseason in the division and debatably, the league. Obviously we can't know that yet but this year's success isn't just about this offseason but a cumulative effect of the last 3 years plus this offseason. Long will play and play well and one G position isn't putting me off this team, especially when they have enough bodies to work with and really, early 2nd round Gs are drafted to start. Don't understand the money concerns for a team with our cap space and our DBs should be more than competent. What we need is some leads to allow the D to attack and help our DBs even more. I expect to be 3rd in the division but that doesn't speak to the overall quality of the offseason.

All that said, decent stuff. Thanks.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I agree that we'll be the 4th best team in the North again, but not because we didn't improve enough. It's just that the other 3 teams are better, imo. Maybe we can get Detroit, but I don't think so.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Bears homers: you can't live with them, you can't chop them up into little pieces and put them in an oil barrell

Washington

Liked Posts:
People are batshit crazy if they actually believe for a second that there is only one good player on the team. Its literally impossible to be a top 10 defense with only one good player. Just stop.

Who has ever stated there is only one good player on the team? There is a difference though in being good and being a difference maker (i.e. Pro Bowl level player). A team needs some elite players to become a good team.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Who said there is only one good player on the team?

What is happening?

Please god don't become a militant homer. Before even training camp for fucks sake. You're too rational of a poster. Leave that shit to the fuckidiots on reddit that just stopped talking about Cutler last week.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree that we'll be the 4th best team in the North again, but not because we didn't improve enough. It's just that the other 3 teams are better, imo. Maybe we can get Detroit, but I don't think so.

NFCN has been real tough for a couple years and the safe bet is that it will continue to be, but shit, any one of these teams could fall apart rapidly.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I could see lions or vikings or both having a melt down season